Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I was wondering could somebody help me design a welcome page for my website. This is the welcome page i am currently working on , is it too simple.

home.libertycrd.com

I reallly like this website welcome page: jeepz.com

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I was wondering could somebody help me design a welcome page for my website. This is the welcome page i am currently working on , is it too simple.

home.libertycrd.com

I reallly like this website welcome page: jeepz.com

wow thats going to start an old argument...

*runs and hides*

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
waloshin - you might want to clarify what your budget is for this project. Otherwise, people here might think you're asking for free work.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
waloshin - you might want to clarify what your budget is for this project. Otherwise, people here might think you're asking for free work.

Well i am not asking for someone to totally design it, just some pointers on colors, and a simple layout.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Swiftlives - I'll be surprised if we get a response saying the op will pay the going rate, this is a forum and we all offer to do our work for free remember :rolleyes:

To waloshin - there are rules in place regarding the request for free work.

edit (in relation to above)
Um you've already said you like the second site so work around that concept, there isn't too much else that we can do without totally designing it for you :rolleyes:

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Well i am not asking for someone to totally design it, just some pointers on colors, and a simple layout.

If you come up with a proof layout of what you think you would like, we would be happy to give you advice on layout and colours to make it better but we won't create the whole design for you.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I was wondering when someone would post that link :D

What can I say I like being the first person to post it :D

Helping a person is one thing asking to create a design which does take time, effort and resources with the appropriate restitution is where I draw the line.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
What can I say I like being the first person to post it :D

Helping a person is one thing asking to create a design which does take time, effort and resources with the appropriate restitution is where I draw the line.

Tell me about it - I worked on a job for nearly 50 hours (had to colour correct about 100 images on screen then print out hundreds on colour prints) then for the client to walk away from the job, all because the sale rep wouldn't return his calls and the boss didn't get deposit or get him to sign a contract.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Tell me about it - I worked on a job for nearly 50 hours (had to colour correct about 100 images on screen then print out hundreds on colour prints) then for the client to walk away from the job, all because the sale rep wouldn't return his calls and the boss didn't get deposit or get him to sign a contract.

I had a similar thing happen as well... I created a surf report for a broadcaster which right at the last minute after 8 revisions was axed only for them to develop it in house for free...

I love what I do but I hate being taken for a ride.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC

Colors and a simple layout = design. Sorry.

That being said, if you'd like to post what you've come up with so far, we'll be more than happy to give some pointers. But please show us that you've made an honest effort to do this project yourself. Otherwise, this thread is going to become a dark and scary place very quickly.

There needs to be a sticky that says "asking for help is forbidden"

Asking for help is not forbidden! Please don't spread that misconception.

The only thing we ask is for people to make a good-faith effort to initiate a project themselves. From there, we're all very happy to share tips and pointers and give advice. Where we draw the line is where people ask us to do initial conceptual work for them.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005

That being said, if you'd like to post what you've come up with so far, we'll be more than happy to give some pointers. But please show us that you've made an honest effort to do this project yourself. Otherwise, this thread is going to become a dark and scary place very quickly.

The only thing we ask is for people to make a good-faith effort to initiate a project themselves. From there, we're all very happy to share tips and pointers and give advice. Where we draw the line is where people ask us to do initial conceptual work for them.

Great post, and I totally agree with you. It's not the critique or sharing ideas people have an issue with it doing work for nothing which is a gripe with 90% of designers out there.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008

Here is what I got so far: libertycrd.com

Does this welcome page make you want to explore the site or just leave? Is that background too harh?

motoxpress

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
My question is, why even have this page? Make a real homepage as this is not helping you at all. You lose most people on a page like this.

-gl

bbeers

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2007
Maryland
Just some thoughts

My question is, why even have this page? Make a real homepage as this is not helping you at all. You lose most people on a page like this.

-gl

I agree, create a homepage instead of a splash page. If you ask me (and in a round about way you kinda did), splash pages are a thing of the past. I have never really liked them. Have you end user go straight into the homepage of the site. If you don't really have a homepage to speak of, pick one of the blog to be a main source of your content and go from there.

Also I think the logo could use a little work. Changing the font types in the middle of Libertycrd.com makes me see Liberty as a separate word that happens to be next to crd.com. If you use one typeface for LIBERTYcrd.com but use capitals or difference in sizing you can get the same effect, but it will work much better for you.

Also with the logo, is you primary target Liberty owners or Jeep owners in general. Because right now the text says Liberty, but the logo screams Wrangler. I know that you are using the jeep logo, but maybe play with the same idea, but use the liberty headlight patterns. Just a thought.

I miss my Jeep

Brendan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.