Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kurt Cobain

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
CA
As Im working my way to a new G5 in the near future, I came up with another question.
I was already told in here that I could use my PC3200 RAM chips, which is great cause I've got quite a bunch of them.

I also have another valuable device and that is a SERIAL wacom tablet 12x12. Since its old, I had to get a USB Adaptor for my ex-PC. That wasnt stable enough so I got a PCI card with two serial outputs on it. I plugged the wacom tablet in it, and that was working simply great.

I was wondering, could I use that PCI card on a powermac (g4/g5) or is it completely based on a different platform structure so I basically waste my time hoping it will work?

I know that AGP cards wont match due to the same reason, but maybe for the PCI slots its different? :D

Assuming I wont be able to use a PC card, do you guys think its enough to have a simple USB adaptor for this matter (like a cable convertor).

THANKS A LOT!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I have an old Belkin USB-serial adapter that I no longer use because of a lack of a need. You can get a PCI card from Keyspan that has four Macintosh serial ports--Geoport compatible possibly.

There is another possibility. Wacom will upgrade your tablet to USB. I don't know the routine but it's been done in the past, so you should probably contact them to see what they say about your model.

Kurt Cobain

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2003
CA
sorry to bump this thread, but just for a general info, IOGEAR USB/serial convectors DO HAVE mac drivers.
This rules, it saved me lots of greens on a USB 12x12 tablet only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.