Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
What are all the possibilities of things that can be connected to the S/PDIF port on a Tascam FW-1082 Interface. Is all it does is expand the input by 2 channels, and that is the only possible thing to do with it? What device would give me these 2 channels? I think behringer makes one?

Attachments

• i-44-147-64-1-DBC1A255.jpg
    i-44-147-64-1-DBC1A255.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 131

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
What are all the possibilities of things that can be connected to the S/PDIF port on a Tascam FW-1082 Interface. Is all it does is expand the input by 2 channels, and that is the only possible thing to do with it? What device would give me these 2 channels? I think behringer makes one?

Are you asking "what can I connect to my s/pdif input?"

• Some keyboards have spdif outputs. This allows the sound to get into the DAW without going through any analog stages.
  • CD, DAT and DVD players might have an spdif output
  • Outboard D/A and A/D converters would have spdif
  • If you are mixing surround sound you can send spdif to a surround sound process and then to a 5.1 speaker system

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
mmk, the only thing I would care to connect to it would be a A/D converter. That would give me two more inputs, right? Thanks :)

Dr Sound

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Roxborough Park Colorado

Yes it really only gives you 2 extra Channels.. Very Trendy, but hardly ever used..

Although when you ask the Possibilities I would have to say endless..

clownjuggles

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
I never thought of that. I know Edirol has some monitors with SPDIF outputs. (Yea, I'm on a budget, no Adam's for me, haha)

The Stereo96 A/D looks pretty good, at $900 though, its nearly twice the cost of the 1082.

I use a SPDIF to Neutrick AES converter to run my Genelecs since most units have not got a straight AES out even the 5 grand Prism Sound Orpheus doesn't have dedicated AES out just a SPDIF that can send AES data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.