Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
Well, I recently bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 17" unibody after spending a ***** load of savings because I was convinced that the battery life and resolution would be beneficial. For the most part it has been.

Today it dawned on me, a lot of people are complaining about the price of the Macbook Pro, and are going to get the new Macbook not for portability, but because of price.

Why don't they just get a refurb Macbook Pro for $1349 that could absolutely kill the new unibody Macbook (which has a ***** screen, I'd like to add)? Is it because of looks (do they think the new Macbook looks outdated)?

Why? I'm interested to know.

Markov

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Philadelphia
Well... the new Uni's have a faster front side bus, DDR3 memory which is clocked faster than the classic 17", two graphics cards, longer battery life, easily accessible HDD... and I'm sure there are more fine details I'm not aware of.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Well, I recently bought a refurbished Macbook Pro 17" unibody after spending a ***** load of savings because I was convinced that the battery life and resolution would be beneficial. For the most part it has been.

Today it dawned on me, a lot of people are complaining about the price of the Macbook Pro, and are going to get the new Macbook not for portability, but because of price.

Why don't they just get a refurb Macbook Pro for $1349 that could absolutely kill the new unibody Macbook (which has a ***** screen, I'd like to add)? Is it because of looks (do they think the new Macbook looks outdated)?

Why? I'm interested to know.

well it's definitely not because of looks. I actually prefer the boxy shape and all silver color of the classic MBP.

Yeah I've been thinking of just getting a refurb but what do i do with my Apple student developer discount? I graduate in two months and it'll be a waste not to use it after paying for it.

That along with the 8600 gpu issue thought with Apple covering it for 2 years I'm willing to risk it.

to be honest...buying a laptop shouldn't be this hard :eek:

pyromaniaque

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Well..Ask your mother.
Well... the new Uni's have a faster front side bus, DDR3 memory which is clocked faster than the classic 17", two graphics cards, longer battery life, easily accessible HDD... and I'm sure there are more fine details I'm not aware of.

All the benchmarks show that that makes no difference when it comes to the Macbook being a better machine than the pro, which it isn't.

the new macbooks have 1 gfx card.

faster front side bus doesnt make it outperform the old pro. :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Well Im still sitting on my lowly powebook which is going to hit its 4th birthday this year. It is starting to get a bit slow and I would do anything to be able to be in the situation to pick between the old macbook pro and the new macbook!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
And the old 15" MBP had a better battery life than the new 15" MBP for very light computer use, but is especially true when you watch a film off your harddisk. The difference is like 30 minutes or so. It's quite a lot.

capriseyhaze

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
florida
Well Im still sitting on my lowly powebook which is going to hit its 4th birthday this year. It is starting to get a bit slow and I would do anything to be able to be in the situation to pick between the old macbook pro and the new macbook!

awww its ok man. you will get one soon. good things come to good people. karma is real. do good things and somehow you will be in a postion to get what you want. and im not being sarcastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.