PDA

View Full Version : 'MLB.com At Bat' Returns for 2009

MacRumors
Mar 30, 2009, 08:57 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/30/mlb-com-at-bat-returns-for-2009/)

MLB.com At Bat 2009 [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=309327900&mt=8), $9.99] has appeared in the App Store, reviving one of last year's popular sports apps and adding in-game audio for all Major League Baseball games during the 2009 season.

Featuring exclusive pitch type, location and speed data from MLB.com Gameday, plus real-time box scores, play-by-play and video highlights, it's the fastest, most detailed way to follow games on your iPhone or iPod touch.

And new for 2009, At Bat includes MLB.com Gameday Audio. You can listen to every regular season and Postseason game LIVE, with your choice of the home or visiting team's announcers.

The 2008 version of the application debuted midway through the season at a price point of $4.99 and was featured in an iPhone commercial (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/10/15/new-iphone-ad-game-changer/).

Last year's version continues to exist as MLB.com At Bat Lite [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=281969989&mt=8)], a free application that has been providing full coverage of the now-completed World Baseball Classic, as well as Major League Baseball spring training, which is wrapping up in just a few days. For the 2009 regular season and playoffs, MLB.com At Bat Lite will provide real-time scores and schedules, but will not offer the advanced features found in the paid version.

Article Link: 'MLB.com At Bat' Returns for 2009 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/03/30/mlb-com-at-bat-returns-for-2009/)

themanfromvlad
Mar 30, 2009, 09:38 AM
Before you buy, this App still has the same huge bug present in last year's edition: you can't see or select Montreal Expos games. Pretty ridiculous.

Bodhi395
Mar 30, 2009, 09:41 AM
Anyone know if you have to be mlb.com subscriber to be able to access the gameday audio?

Also, I'm hoping they eventually add real time video to this app.

Theraker007
Mar 30, 2009, 09:50 AM
Before you buy, this App still has the same huge bug present in last year's edition: you can't see or select Montreal Expos games. Pretty ridiculous.

this isnt funny btw

abnospam
Mar 30, 2009, 09:51 AM
big question: can the gameday audio access be used on my computer as well? Or do I have to pay another $10 for that?

sharp65
Mar 30, 2009, 09:58 AM
Gameday audio doesn't cost extra, no you can't access it on your computer. You would need an MLB Gamday Audio subscription.

ejrizo
Mar 30, 2009, 10:18 AM
I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.

purd002
Mar 30, 2009, 10:51 AM
It was $4.99 last year because the app was introduced half-way thru the season. They aren't charging twice as much this year, they are just offering the whole season. To stream on your computer is $14.95, personally i find this app tons more useful - you can always output the audio via the headphone jack!

Jeremy1026
Mar 30, 2009, 11:01 AM

Sure it does, check under 'Nationals'

Buschmaster
Mar 30, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm very happy it's only $9.99 considering last years I gladly paid $4.99 for half a season without Gameday audio and everything.

I'll pick this up so I can watch the Twins all the way to winning their first world series since 1991.:cool:

b1wils1
Mar 30, 2009, 11:13 AM

i'm glad you said something, because I was about to.:cool:

eff pc
Mar 30, 2009, 11:34 AM
this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.

Randman
Mar 30, 2009, 11:35 AM
Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.

azentropy
Mar 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
Any idea how sound quality will be on 3G and Edge? I'd get it for listening at work but lots of computers at the office and reception is spotty.

Unfortunately the Gameday Audio for the App doesn't start until April 6th.
I was hoping they were going to "test" it out since they do Gameday audio for some Spring Training games on the website.

sheaitisnotso
Mar 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah I'd like to know if the audio works okay on edge. I've already bought the mlb.tv package and would only buy this for the audio to use on car trips, etc.

sharp65
Mar 30, 2009, 12:16 PM
this is the most ridiculous app ever. 10 bucks for one season!!! it should be maybe 10 bucks and get it for every season. (maybe have it be 4.99 and use the new subscription service to sell each season for 99 cents) and even then it seems a little over priced.

How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.

longofest
Mar 30, 2009, 12:28 PM

How is it overpriced? MLB gameday audio costs $15/year by itself.

I think it's priced fine. A season of TV on the iTunes Store costs upwards of $40-50, so $10 for an entire season of baseball doesn't seem like that much.

Claytoniss
Mar 30, 2009, 12:33 PM
Sweet!

Can't wait for the Season!

macfan881
Mar 30, 2009, 12:49 PM
I was really looking forward for this app... thought it would be 4.99 tho... i guess the extra 5 bucks are ok with the game day audio...

sounds like a cool app other wise tho... im still going to end up purchasing it.

does anyone know how "real time" it is? like can i be at the game listening to this and follow with whats going on at the game? or is there a considerable lag? just wondering if anyone knows?

sometimes i just dont like the fox sports announcers when i can get Vince Scully on for my Dodgers. would like to follow that way sometimes.

you will get the radio broadcast of each team playing and its pretty close to real time i think when i had it last year it was like a minumum 5 second lag i had some games muted on tv and listen to the audio.

bketchum
Mar 30, 2009, 12:50 PM
One of the great tragedies in sport.

jcb10
Mar 30, 2009, 12:55 PM
this isnt funny btw

As a lifelong Montréal Expos fan, I find it hilarious.

