PDA

View Full Version : Milestone Birthday Inspires Healthy Choice

wdlove
Apr 14, 2004, 08:01 PM
Woman Starts Running After Years Of Sedentary Lifestyle

UPDATED: 12:22 p.m. EDT April 13, 2004
People decide to lead a healthier lifestyle for a variety of reasons. It might be a doctor's order or a look in the mirror and a pledge to get fit.

For Francesca Low (pictured, left), it was one more birthday and one more blood pressure point.

Low spends her workday in front of a computer and on the phone. Despite a relatively sedentary job, obesity was not an issue. Then she had a milestone birthday.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/2998303/detail.html?treets=bos&tml=bos_health&ts=T&tmi=bos_health_1_12150104142004

Sparky's
Apr 14, 2004, 08:16 PM
I made that trip when I was 50. Unfortunately it was a little late for me in some areas. I had my annual physical, OK cholesterol was 315, BP 140/100, 40 lbs overweight. Damn!!! made a decision to change my life. in the meantime my doctor gets me to get a colonoscopy (things you do at 50). Well mine showed up 3 polyps one of which was cancerous. Dougs level 4 for those who know (out of 5, 5 being just about dead). So I had 6" of my colon removed, and 4 months of very intense chemotherapy. So far so good, 2 years later and I'm still cancer free (hurrah). but 2 weeks ago I go to the emergency room with extreme abdominal pain and to make a long story short had to have surgery to remove a burst gallbladder. Still I'm sticking to my diet (Iíve lost 20 of the 40 lbs) I try to walk 2 miles a day and either get on my rowing machine or bike as often as possible. Needless to say I'm a little scared right now, and still getting older. I've got 20 more lbs to go and what I hope is many more years to work on. :p

So I guess I can relate to the article.

PS I'm a graphics designer and photographer, but most of my day is spent sitting in front of this damn computer. If I could just figure a way to mount a laptop to my bike :rolleyes:

wdlove
Apr 14, 2004, 10:00 PM
Thank you for sharing Sparky's. Sometimes it relieves tension to talk about problems. Have you been able to get you cholesterol and BP lowered? Any problems after surgery?

Skeeball236
Apr 14, 2004, 10:37 PM
del

Roger1
Apr 15, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sparky's
GOOD FOR YOU on losing the weight. As a fat person, I know how hard it is to lose the weight, and keep it off. DON'T GIVE UP :D

Sparky's
Apr 15, 2004, 07:36 PM
Recovery is going OK on this one, but I got to say when you see or hear of someone going through chemo, it's hell!! Part of the medication is a steroid that helps the main drug get into your system. All well and good but all I could do is eat and eat and eat. When I went into the hospital I was down to 176 (June 24 2002), and at the new year I was back up to 210. :( but the worst part was that I became very edgy yelled at my boss, snapped at my wife for no good reason, and wanted to drag people from their cars and beat them to a pulp because they cut me off or ran a red light I already had a short temper but combine that with steroids and you have the Hulk with road rage!! :mad: I figured the best thing for me was a little anger management so I sought help and it helped ;) Trying to gain strength after an ordeal like that is time consuming and trying to diet is not the best thing. Now after my last surgery I have returned to work (on a limited basis) and am getting my strength back much quicker. I'm down to 190 and holding for now but I hope to be at 170 by the end of the year.

Thanks to all for the well wishes

Sparky