PDA

View Full Version : Mini - DVI port - why??

Grimace
Apr 15, 2004, 08:04 AM
So I guess I was asleep under a rock somewhere and didn't notice that the 12" Powerbooks had a mini DVI port. It's about the size of a firewire port.

What is the deal on this? To connect to any other DVI device - you would need a cable AND a converter (I assume apple bundles one.) But still, what is the advantage of this connector? Couldn't Apple have found a way to include the regular DVI port?? :confused:

jxyama
Apr 15, 2004, 08:30 AM
\What is the deal on this? To connect to any other DVI device - you would need a cable AND a converter (I assume apple bundles one.)

actually, two adapters are included:

mini-DVI to DVI and mini-DVI to VGA

if you wanted to hook up to TV, then you need a separate adapter (mini-DVI to video).

i assume it was some sort of space constraint that required the graphics card to be modified and use, afaik, an apple proprietary mini-DVI...

i've got a rev. A. so i can only connect to VGA monitors or TVs without an expensive VGA to DVI adapter. so i think mini-DVI is better than that. :)

1macker1
Apr 15, 2004, 08:33 AM
I'm sure they went with mini ports do to design reasons. But i'm happy they added it, cause that was the only thing stopping me from buying a PB. Now u can connect to the newer apple displays.

Sayer
Apr 15, 2004, 08:50 AM
Have you seen the size of a 12" PowerBook? Where are they supposed to put a full-sized DVI port in addition to all the other ports?

And the graphics card has nothing to do with it, there is no "graphics card" in the PowerBook. There is a graphics chip which has built-in VRAM. The output port is up to the OEM and based on the capabilities of the chip (mirroring/spanning).

DVI is forward-looking. The Mini-DVI is due to space constraints. It's still DVI, its just a smaller connector. A couple cables are included. What is the problem? Why is this an issue?

wPod
Apr 15, 2004, 09:04 AM
i think its a good thing. they also have the the same mini dvi port on the ibooks. i use it all the time on my 12" pb to connect to an external monitor which is really nice. on the PB i can even close the lid and only use the external monitor so i can save the LCD while im at home. (or use a dual monitor set up if i wish) the adapters come with it though they wear out quickly on a day to day use. . .about every 6 months or so i have to get a new one.

Rod Rod
Apr 15, 2004, 03:19 PM
i think its a good thing. they also have the the same mini dvi port on the ibooks.

on iBooks it's a mini-VGA.

the 867MHz 12" PBs had the same mini-VGA port as white iBooks.

I have a spare mini-VGA to composite / S-video adapter I could sell you for $12 (including USPS shipping).

johnnyjibbs
Apr 15, 2004, 04:09 PM
DVI port is massive with horrid screws next to it. Mini-DVI port is smaller, more compact (small enough to actually fit on the PowerBook 12") and nicer looking. The 12" PB ports are really neat and stylish in comparison to the 15/17" PBs. You get all the adaptors included and it's not that big a deal.

Grimace
Apr 15, 2004, 04:37 PM
Have you seen the size of a 12" PowerBook? Where are they supposed to put a full-sized DVI port in addition to all the other ports?

And the graphics card has nothing to do with it, there is no "graphics card" in the PowerBook. There is a graphics chip which has built-in VRAM. The output port is up to the OEM and based on the capabilities of the chip (mirroring/spanning).

DVI is forward-looking. The Mini-DVI is due to space constraints. It's still DVI, its just a smaller connector. A couple cables are included. What is the problem? Why is this an issue?

Whoa there, I was just asking about the difference, not whining. I didn't know if this was a better version of DVI - or if the market was moving in this direction. Smaller sometimes signifies better, so I wasn't sure if there was any rationale besides the space constraints.

fischead
Dec 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
we have two 12" G4 powerbooks, we also have a 2003 desktop G4. just realized the older powerbook (jan 2003) has a mini VGA and not mini DVI. Can't figure out how to use the previous generation flat monitors (came with the desktop G4) with the Mini VGA. The new powerbook (purchased dec 2004) works GREAT with the mini-DVI to DVI (99$) adaptor. Any help with the MINI-VGA to DVI adaptor would be great.

Its hard for me to believe that MAC would make a 1600$ laptop that could not connect to the flat monitors it sold (in Jan 2003).

peace out.

Whoa there, I was just asking about the difference, not whining. I didn't know if this was a better version of DVI - or if the market was moving in this direction. Smaller sometimes signifies better, so I wasn't sure if there was any rationale besides the space constraints.

johnnyjibbs
Dec 29, 2004, 02:51 PM
we have two 12" G4 powerbooks, we also have a 2003 desktop G4. just realized the older powerbook (jan 2003) has a mini VGA and not mini DVI. Can't figure out how to use the previous generation flat monitors (came with the desktop G4) with the Mini VGA. The new powerbook (purchased dec 2004) works GREAT with the mini-DVI to DVI (99$) adaptor. Any help with the MINI-VGA to DVI adaptor would be great.

Its hard for me to believe that MAC would make a 1600$ laptop that could not connect to the flat monitors it sold (in Jan 2003).

peace out.
The first gen PowerBook 12" G4 with mini-VGA is not compatible with the ADC Apple Cinema displays.

Rod Rod
Dec 29, 2004, 04:15 PM
The first gen PowerBook 12" G4 with mini-VGA is not compatible with the ADC Apple Cinema displays.

Well, Dr. Bott's VGAtor (http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?QuickSearch=vgator) will make them compatible, for about $300.

Darwin
Dec 29, 2004, 06:05 PM
Well, Dr. Bott's VGAtor (http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?QuickSearch=vgator) will make them compatible, for about $300.

Well thats something to keep in mind for myself, didn't realise they had VGA convertors

Rod Rod
Dec 29, 2004, 06:54 PM
Well thats something to keep in mind for myself, didn't realise they had VGA convertors

Yup, and you can sometimes find Gefen VGA-ADC adapters on eBay for $200. Those things started out at $399, I think, and then dropped to $299, MSRP.

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1301