Back on topic, with Gameday Audio for $10? That's great, considering it's either $15 of $20 through the web. Off to the App Store ...

macfan881
Mar 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
One of the great tragedies in sport.

the expos or the expos moving to dc "zing" they were both tragedies in my opinion:D

themanfromvlad
Mar 30, 2009, 01:48 PM

Every time I try that the App gives me a pop-up message asking for $611 million in taxpayer money and then crashes. Weird.

Lara F
Mar 30, 2009, 02:01 PM
As a native Montrealer I'll never get over 1994 myself. What could have been... :(

SirOmega
Mar 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
I would assume you have to have the app open for gameday audio to work? thats kinda sad - if I want to check my mail I have to close the app, lose the feed, check my mail and then come back and start the feed again.

This is one of the areas where Apple needed to add some sort of background functionality. It doesn't have to be the full app, just have the OS setup some sort of audio stream handler in the background so I can tool around the phone and do other stuff while listening to the game.

opaqueentity
Mar 30, 2009, 03:15 PM
Last year they did NOT say the app was only for that year.
Hope they are making it clear this time.

Lunchbox700
Mar 30, 2009, 03:18 PM
This is exciting and will be getting it again. I am curious though I don't have an iphone but am wondering what kind of damage this will do to your usage cap

Loge
Mar 30, 2009, 03:48 PM
This is a really cool app particularly for those with very limited free time, but want to generally keep up.

Where is the equivalent for the NFL, or English Premier League for that matter?

Moonlight
Mar 30, 2009, 05:08 PM

Check under "last place"

pimentoLoaf
Mar 30, 2009, 05:25 PM
I think it's priced fine. A season of TV on the iTunes Store costs upwards of $40-50, so $10 for an entire season of baseball doesn't seem like that much.

Agreed! :cool:

Randman
Mar 30, 2009, 06:19 PM
Where is the equivalent for the NFL, or English Premier League for that matter?

Not sure about the EPL but the NFL has an exclusive deal with Verizon signed before iPhones were out.

jcb10
Mar 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
This is exciting and will be getting it again. I am curious though I don't have an iphone but am wondering what kind of damage this will do to your usage cap

All iPhone plans contain unlimited data -- which includes streaming audio. Plus, there's always wi-fi.

macfan881
Mar 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
Every time I try that the App gives me a pop-up message asking for $611 million in taxpayer money and then crashes. Weird.

I loled

ucfgrad93
Mar 30, 2009, 10:52 PM
For $10, I think this is a great app.

macfan881
Mar 31, 2009, 12:49 AM
I would assume you have to have the app open for gameday audio to work? thats kinda sad - if I want to check my mail I have to close the app, lose the feed, check my mail and then come back and start the feed again.

This is one of the areas where Apple needed to add some sort of background functionality. It doesn't have to be the full app, just have the OS setup some sort of audio stream handler in the background so I can tool around the phone and do other stuff while listening to the game.

If you have a Jailbroken Ipod Download Backrounder it lets you run apps in the backround for example im currently listeing to pandora as im posting this on my ipod touch :)

verks
Mar 31, 2009, 01:19 AM
Not sure about the EPL but the NFL has an exclusive deal with Verizon signed before iPhones were out.

Actually it's Sprint.

dwd3885
Mar 31, 2009, 05:37 PM
Last year they did NOT say the app was only for that year.
Hope they are making it clear this time.

uh. yes they did. it stated something like, 'will provide in-game video highlights and scores throughout the 2009 season.'

Galley
Mar 31, 2009, 07:33 PM
Expos fan from 1977-2004. :(

DHarrisDBS34
Mar 31, 2009, 11:10 PM
Huge, huge, baseball fan so I'll probably get it.

themanfromvlad
Mar 31, 2009, 11:26 PM
People say the Expos had no fans, and there's at least four in this thread. Just shows you how complex the situation surrounding the Expos demise was. For those not in the loop: Fan support was the least of the Expos problems.

macfan881
Apr 1, 2009, 02:41 AM
People say the Expos had no fans, and there's at least four in this thread. Just shows you how complex the situation surrounding the Expos demise was. For those not in the loop: Fan support was the least of the Expos problems.

and they seemed to be the professional minor leauge team i mean look at all the guys that came from the Expos Vlad Guerro Pedro martinez Larry walker

opaqueentity
Apr 1, 2009, 03:18 AM
uh. yes they did. it stated something like, 'will provide in-game video highlights and scores throughout the 2009 season.'

I certainly don't remember it saying that (at least not on the the app store on the iphone) but even if it did it did not say ONLY for the 2009 season. For something that lasts a finite time it needs to be explicit. Every other app I have is permament.

churchrd
Apr 1, 2009, 03:28 AM
I was so stoked to hear about this app. I'm all over it when my iphone arrives tomorrow! (I actually just missed the ups man today, i was so disappointed)

$10 is a good deal for the whole season(162games+postseason). It's 14.95 online for gameday audio. And for only $10 you can carry it in your pocket! IMHO i think it's a steal.

