Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Hey guys this is my friends first time creating an app for the app store. A client has hired him to do an app and he was wondering what the standard is for developers to charge.

Should he charge a flat fee?

Charge by the hour with a retainer involved.

what about the percentage of sales of the app?

if you guys can refer me to anyone who might have answers to these questions please please post here or pm me. I'm wondering if he should also do a contract for his work....Well idk and i figured i start here.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Hey guys this is my friends first time creating an app for the app store. A client has hired him to do an app and he was wondering what the standard is for developers to charge.

Should he charge a flat fee?

Charge by the hour with a retainer involved.

what about the percentage of sales of the app?

if you guys can refer me to anyone who might have answers to these questions please please post here or pm me. I'm wondering if he should also do a contract for his work....Well idk and i figured i start here.

As far as payments go, it depends what you are comfortable with. If you can judge how long it will take, then do a flat fee. If you want to track your work time, go by hour (going rate ranges from $15-$60/hr depending on skill level.) Its a bad idea to charge a percentage of sales, since who knows how that will come out, you might end up walking away with just a few dollars if it doesn't sell well.

I would do a contract, but I wouldn't worry about getting super technical with it (like hiring a contract lawyer to draft it.) Just a simple document saying what your role is, what your pay is.

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Now i saw some article speaking about the normal rate for coding goes between 125-300. Am reading these figures wrong? I feel 15-60 is way to low for hours of coding...I could be wrong... I should probably ask my friend how much time he might think it will take to build something like that.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Now i saw some article speaking about the normal rate for coding goes between 125-300. Am reading these figures wrong? I feel 15-60 is way to low for hours of coding...I could be wrong... I should probably ask my friend how much time he might think it will take to build something like that.

If the developer knows what they're doing, I would think $50/hour would be the absolute minimum. Could easily go higher depending on how good they are and how complicated the app is. If someone offered a developer $15/hour they'd laugh at them. You an make more working at Best Buy.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Depends on where they're located. In many metropolitan areas, experienced iPhone developer seem to be able to get in the neighborhood of $100 to $200+ per hour. Why would anyone any good take less unless they have no marketable experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.