Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
The other night i went out and bought a 2nd monitor. I have 2 19" Philips CRT monitors now. I went to plug the 2nd one into the back of my computer but the DVI-to-VGA cord did not fit into the 2nd slot. The first one fit fine, so 1 monitor works. For the 2nd slot, the slot was larger than the adapter plug. What do i need to get to make this work now? Do I need an DVI-to-ADC adapter? I called apple but the person i talked to didnt have any idea what i was talking about

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
ok sorry...this is going to go into stupid mode here...I have my working monitor hooked up to the monitor connector thing on the left (if you are looking at the back of the g5)...the not working one was going to be plugged into the (ADC PORT??, i think) and the port is too big, so i just wanna make sure i have to buy an DVI to adc convertor...i can feel myself getting more dumb

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-man says....yes, we need to know more about the specific hardware (the video card) that you are trying to connect the two monitors to. My guess however, is that the card has a DVI and an ADC connection...so what you may need is an ADC->VGA adapter...but again, without more info we are just guessing....oh yeah!

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
hey, I just have my G5, and my question for you is (since I'm using both the DVI and the ADC to hook up my 2 monitors)
Did you use the standard DVI->VGA cable provided with you G5 to hook up the first one?
If so for the second one its quite obvious since its the ADC that DVI->VGA will not be an option.
I have a Dr Bott ADC->VGA adaptor, works just fine ;-)

greetings J

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 29, 2003
Jo-Kun said:
hey, I just have my G5, and my question for you is (since I'm using both the DVI and the ADC to hook up my 2 monitors)
Did you use the standard DVI->VGA cable provided with you G5 to hook up the first one?
If so for the second one its quite obvious since its the ADC that DVI->VGA will not be an option.
I have a Dr Bott ADC->VGA adaptor, works just fine ;-)

greetings J

Ok I went out and got that today from the apple store...but now my problem is when i turn my computer on, 1 (the old monitor) shows up and has everything on it while the 2nd monitor is all black, but i can scroll over to it. The g5 detects the monitor but wont put anything on it...what should i do?

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
Sideonecincy said:
Ok I went out and got that today from the apple store...but now my problem is when i turn my computer on, 1 (the old monitor) shows up and has everything on it while the 2nd monitor is all black, but i can scroll over to it. The g5 detects the monitor but wont put anything on it...what should i do?

try systempreferences displays and click detect display... normally that schould work... if its not... hmm no idea, mine found them both at startup and I just had to choose the resolution and wich one is the 'master' (the G5 selects the one on the adc standard as main window...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.