PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my contacts from my old iphone to my new one?

lokiju
Mar 30, 2009, 02:55 PM
My company decided it'd buy me a iPhone so I ported my number over to my companies corp account, they pay the bill and I get a shinny new iPhone.

Now I left scratching my head trying to figure out how to get my contacts from my old iPhone to my new one?

My old iPhone syncs with my home personal computer and my new iPhone will be syncing with my work computer.

Both are Windows XP machines.

I want to safely get my contacts without running the risk of doing something stupid and wiping them out in the process.

Can I hook my old iPhone up to my work computer (that has never sync'd with a iPhone before) and some how copy off my contacts and then sync up my new iPhone and put those contacts on it?

I'm lost...

fireshot91
Mar 30, 2009, 03:08 PM
Copy the Contacts database (If its not Outlook) to your work PC using a USB drive. Then just sync with that. (If you want music, copy your music also)

lokiju
Mar 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
Copy the Contacts database (If its not Outlook) to your work PC using a USB drive. Then just sync with that. (If you want music, copy your music also)

Right now I'm not syncing my personal (old) iPhones contacts with anything.

When I got my personal iPhone I originally did a sync with my gmail contacts but found that to be a big pain in the butt since every time I emailed someone in gmail it'd add it to my contacts and then sync that garbage to my iphone address book, so I've been going with no backup/sync of my contacts since last year with of course the exception of whenever I do a full backup of my iPhone in general.

Does iTunes make some DB that holds the contact info?

fireshot91
Mar 30, 2009, 03:22 PM
Yes, Connect your iPhone to the XP computer (personal)-

Then sync it with some sort of database that's not Outlook (I can't help you with Outlook). Then it'll transfer all of your contacts from your iPhone to your computer.

Then copy/paste those contacts with your work PC. Then sync your new iPhone with that PC.

lokiju
Mar 30, 2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, Connect your iPhone to the XP computer (personal)-

Then sync it with some sort of database that's not Outlook (I can't help you with Outlook). Then it'll transfer all of your contacts from your iPhone to your computer.

Then copy/paste those contacts with your work PC. Then sync your new iPhone with that PC.

My personal iPhone is jailbroken ,is there some file I can copy off of it via ssh and import into a spreadsheet or something like that?

fireshot91
Mar 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
I'm sure there is, I just don't know of it.

Luke1robb
Mar 30, 2009, 07:29 PM
My company decided it'd buy me a iPhone so I ported my number over to my companies corp account, they pay the bill and I get a shinny new iPhone.

Now I left scratching my head trying to figure out how to get my contacts from my old iPhone to my new one?

My old iPhone syncs with my home personal computer and my new iPhone will be syncing with my work computer.

Both are Windows XP machines.

I want to safely get my contacts without running the risk of doing something stupid and wiping them out in the process.

Can I hook my old iPhone up to my work computer (that has never sync'd with a iPhone before) and some how copy off my contacts and then sync up my new iPhone and put those contacts on it?

I'm lost...

Set up a 30-day free trial of MobileMe, sync your contacts to the account, then set up the new phone and sync the contacts to it. Problem solved, FREE!