Is there any mlb.tv subscribers here? I've subscribed the last few seasons and was wondering if i'll be able to stream the games on the iphone(using safari) like i would at home. I figure i'd be able to just log into my account via the iphone. Anyone know if that will work? Seems feasible. I actually may not download this app though if i can view my mlb.tv account on the iphone.

Can't wait till my iphone is here!!!!!!!!

Cheers to the boys of summer(and the iphone).

jmccullough108
Apr 1, 2009, 06:39 AM
Good to hear.

twoodcc
Apr 1, 2009, 06:49 AM
i just don't see many people paying $10 for this. granted, it does seem like a nice app, but still

Roy Hobbs
Apr 1, 2009, 07:05 AM
i just don't see many people paying $10 for this. granted, it does seem like a nice app, but still

There are many basball fans that will gladly pay $10 to listen to any game they want all season long.

dwd3885
Apr 1, 2009, 07:39 AM

I think baseball fans will buy it. It's basically like free game audio. That is an awesome selling point since it costs $15 on the real web.

It's great to keep me up-to-date on my fantasy team. And now we can listen to great announcers like Scully or Kalas when I'm a Cardinals fan in St. Louis.

northy124
Apr 1, 2009, 10:55 AM
Just bought it but videos are slow:( other than that I like it:D

Ntombi
Apr 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
I certainly don't remember it saying that (at least not on the the app store on the iphone) but even if it did it did not say ONLY for the 2009 season. For something that lasts a finite time it needs to be explicit. Every other app I have is permament.

I didn't get it last year, but I remember it being made VERY clear that it was for 2008 only. There were also several threads about the pros and cons of such a business model.

Now that it has the audio, I'll definitely be buying it this season. Being able to listen to all the Red Sox games wherever I am is too tempting to resist.

kiddnets
Apr 1, 2009, 12:27 PM
Are the boxscores in realtime? Any way to enter a fantasy team like you do with the Sportacular app?

doppelganger
Apr 1, 2009, 06:28 PM
Washington - First liberty, First in peace, Last in the National League.

The Expos was a tragedy. But worse to me was the Hartford Whalers leaving Hartford and winning the Stanley Cup in Carolina.

Lara F
Apr 1, 2009, 07:09 PM
Sorta like the Quebec Nordiques choking in the playoffs, then moving to Colorado and promptly winning the Cup...maybe two seasons later at most. With Patrick Roy to boot.

(We really need a banging head emoticon lol.)

macfan881
Apr 1, 2009, 07:38 PM
im hoping with the new in app purchases im hoping we will be able to get the following year at a discount i love the apps but paying 10 bucks every year will be a pain i rather just have one app then update

Galley
Apr 1, 2009, 07:56 PM
Is there any mlb.tv subscribers here? I've subscribed the last few seasons and was wondering if i'll be able to stream the games on the iphone(using safari) like i would at home. I figure i'd be able to just log into my account via the iphone. Anyone know if that will work? Seems feasible. I actually may not download this app though if i can view my mlb.tv account on the iphone.

MLB.TV for 2009 requires Flash; previously it was Silverlight.

socbrian
Apr 1, 2009, 08:04 PM
im hoping with the new in app purchases im hoping we will be able to get the following year at a discount i love the apps but paying 10 bucks every year will be a pain i rather just have one app then update

3.0 will be able to do that.. they can use seasons as a package

Michael CM1
Apr 1, 2009, 08:15 PM

I can't pick out the adjective to use, but I'll go with ARE YOU NUCKING FUTS? You're saying $10 is too much for the audio from all 162 games from all 30 teams? Do you realize how much production and money goes into all of this? Are you some unemployed hack who doesn't know horse crap about how money is made?

churchrd
Apr 1, 2009, 11:42 PM
MLB.TV for 2009 requires Flash; previously it was Silverlight.

Thanks for clarifying!

Regarding the price, that some say is too much, this isn't your average iphone app. This is a service already available on the web for 14.99 a season. I think it's worth every penny at that price too. And now on the iphone it's cheaper and portable. It doesn't get much better than that for baseball fans! That's just me though, i love baseball.

iPhone envy
Apr 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
99% of my interest in this app is to hear game day audio. So can someone review that once the option is up and working (is it yet, or not for spring training)?

Questions:
1 Is there lag in the feed or is it the same as the radio?

2 How's the battery drain over the course of a 3+ hour game?

3 Is 3g sufficient or is WiFi better? I'm a Giants fan and the park is a hotspot, so there is choice for me as a listener.

4 Who's play by play do they choose? Do I get to hear the Giants broadcast, the road teams broadcast or say some other MLB generic audio?

5 What happens if you get a call or text when the audio is steaming? Does it seemlessly come in and out like with the iPod function or does it close the program and you have to go through X amount of clicks to re launch the app?
5B - If the latter, how slow is the program to relaunch and get back into the audio?

6 - can you listen to the audio while looking at stats or other parts of the program?

