Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alan S

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
Here is a question for parents with teenagers about how to use the parental controls properly on iTunes with an iPodTouch.

In our case we have a young teenager and want to restrict him to PG13 movies, music that doesn't have explicit lyrics and 14+ applications. But I made a mistake when initially setting up his account in using his own e-mail account and password.

So we do plan on fixing that, and using an e-mail account that we control.

Anyway, here are a set of questions.

#1) What is the best way to have the parents controls on what the kids can download on iTunes, but provide with them perhaps via a gift card the ability to select among that content what they want.

#2) I'm not very happy with the US rating system, where a PG-13 movie can have a an extreme amount of violence in it (i.e. Dark Knight) and yet a movie like "Witness" starring Harrison Ford gets an R rating. Does anyone know of other countries that have better rating systems. Is it possible to have iTunes use the rating systems of different countries. (Maybe part of this question is outside the macrumors domain)

#3) Are there any good sources of information for parents about using iTunes/iPod?

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
1. Turn on Parental Controls in iTunes, as well.

2. The MPAA rating system is based on how people feel each day. UHF, made in 1989, got a PG-13 rating for pretending to throw poodles out of a window. Other countries might do things differently.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Australia has a somewhat reliable rating system (at least when it comes to movies [I say that because the video game rating system is screwed; we have no 'R' rating, so if a game is deemed too 'adult' we either don't get it or it has to be edited down to comply with our MA rating]).

The Dark Knight is rated M here, which means it's recommended for people over 15 and, if you're under 15, it is advised that a parent watches it with you. PG tends to be reserved for more 'kiddy' movies; once it gets into the violent/swearing/sexual/naughty nature, it gets an 'M' slapped on it.
The only movie rating here I have never agreed with, though, is that the Beatles film "A Hard Day's Night" was re-rated for it's DVD release in 2004, and for some reason a single line ("Paul's grandfather's probably in the middle of an orgy") bumped it up from the PG rating it got on VHS to an M, despite the fact it's been present in all versions of the film. :confused:

Sorry, I went on a bit of a tangent :eek:

How do I find parental controls?

They're in the General menu under Settings on the iPod touch.

Alan S

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
How do I find parental controls?

In iTunes they are under then menu item:

iTunes -> Preferences... -> On the Parental Controls tab.

You will see, the ability to disable certain features, or restrict the content based on a rating system. i.e PG-13 for movies, TV-14 for TV, "explicit" for songs according to the US rating system.

See the previous post for the iPod touch settings. That only turns off certain features though.

Only switching to the Mac recently, I'm a bit behind the curve.

I've also recently seen that iTunes has an "allowance" account for kids. This might be something we would want to try with your teenager.

Alan S

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
It looked like 3.0 was going to expand the parental controls greatly too. I haven't been able to find much about it though, but the screen shots looked good!

We enabled the parental controls on your young teenage son's iPod Touch. It does restrict "explicit" lyrics on the iPod, but it would be good to see it also enforce movie, TV and (especially) application ratings.

His iTunes account is on his windows machine, and we enable that also. However, the password lock ties into the OS admin account which I've never bothered with on a Windows machine. So, for that we are going on the "understanding" that he will not disable those settings.

I'd like to see a different parental controls password scheme for the Windows version of iTunes. Better parental controls on the iPod Touch would also be appreciated. I'd like to hear more about what they have in 3.0.

Alan S

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
California
Australia has a somewhat reliable rating system (at least when it comes to movies

The Dark Knight is rated M here, which means it's recommended for people over 15 and, if you're under 15, it is advised that a parent watches it with ...

Thanks I look into the Australian rating system when I've got some time. My problem with the US system is "PG-13 rated" movies are way too violent.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Do the parental controls set on the Touch limit what sites a kid can get to using a browser?

My friend at work is looking at buying a iTouch for her teenage son. However she wants to limit his access to bad sites and such. Mainly because they caught him with crap on his home pc (he is searching for girls his age which normally is fine but some of the pics would land parents in jail if someone found them and decided to make a name for themselves beating on parents for what the kids have/had on their own pc)

Anyway...

1. What can be restricted.

2. Can a log of what is done on the iTouch be created?

3. Can you protect these settings from the kid changing/disabling them?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Do the parental controls set on the Touch limit what sites a kid can get to using a browser?

My friend at work is looking at buying a iTouch for her teenage son. However she wants to limit his access to bad sites and such. Mainly because they caught him with crap on his home pc (he is searching for girls his age which normally is fine but some of the pics would land parents in jail if someone found them and decided to make a name for themselves beating on parents for what the kids have/had on their own pc)

Anyway...

1. What can be restricted.

2. Can a long of what is done on the iTouch be created?

3. Can you protect these settings from the kid changing/disabling them?

1: You can restrict explicit music, the YouTube application, Safari, the App Store, buying songs in the Wi Fi iTunes Store...no option to restrict specific websites though, it's either disable the internet altogether or have them be able to search anything.

2: No, there is no way to log what is being done on the iPod. There is a history for Safari, but like every web browser that can be deleted whenever the user wants.

3: When you use the parental locks you have to create a 4-number passcode, which you have to enter every time you want to change them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.