Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pogomonkeytutu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I started using an O2 Mobile Broadband dongle last month and since then, I have been having a few issues with my Powerbook G4 12".

The battery is ridiculously drained now, lasting maybe 30 mins unconnected to the cable (even less with the dongle plugged in - 15 mins at most.) and will auto shut down even when the battery level is around 40% remaining.

And when it shuts down, upon restart the time and date are set to Midnight, 1970.

I've looked at my energy saving settings incase something had changed there but it hasn't.

Anyone have any advice?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Use iStat Pro (http://www.islayer.com) or Coconut Battery do see how healthy your battery still is.

With health I don't mean the current charge but the full capacity when charged.
So you could have a health of 40% (but still show a charge of 100%), which means the battery will only hold up to 40% of its original charge (when you bought it new).

pogomonkeytutu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Use iStat Pro (http://www.islayer.com) or Coconut Battery do see how healthy your battery still is.

With health I don't mean the current charge but the full capacity when charged.
So you could have a health of 40% (but still show a charge of 100%), which means the battery will only hold up to 40% of its original charge (when you bought it new).

Wow, it says I only have 35% health! Is there any way that the dongle could have done this? It was fine before I used it and to be honest, if it was the fault of installing the mobile broadband, I'm not overly happy!

Thank you for your advice, it's been very helpful!

pogomonkeytutu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
How old is your battery?

I brought my Powerbook in 2005. However I received a new battery from Apple in 2006 (Or early 07... not sure which) as part of the battery exchange.

If I'm going to have to buy a new one, can anyone suggest the best place? I'm UK based and a snob for branded hardware so it would have to be an official Apple product unless anyone can convince me otherwise as to a better option.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Can you tell us the cycles of the battery?

If you're under 300 cycles (and under 80%) you could maybe get a new battery from Apple.

And I don't know about a USB dongle that drains a battery so much that it even loses its health.

pogomonkeytutu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Can you tell us the cycles of the battery?

If you're under 300 cycles (and under 80%) you could maybe get a new battery from Apple.

And I don't know about a USB dongle that drains a battery so much that it even loses its health.

According to the thingy, 850.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
The a battery health of about 35% sounds right.

You need to get a new battery then, Apple won't replace the one you've got.

Try eBay or other sites maybe, even the Apple Store might offer some old batteries.

They will cost around 129€ (around 400 GBP according to the Unit Converter widget, but more like 110 GBP. wow the Pound has lost some value, 32 months ago I still could get 75 GBP for 100€).

pogomonkeytutu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
If anyone can suggest a good make, I would be very appreciative. I don't want to buy one to find it's not the best quality and end up having to fork out another £50 in a years time.

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Apple has them for £87:
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/M9572G/A (I think this is the right one. Double-check before you buy it)

You might be able to find one cheaper from ebay, but it will be a knockoff, so there is a good chance it will be below average quality (or not work at all, or catch on fire, etc).

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
FastMac and OWC both make very reputable batteries; their batteries are cheaper, equal or higher quality, and have greater capacity than Apple's OEM batteries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.