Thanks!

northy124
Apr 2, 2009, 12:54 PM
1 Is there lag in the feed or is it the same as the radio?
Standard Delay like Radio
2 How's the battery drain over the course of a 3+ hour game?
Dunno tbh, I was always in my house with it plugged in
3 Is 3g sufficient or is WiFi better? I'm a Giants fan and the park is a hotspot, so there is choice for me as a listener.
Edge is sufficient, 3G/WiFi are better
4 Who's play by play do they choose? Do I get to hear the Giants broadcast, the road teams broadcast or say some other MLB generic audio?
You get to pick which audio you listen to
5 What happens if you get a call or text when the audio is steaming? Does it seemlessly come in and out like with the iPod function or does it close the program and you have to go through X amount of clicks to re launch the app?
5B - If the latter, how slow is the program to relaunch and get back into the audio?
You can't txt/call when using programme, and it takes the same amount of time any app takes to load
6 - can you listen to the audio while looking at stats or other parts of the program?
IDK

macfan881
Apr 3, 2009, 01:49 AM
I can't pick out the adjective to use, but I'll go with ARE YOU NUCKING FUTS? You're saying $10 is too much for the audio from all 162 games from all 30 teams? Do you realize how much production and money goes into all of this? Are you some unemployed hack who doesn't know horse crap about how money is made?

im not saying that but if were going to be upgrading every year we should get a discount when i signed up for mlb.tv the last 3 years i got a specail discount if i signed up again early like 5 bucks off thats what i wanna see.

churchrd
Apr 3, 2009, 03:41 PM
im not saying that but if were going to be upgrading every year we should get a discount when i signed up for mlb.tv the last 3 years i got a specail discount if i signed up again early like 5 bucks off thats what i wanna see.

I can understand where you're coming from.

How about a discount for mlb.tv subscribers? Or maybe even free for mlb.tv subscribers? That'd be nice. A season of mlb.tv isn't cheap, but it's worth it IMO. I don't know if i'm going to subscribe to mlb.tv since i have the app on my phone now.

chadamorrill
Apr 3, 2009, 09:13 PM

I loled

Me too... hilarious post.

Galley
Apr 3, 2009, 09:40 PM
Perhaps with the 3.0 software update, we will be able to upgrade to Gameday Audio within the app in 2010. For those of us who already have an MLB.TV subscription, we could get the upgrade free.

abnospam
Apr 4, 2009, 09:42 PM
so I am enjoying my Cubs game listening to Pat & Ron, stuck in an airport with my iphone in my pocket. The phone goes to sleep or locks - what happens?

zookster
Apr 5, 2009, 04:03 PM
you will get the radio broadcast of each team playing and its pretty close to real time i think when i had it last year it was like a minumum 5 second lag i had some games muted on tv and listen to the audio.

I guess I will know tonight when my World Series Champion Phillies take the field, but my question is, will there be both Audios for each game? In other words, when the Phils play those stinkin' Braves tonight, will there be a Braves broadcast and a Phillies broadcast or will they do the hometeam like XM does?

John

ebrunn
Apr 5, 2009, 05:40 PM
I guess I will know tonight when my World Series Champion Phillies take the field, but my question is, will there be both Audios for each game? In other words, when the Phils play those stinkin' Braves tonight, will there be a Braves broadcast and a Phillies broadcast or will they do the hometeam like XM does?

John

From the app description:

you can listen to every regualr season and Postseason game LIVE, including all home and select visting teams feeds

macfan881
Apr 5, 2009, 07:22 PM
Standard Delay like Radio

Dunno tbh, I was always in my house with it plugged in

Edge is sufficient, 3G/WiFi are better

You get to pick which audio you listen to

You can't txt/call when using programme, and it takes the same amount of time any app takes to load

actaully if you have a Jailbroken Ipod touch you can download backrounder i think its called and do other stuff while listeing to the audo

by the way im listening to the braves game now great quality so far this seems like it will be a great app.

dthmtlgod
Apr 5, 2009, 08:16 PM
so I am enjoying my Cubs game listening to Pat & Ron, stuck in an airport with my iphone in my pocket. The phone goes to sleep or locks - what happens?

Listening to the game, iPhone does not go to sleep.

zookster
Apr 5, 2009, 08:21 PM

This is a great app, and worth $9.99!

Just wish the Phillies start picking it up. 4-0 midway through the 5th.

John

macfan881
Apr 5, 2009, 08:42 PM
This is a great app, and worth $9.99!

Just wish the Phillies start picking it up. 4-0 midway through the 5th.

John

agreed cant wait to hear the yankees game tomorrow! that is if im off the road by thenatleast ill be able to listen to the second game.

zookster
Apr 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
agreed cant wait to hear the yankees game tomorrow!

Oh yes. The Steinbrenners and the unlimited checkbook. CC Sabathia. There ought to be a law. :-)

John

macfan881
Apr 5, 2009, 10:05 PM
of course if it was your favorite team you wouldnt have a problem now would you :rolleyes:

KBenton
Apr 6, 2009, 02:16 AM

Pat & Ron! They are the reason I got XM Radio. Too bad they only play the home team feeds on XM. Now with this app I can listen to them every game!!

verks
Apr 6, 2009, 10:20 AM
of course if it was your favorite team you wouldnt have a problem now would you :rolleyes:

Listened to the game last night and the audio sounded fine. I'm looking forward to the season.

