Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everborne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Hi all,

Recently I bought the WoW BattleChest, containing both the original WoW and TBC. I was able to install and play WoW without any hitches. However, today, when I tried to install TBC, I came across a problem that I have no idea how to solve.

Following the instructions in the TBC Game Manual, I inserted the TBC disc into my MacBook's DVD drive. When I saw the BC DVD icon come up on the desktop, I double clicked it, and saw two options, which said "Burning Crusade (OS X)" and "Installer Tome.mpq". According to the Game Manual, I should "double-click on the Installer application to copy the required game files to your hard drive".

So I clicked on Installer Tome.mpq. And suddenly my Warcraft III (the original, not The Frozen Throne) just opened. Thinking I made a mistake, I closed WC3, ejected the TBC DVD, re-inserted it, and once again clicked on the Installer Tome.mpq icon, which resulted in WC3 starting up again.

I then tried clicking on the Burning Crusade (OS X) icon instead. This started up an application with the title "World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Installer", with five options:

-Play Burning Crusade
-View the Readme
-View the Manual
-Customer Support
-Exit Installer

Seeing these options, I clicked on the first one, which opened up an app called "World of Warcraft v3.0.9.9551" (ie the patch updater). On the app it said "Data for the next patch is available. No download will take place at this time." There was absolutely nothing mentioned about TBC. At the bottom right corner was a button that said "Play", but clicking that just opened up the original WoW.

Can anyone help me? Why aren't I able to install TBC, even with the DVD from the BattleChest?

Thanks in advance.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I recently installed TBC via blizzard's download client and it also says a new patch is available after I updated to 3.0.9.xxxx. Anyway, I say just register on blizzard and use their download client to download TBC. Click the mac one and when the installer downloads, open it and choose TBC. It should work if your DVD is failing you. You'll have have to wait a little for it to d/l, but it shouldn't be too bad. Then get the patches and update.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
To play the game you always need the latest updates. Blizzard released a completely new version of the game when they released Lich King, so I'm not sure how it works when you're coming from a BC installer.

If you said yes to download the 3.0.9 patch...how big is it?

iTris666

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
I think you need to remove you existing wow version and reinstall wow then tbc.

Currently you can't install TBC because your wow version is too recent (you may have udpated wow after tbc has been released). So the TBC installer can't add the additional content to a newer version of wow that what it know of.

Alternatively you can go in the wow account management on worldofwarcraft.com and choose "download the game client" or something like it. You will directly download the entire wow installation (you'll have to choose TBC before the download start) and install it. This way you won't have to go through all the updates since the dvd has been produced, only the latest hotfixes.

MacAlpha

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
Great White North
I think you need to remove you existing wow version and reinstall wow then tbc.

Currently you can't install TBC because your wow version is too recent (you may have udpated wow after tbc has been released). So the TBC installer can't add the additional content to a newer version of wow that what it know of.

Alternatively you can go in the wow account management on worldofwarcraft.com and choose "download the game client" or something like it. You will directly download the entire wow installation (you'll have to choose TBC before the download start) and install it. This way you won't have to go through all the updates since the dvd has been produced, only the latest hotfixes.

This seems correct to me. I messed up my son's computer and his installation of Wow by trying to put Parental Controls on his computer (the OSX parental controls mess up Wow). I went to put the TBC disks in the drive to reinstall but it would not work because the version on the computer was Lich King. Even if you have only a TBC level account (I haven't ugraded my son yet because he doesn't have any characters about level 30), you are running the Lich King software. I went to the Blizzard site and tried to reinstall using their software and got the same menu you got. Eventually, I deleted the game of of his iMac and then used the software from the website to download the current Lich King version. It works perfectly. He just cannot travel to the new Lich King areas.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
At this point everybody that is patched up to 3.0.2 or higher has BC installed. It's mostly a matter of your account being able to access those features.

Everborne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
At this point everybody that is patched up to 3.0.2 or higher has BC installed. It's mostly a matter of your account being able to access those features.
Turns out this is the correct answer, since one of the Blizzard Posters on the WoW forums told me as much.

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.