Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Interesting–There are 3.4X the posts in MacBook Pro forum vs MacBook forum...

Have you ever noticed this?

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
And this matters why?

If you're wondering why macbook owners, like me, post here, it's because some of the problems with the macbook pros are similar to the ones found on the macbooks, so the solutions to the problems can be interchanged between the two...at least that's my theory.

And also, there seem to be more people with MBPs that are more likely to actually post on forums, since the majority (I'm in the minority) of MB owners are gonna be people that don't really know where to look for help and stuff.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And also, there seem to be more people with MBPs that are more likely to actually post on forums, since the majority (I'm in the minority) of MB owners are gonna be people that don't really know where to look for help and stuff.

That's an "interesting" theory. Where did you hear this? :confused:

I think there are probably more threads in here because there are more options, and therefore, things to consider when you buy a MBP. With the MBs, you only need to consider the processor speed, backlit keyboard, and price difference. With the 15" MBPs, you need to consider the size of the screen you want, processor options, whether having an 8 GB max RAM limit is worth paying a bit more, glossy vs matte (and corresponding arguments), differences in the bezel colour (and corresponding arguments), whether to get the 17" because of the superior battery, and several other things I probably didn't mention. And that's just recently.

Years ago, you had 3 different PowerBook screen sizes (versus 2 iBook sizes), Combo Drive versus SuperDrive (iBooks didn't get SuperDrives until pretty late), and all the differences that came with it. The forum count also reflects these old posts, I think. I don't know if they got reset.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
And this matters why?

Don't be so defensive.

I simply noticed the statistical variance. My theory is that MBP owners are a higher-end user and demand perfection and make noise when there is a (perceived) deviation from that (perceived) perfection. MBP owners might also do more stuff with their machines that MB owners, who knows....

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Actually, there used to be only one notebook forum, which lives on as the MacBook Pro forum while the MacBook and MacBook Air forums were created later. At the time of the split, we moved a bunch of stuff over to "seed" the new forums, but if you go back far enough in the MacBook Pro forum, you'll find a lot of MacBook/iBook stuff. So it's not a fair comparison.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Actually, there used to be only one notebook forum, which lives on as the MacBook Pro forum while the MacBook and MacBook Air forums were created later. At the time of the split, we moved a bunch of stuff over to "seed" the new forums, but if you go back far enough in the MacBook Pro forum, you'll find a lot of MacBook/iBook stuff. So it's not a fair comparison.

It is interesting that the same does not apply for the Desktop section of this forum: Mac Pro / iMac numbers are closer to equal...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It is interesting that the same does not apply for the Desktop section of this forum: Mac Pro / iMac numbers are closer to equal...

The Mac Pro forum dates back to a time when everything (desktops and notebooks) was in one forum, so it too as a lot of non-Power Mac or Mac Pro topics in it. My hunch is that if everything were categorized correctly, the iMac forum would have more threads than the Mac Pro forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.