****It would be hard to go against the spanks if I grew up as a fan. They have not won anything since they went away from using their own talent and over spending for talent. Being an Indians fan and watching CC for the past 8 years you will learn quickly that he chokes in high pressure situations. He needs to get past his mental blocks.

northy124
Apr 6, 2009, 10:43 AM
Audio kept dropping out on me :( I was using WiFi as well, not happy so far and half the videos don't wotk:mad:

abnospam
Apr 6, 2009, 11:21 AM

so, the screen doesn't go black?

my assumption would be battery life on this would equal talk time as they both are audio streams with a blacked out screen.

verks
Apr 6, 2009, 01:33 PM
Audio kept dropping out on me :( I was using WiFi as well, not happy so far and half the videos don't wotk:mad:

I'm using now on 3G and I'm have zero drop outs, no videos yet today.

verks
Apr 6, 2009, 01:34 PM

You can tap the power button to turn off the screen.

BigTRQ
Apr 6, 2009, 07:34 PM
Pat & Ron! They are the reason I got XM Radio. Too bad they only play the home team feeds on XM. Now with this app I can listen to them every game!!I too, am a Cubs fan. Sadly, we won't get to hear every game called by Pat & Ron. Apparently the description has been changed on the apps page, (paraphrased): "Listen to every home feed and select visiting feeds." CRAP MLB!!! When I purchased At Bat 2009, the app said nothing about "select" any thing. I wish I would have waited to buy this now. Having to hear the Cubs/Astros game with Houston's crap announcers is tough.

Why the change, MLB???

zookster
Apr 6, 2009, 09:12 PM
I too, am a Cubs fan. Sadly, we won't get to hear every game called by Pat & Ron. Apparently the description has been changed on the apps page, (paraphrased): "Listen to every home feed and select visiting feeds." CRAP MLB!!! When I purchased At Bat 2009, the app said nothing about "select" any thing. I wish I would have waited to buy this now. Having to hear the Cubs/Astros game with Houston's crap announcers is tough.

Why the change, MLB???

Indeed, I was a victim of the "select" thing today. I was only able to receive the Cincinnati feed of the Mets-Reds game. I wanted to hear the Mets but no dice (I am a Phillies fan, so I wanted to hear what "they" had to say). Oh well. Still a good app for me.

John

verks
Apr 6, 2009, 10:08 PM
I noticed that all of the feeds I checked were mixed up. For example the Cleveland Texas game if you clicked the Cleveland feed you got the Texas announcers and vise versa. Same was for the Yankees game and the Tigers game.

Did you guys check both feeds?

churchrd
Apr 6, 2009, 11:03 PM
I too, am a Cubs fan. Sadly, we won't get to hear every game called by Pat & Ron. Apparently the description has been changed on the apps page, (paraphrased): "Listen to every home feed and select visiting feeds." CRAP MLB!!! When I purchased At Bat 2009, the app said nothing about "select" any thing. I wish I would have waited to buy this now. Having to hear the Cubs/Astros game with Houston's crap announcers is tough.

Why the change, MLB???

That does suck if they changed it. The was a big selling point for me. I too love listening to Pat and Ron. I live in MN and thankfully i can pick them up on the am radio in my car at night when i'm delivering pizzas. But the fact that i could carry Pat and Ron in my pocket all summer made this a no-brainer. I'm pissed too if it's "select" visiting feeds.

I did check my phone tonight though at the start of the game just to check out the app and i got the cubs broadcast. I turned it off though cause my battery was low, and i had it on the radio.

Are you saying that you didn't even have the choice for the Cubs' broadcast tonight?

Still think it's worth the ten bucks, but i'll be disappointed the first game i can't listen to Pat and Ron.

BigTRQ
Apr 7, 2009, 08:03 AM
That does suck if they changed it. The was a big selling point for me. I too love listening to Pat and Ron. I live in MN and thankfully i can pick them up on the am radio in my car at night when i'm delivering pizzas. But the fact that i could carry Pat and Ron in my pocket all summer made this a no-brainer. I'm pissed too if it's "select" visiting feeds.

I did check my phone tonight though at the start of the game just to check out the app and i got the cubs broadcast. I turned it off though cause my battery was low, and i had it on the radio.

Are you saying that you didn't even have the choice for the Cubs' broadcast tonight?

Still think it's worth the ten bucks, but i'll be disappointed the first game i can't listen to Pat and Ron.
That's exactly what I'm saying. When I clicked to listen to audio of the Cubs game, I was only presented the feed for the Houston coverage (KXRH, if I recall correctly). It couldn't be that they are selectively (i.e.-area of the country) picking which feeds are offered in certain areas, could it?

EDIT: There shouldn't be a difference between what feeds are presented between iPhones and iPod touches, should there? I'm on an iPod touch, and just re-read your post and saw you said "phone". That'd be just like MLB/Apple, though. Giving everything to their "most profitable" customer, while saying "F U" to the rest.

rhsant
Apr 7, 2009, 03:30 PM
I've been trying to listen to the Sox - Rays game today - getting intermittent drop-outs of audio. Anyone else having this problem (BOS stream)?

northy124
Apr 7, 2009, 03:45 PM
I have it with every stream, worse 5.99 I ever spent:mad:

rhsant
Apr 7, 2009, 04:26 PM
Yeah - I thought this would be perfect for listening to the Sox at work over 3g since we can't stream audio or video over our work network. However, listening is really annoying with the audio drop-outs. AND - it is 9.99 :(

northy124
Apr 7, 2009, 06:27 PM
AND - it is 9.99 :(
For American's, 5.99 here ($8.82) :(

I got the video working but audio still sucks.

