Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phluid13

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2007
Just wanted to post my temps for World of Warcraft. Any thoughts? I am running all settings at their highest in WoW and gameplay is super smooth. I am extremely impressed with the way the MBP handles gameplay. Any thoughts on my temps? I know temps have been discussed before to no end, but thought a gameplay temp thread would be appropriate for those specific users wanting to know if their computer under gameplay load had normal temps. From what I have read under other threads, this seems to be normal. Everyone else experiencing these kinds of temps under gameplay?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 218

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Seems "normal", at least by Apple's standards. And yes, most of us do experience similar temperatures when running new modern games on a MBP on high settings. I see similar temps whenever I log in to play Call of Duty or Crysis in Boot Camp.

Just make sure you have some air flow underneath the laptop. Not a good idea to play on surfaces like the carpet or your lap!! :p

Also, please don't put your MBP to sleep while you are playing a CPU/GPU intensive game (i.e., closing the lid in the middle of a WOW session). Let the machine cool off by logging out of the game and letting everything idle for a while. Once the CPU/GPU cool off to their normal idle temps, then put it to sleep. Usually just takes a minute or two and this prolongs the life of the MBP exponentially.

Nate025

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Yeah those figures look consistent with the ones I get playing WoW, and it looks like we have a similar setup save for the HD size. I also do use a laptop pad in general when I'm on the 9600 card because of the heat.

As a side note, if you enjoy the fps you're getting now just wait until 3.1 goes live. I frequently keep my view distance and terrain/clutter detail down in Northrend and especially around Dalaran to avoid choppiness and general lag. However, in the PTR I've got all settings maxed out (including shadows), and the performance is just outstanding compared to what it is now with the coding overhaul they did. :D

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
what program is that? ^^^ Thanks.

iStatpro from iSlayer.

i know that there is a lot of debate about this, but i never like my computer getting above 70 degrees C. i use a cooling stating that even with gaming keeps it under 70. i would recommend the same. while it is ok that its running that high i would do it just to prolong the life. a "peace of mind" kind of thing

toyotaoffroadca

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2009
Canada
I notice that SMC Fan control is a little slow to automatically adjust to temps. Ex. My temps increase to 82-84C before the fans ramp up to 6000rpm from 4000rpm(which I have set as default) Once the fans finally kick in the temps stay around 72-74C. I guess just setting up a 6000rpm profile and selecting it prior to starting the game would be the best option to eliminate the temperature spike.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
iStatpro from iSlayer.

i know that there is a lot of debate about this, but i never like my computer getting above 70 degrees C. i use a cooling stating that even with gaming keeps it under 70. i would recommend the same. while it is ok that its running that high i would do it just to prolong the life. a "peace of mind" kind of thing

You use a cooling ? what... sorry if I'm misreading here but that sentence left me confused. I am guessing you menat "cooling pad" or something? I run alot of video and once in a while do some gaming but it seems to run mid 80's most of the time. I'm all for running it cooler as yes over long periods of time heat is any electronic parts enemy.

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
You use a cooling ? what... sorry if I'm misreading here but that sentence left me confused. I am guessing you menat "cooling pad" or something? I run alot of video and once in a while do some gaming but it seems to run mid 80's most of the time. I'm all for running it cooler as yes over long periods of time heat is any electronic parts enemy.

yea sorry i meant to say station.

im so paranoid about heat in my computers. i wish i could put liquid cooling in my laptop. i had it in my old alienware pc and it's incredible what a difference it makes. but for now im "cool" with my cooling station/pad.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
yea sorry i meant to say station.

im so paranoid about heat in my computers. i wish i could put liquid cooling in my laptop. i had it in my old alienware pc and it's incredible what a difference it makes. but for now im "cool" with my cooling station/pad.

May I ask which one you use? I've seen several but mixed reviews as to some people saying they didn't work well or were too loud etc.. any info would be appreciated :)

ViciousShadow21

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
To your left or right
May I ask which one you use? I've seen several but mixed reviews as to some people saying they didn't work well or were too loud etc.. any info would be appreciated :)

i spent a long time looking for one and this is the best one that i have found. it was perfect for my iBook but the MBP hangs off the sides a little bit but its not really a problem

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/p...d=154&osCsid=6eec6142cd5fd96c2a6b0c573e83537f

EDIT: just so you are aware; i use this only when i use my ACD setup. the wrist rest is a little high to use on your lap. damn computer is too thin haha

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City

ALiMacDaddy

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Well, for WoW I entered the command /console maxfps 40 or /console maxfps= 40. One or the other, I've forgotten. Limits the frames per second to 40 which is plenty. I haven't seen temps go over 72 degrees while playing since.

It isn't going to help with playing other games, but it should take care of your WoW heat issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.