PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade a G4 from an iMac

jtalborough
Apr 14, 2004, 03:48 PM
Lately Iíve been thinking about upgrading my Powermac (G4 450 Sawtooth AGP Graphics) The only thing is those upgrade cards from sonnet, Other World Computing, ect are expensive and with the upgrade to the eMacs I can get a whole new computer for only a couple hundered more (screen, drive, RAM, DVD-R ect). My question is if I purchase a new eMac can I swap out the G4 processor into my Powermac (I need the PCI slots for protools) and then hopefully swap my G4 450 into the new eMac? Is this possible and does anyone have experience doing it? Thanks

blue&whiteman
Apr 14, 2004, 04:04 PM
Lately Iíve been thinking about upgrading my Powermac (G4 450 Sawtooth AGP Graphics) The only thing is those upgrade cards from sonnet, Other World Computing, ect are expensive and with the upgrade to the eMacs I can get a whole new computer for only a couple hundered more (screen, drive, RAM, DVD-R ect). My question is if I purchase a new eMac can I swap out the G4 processor into my Powermac (I need the PCI slots for protools) and then hopefully swap my G4 450 into the new eMac? Is this possible and does anyone have experience doing it? Thanks

I really really doubt it can be done.

applemacdude
Apr 14, 2004, 04:35 PM
No...the chipset on the emac is diffrent than the one on the G4 tower....and the g4 on the emac is soldered in