BigTRQ
Apr 7, 2009, 07:54 PM
So the Cubs feed is there tonight. I wonder if the game has to be broadcast on their TV network for the WGN Radio broadcast to be available via MLB.com At Bat. Even then, though, that was never mentioned in the purchasing of the app. :rolleyes:

churchrd
Apr 7, 2009, 08:45 PM
So the Cubs feed is there tonight. I wonder if the game has to be broadcast on their TV network for the WGN Radio broadcast to be available via MLB.com At Bat. Even then, though, that was never mentioned in the purchasing of the app. :rolleyes:

Yeah that's wierd. I had the Cubs feed last night too though.

Maybe they're still working some bugs out? IDK
Although i doubt it's a regional thing too, where are you located?

Go Cubs Go!

BigTRQ
Apr 7, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah that's wierd. I had the Cubs feed last night too though.

Maybe they're still working some bugs out? IDK
Although i doubt it's a regional thing too, where are you located?

Go Cubs Go!
So the Cubs feed disappeared as of the 5th inning. Arrgghhh! MAKE UP YOUR MINDS MLB!!!

I'm in Knoxville, TN, not that that matters though (hopefully). :)

churchrd
Apr 7, 2009, 10:42 PM
So the Cubs feed disappeared as of the 5th inning. Arrgghhh! MAKE UP YOUR MINDS MLB!!!

I'm in Knoxville, TN, not that that matters though (hopefully). :)

It disapeared for me too:( Makes no sense.

Were you listening at the time? Did the feed just go dead? I was watching on tv, but checked after i saw your post. I'm really hoping they're just working out some bugs. It will be really frustrating if this continues as the season progresses.

BigTRQ
Apr 8, 2009, 07:44 AM
It disapeared for me too:( Makes no sense.

Were you listening at the time? Did the feed just go dead? I was watching on tv, but checked after i saw your post. I'm really hoping they're just working out some bugs. It will be really frustrating if this continues as the season progresses.Wasn't listening at the time. I was in the app, then left it. Went back in about 15 minutes later, and the feed was gone. Bugs like this shouldn't have been in the app in the first place. They advertised Gameday Audio as a big change from last year. That should have been priority #1 during any testing they did.

I wonder how many people they have working on the app to fix/refine it?

iPhone envy
Apr 8, 2009, 11:44 AM
Users:

What is the battery drain like after a full game?

If your team is on the road, are you listening to your broadcast or the home team (not your team) broadcast?

Thanks

cs44
Apr 8, 2009, 01:58 PM
Seriously -- MLB has once again solidified its stance as sports + tech king. This app is very impressive. I really enjoy the gameday audio and can vouch for the audio quality on both 3G and Wifi. Home and Away team broadcasts are available - killer!

It's a bit disappointing that I still need a separate account for computer access to gameday audio -- but STILL.

This app is a standout.

cs44
Apr 8, 2009, 01:59 PM
Users:

What is the battery drain like after a full game?

If your team is on the road, are you listening to your broadcast or the home team (not your team) broadcast?

Thanks

Listened to a full 9 innings yesterday and my battery was significantly drained. I likely started at 80% and ended near 20%.

Home OR Away broadcasts are available.

BigTRQ
Apr 8, 2009, 02:33 PM
Listened to a full 9 innings yesterday and my battery was significantly drained. I likely started at 80% and ended near 20%.

Home OR Away broadcasts are available.Like hell they are. The past two Cubs games (away) have had either no Cubs feed available, or seen the feed die/unavailable. Utter crap.

sheaitisnotso
Apr 10, 2009, 04:27 AM
How is the audio on the edge network?

macfan881
Apr 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
also like how you can view videos while you are listening to a game and once the highlight is done it goes directly back to the audio:D

heres hoping with the new video codecs for devs in the 3.0 sdk we may get live video next year :)

abnospam
Apr 10, 2009, 08:06 PM
ok - I bought this today. Yes, I am pissed that Gregg blew the save, but I am really annoyed that the live gameday doesn't update for crap. The score, count, outs is different on the main page, gameday live page and summary page. I had no idea what was going on. Sometimes the summary simple missed plays - said only two outs were recorded - inning over. WTF?

If the gameday isnt live and accurate, whats the point?

BigTRQ
Apr 11, 2009, 05:19 PM
The last couple of Cubs games have had their feeds like they should. I pray this continues!

justinluey
Apr 11, 2009, 11:45 PM
This app is a steal at $9.99.

My only complaint is the volume is a little low.

I've had no problem getting home and away broadcasts.

I love being able to listen to Vin Scully and John Sterling every day.

Gonzo3333
Apr 14, 2009, 02:37 AM
I just bought this app a few minutes ago, haven't been able to check it out during a game yet. Will likely try to listen to the White Sox, Tigers game while I am at work tomorrow. I can also turn on the Game Day Audio while watching White Sox games so I don't have to listen to the Hawk anymore (I would gladly pay $100 for that). I had the At Bat Light version throughout 2009 spring training and enjoyed it, so the price is no concern to me as an avid baseball fan. I think $9.99 is a steal for an app that lasts for an entire season as well as the post-season and likely pre-season for 2010. I get the scores of every MLB game at a moments glance. I guess I will either be really impressed or somewhat disapointed with the Game Day Audio. Anybody see Reed Johnson rob Prince Fielder of a Grand Slam on Easter? That was awesome! The look on Prince's face was priceless.

Go Cubs!
Go White Sox! (but not as much as the Cubs)

Gonzo3333
Apr 14, 2009, 02:48 AM
You can get individual player stats for the season, at bat stats, fielding stats probably so much more. I am hugely impressed with this. I hope the videos stay up for at least a month after each game. This application has probably saved me money from having to buy a newspaper everyday on my way to work (checking stats, standings). After playing around with it for a few minutes this changes everything. I can show people highlights that may have missed the game. Very, very impressed, even if the Game Day audio doesn't work that well, very awesome.

churchrd
Apr 14, 2009, 10:15 AM
You can get individual player stats for the season, at bat stats, fielding stats probably so much more. I am hugely impressed with this. I hope the videos stay up for at least a month after each game. This application has probably saved me money from having to buy a newspaper everyday on my way to work (checking stats, standings). After playing around with it for a few minutes this changes everything. I can show people highlights that may have missed the game. Very, very impressed, even if the Game Day audio doesn't work that well, very awesome.

I listened to Pat and Ron for the entire game on Saturday. No problems with the audio at all. There was significant battery drain though(i did have the volume all the way up though), so maybe keep a charger with you at work, if possible. I noticed last night they updated the app as well. It is really awesome to have all the stats, standings, and highlights right there in the app. I love it. And yeah, Reed Johnson's catch on Sunday night was indeed awesome. My brother and i were going crazy when he snagged that ball.

justinluey
Apr 15, 2009, 11:46 PM
I made a video of the app in action for anyone who wants to see what its like.

http://www.screentoaster.com/watch/stUE9QQEVLRlBXRVhdU1tY/mlb_at_bat_2009_iphone_app

It was the first time I ever used the screen capture iPhone app or screentoaster.com , so its not the greatest screencast but it gets the point across.

japanime
Apr 21, 2009, 09:16 PM
This would be a killer app if it included archives of Gameday Audio, so those of us who don't live in North America could listen to games without having to tune in at 2 in the morning. :cool:

ZDDP1273
May 18, 2009, 11:18 PM
I downloaded this app and it is awesome. I love being able to listen to my favorite team's radio broadcast no matter where I am. It's definitely worth the money I paid for it.

DHarrisDBS34
May 20, 2009, 10:32 AM
I like this app. It still has some bugs though. You see the highlights and at the end of the video is freezes for like 1o seconds. It's kind of odd. And also there is no refresh button in the boxscores. A little annoying.

Other than that it's great.

iPhone envy
May 21, 2009, 11:26 AM
How is the battery drain?
Do you always get you choice of broadcasts (home or away team)?

churchrd
May 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
How is the battery drain?
Do you always get you choice of broadcasts (home or away team)?

It does eat up quite a bit of battery. I've listened to 7+ innings at once, with a full battery, and probably had 1/4th to 1/2 left after.

There was issues with getting both home and away broadcasts during the first week. Ever since then i've been able to get whichever broadcast i want.

iPhone envy
May 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
So I gave in and purchased this app. I went to the Giants game last night (AT&T has full coverage at the stadium), and streamed the game.

A quick set of review factoids from my first experience:

1 - Both audio feeds were available, home and away.
2 - Audio was only available right before 1st pitch, so no pre-game audio can be heard.
3 - Despite pefrect signal strength, the game did drop out a couple of times and when it did it took a bit to come back in.
4 - The clairty was perfect, just like a strong raido broadcast.
5 - The game delays is about 15 seconds, which was a bit annoying for watching the game live. It was always a play / pitch behind what was happening. TV and Radio at most have 5-7 second delays.
6 - The battery drain (screen off, just streaming radio) is very signifigant. My phone had a full charge in the morning, was not used all day, and was down to 10% or less battery after a very short game (2 hours, 8 minutes). A long game, or some phone use durring the day is going to mean a dead phone before the end of a game.

6.a - Subpoint to the battery drain, was the fact that you don't get the warning messages if you are not looking at the screen. As I just steamed the audio, I had no idea until late that my phone was set to die.

Otherwise, nice app. Ideally it could be improved by:

1 - improving battery drain
2 - improving connection to the audio, or quickly reconnecting after a drop
3 - allowing for more pre-game audio (even if its the 15 minute pregame show, as opposed to the KNBR pregame show).

Galley
May 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
BTW, condensed games are now available. :)

churchrd
May 27, 2009, 04:38 PM
BTW, condensed games are now available. :)

Awesome! Where are they though? I just looked

churchrd
May 28, 2009, 02:18 AM
Awesome! Where are they though? I just looked

Ok i just got the condensed games notice! This is so awesome!

Hard to believe this app just got even better!

Thank you MLB! Super excited about this! The replays alone were great, now with the condensed games this gets my vote for best app ever.

coolguykris
Jun 18, 2009, 10:48 AM
They are starting to stream games live too (video I mean). Not very many games to choose from but it is still pretty cool.

kingsfan0210
Jun 21, 2009, 08:27 PM

The Montreal Expos?

mgamber
Jun 21, 2009, 08:36 PM
The Expos became the Washington Nationals like 5 years ago.

jcb10
Jun 22, 2009, 10:08 AM
The Expos became the Washington Nationals like 5 years ago.

A joke's not funny if you have to explain it to the humourless, but: we are fans of the Expos who lament their move. Therefore, we get snarky when 35 years of baseball history are ignored and also long for a time when "Nos Amours" (a fond nickname for the team) would have been on said app. Understand now?

Back on topic: Love the new streaming video. It worked great for me on the bus ride home Friday!

mgamber
Jun 22, 2009, 11:45 AM
Two points:

1: I'm not humourless. I saw "california" by the poster's name, not Montreal, Quebec or Canada. Thanks for the generalization tho, I'm sure everyone here appreciates being put down for no ********** reason, right? Seems to be what this site is all about!

2: They get better attendance on an off night as the Nationals than they did in Montreal so feel as snarky as you want. Montreal could still have a baseball team if anyone had cared.

jcb10
Jun 24, 2009, 02:45 AM
Two points:

1: I'm not humourless. I saw "california" by the poster's name, not Montreal, Quebec or Canada. Thanks for the generalization tho, I'm sure everyone here appreciates being put down for no ********** reason, right? Seems to be what this site is all about!

2: They get better attendance on an off night as the Nationals than they did in Montreal so feel as snarky as you want. Montreal could still have a baseball team if anyone had cared.

As for point one, I apologize -- I did not intend to "put you down." The original poster (regarding the Expos) does have Montreal as his location at this moment. Whether that's changed since you read it, I don't know. In any case, I thought his sarcasm (and implied disgust at the Expos' relocation) came through.

[Edit: Ah, I see -- you were saying you saw "California" in regards to a much later post in which the writer seems to ask what the Expos were. I saw both his and your replies in the context of belittling Expos fans by denying their previous existence. Like I said in an earlier post, we get snarky. Sorry. If the California poster was serious, however, he obviously DID miss the joke, which was clarified in later posts.]

Regarding point two, I think this thread indicates plenty of people cared --at least three made supportive posts. Regarding the attendance problems, it's a chicken/egg comparison as to whether the team moved because attendance was dropping or attendance dropped because the team was moving (much too complicated to get into here). The Nationals' place in the attendance rankings (13th of 16th in 2008) are comparable to where the Expos were in the late '80s/early '90s before the relocation threat became real and far below the early '80s when the Expos steadily finished in the top five. In fact, in actual real numbers: the 2008 Nats-2,320,400 in baseballs highest overall attendance year. The 1983 Expos-2,320,651.

[Everyone, sorry for veering this thread off topic.]

Attendance calculation? There's an app for that. :-)

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 09:57 PM
wish it was cheaper :mad:

tayshon
Jul 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
I love this app, great to have your fav team in your pocket, and you can hear play by play anywhere.

macfan881
Jul 2, 2009, 10:34 PM

Dude do you reallize what you get with this its worth the 9.99 it techinichally should be more its 14.99 for the audio if you get it on ur pc and you get to watch two games probally more after the allstar break so stop whining and being a cheap skate:rolleyes:

Galley
Jul 21, 2009, 04:49 PM
The recent update added the ability for MLB.TV subscribers to stream live video of any out-of-market game. :D

bbydon
Jul 21, 2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah i wish it went half price since we are half way through the season

macfan881
Jul 21, 2009, 05:53 PM
im rather disapointed the fact that you now have to pay a aditional 20 bucks a month to get every game and take away a extra free game is kinda a bad way to screw people not subscribe to players imo this is rather bad buisness and if this isnt lowerd next year this sucks!

chadamorrill
Jul 22, 2009, 08:11 AM
The recent update added the ability for MLB.TV subscribers to stream live video of any out-of-market game. :D

Is there a way to go back a version??? I updated last night and now have NO video options, as I'd have to be an MLB.TV subscriber and type in my username/pw.

The MLB giveth, and now they taketh away? What gives?

DiamondMac
Jul 22, 2009, 04:17 PM

It is well worth the price

Galley
Jul 22, 2009, 08:06 PM
Many folks are griping about the free games being taken away, but they are still there. There will be at least one per day, and sometimes two.

InvalidUserID
Jul 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
Meh.

I like how MLB watered down the free/web versions so that they didn't have the pitch by pitch, forcing people who had gotten used to it to pony up for the full version.

Needless to say, I spent the $10-15 (whatever it was) but I'm not spending another $20.

Billy Boo Bob
Jul 24, 2009, 11:38 AM
I guess they do pro-rate the .tv season rates from time to time, but right now it's actually cheaper to go with monthly (2 months + 10 days) than yearly. ($14.95 X 3 vs. $49.95 (standard) or $19.95 X 3 vs. 69.95 (premium)). Assuming monthly covers post-season it should cover enough until all games are on network TV.
Well, I guess that's out...Postseason Live Blackout: Due to Major League Baseball exclusivities, during the MLB Postseason, all live games will be blacked out in the United States...

Seems like in the past I've seen monthly go for much more in total if you go that way.

Sure wish they'd build in a true app (FRAppliance) for :apple:TV.