Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
Has anyone used Shake on the new integrated chipset? Does it work OK? I'm thinking of buying the cheapo firewire MB to tide me over until the UK prices die down again and quad-cores make it to the midrange macs. I currently only have an iMac G5 rev A (1.8Ghz, 2GB, GeForce FX 5200) at home and I'm pretty pleased with most of what it can do. I used shake on the first intel mac minis and was surprised by how well it ran, but I never did any big comps, mostly just prep/roto. I would expect that even tho moving to an IGP is a step down, its been so many years that it would really be a step up and I can't really justify the markup for dedicated gfx that apple charges.

What about FCP?

agentmouthwash

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
I would like to know the same. Everybody assumes that FCP users are pros so they should spend $3000 for a computer, but the 20" iMac is my budget.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
anybody?

To answer your question, agentmouthwash, I suspect Final Cut will run fine. Your main bottleneck would likely be your HD. I suspect a mac mini running off a striped external array via fw800 would make for a pretty zippy timeline, provided you use the right codec. I seem to remember that only motion requires dedicated gfx, and even then only for full functionality.

Of course, I can't say any of this for sure. It would be nice to hear somebody who's actually used some of the suite or even possibly Shake (which would be more GPU-intensive) on one of the new nVidia IGP macs.

nickane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
PS I think its a real shame that apple has raised the bar so high for dedicated gfx in the desktop line that it works out cheaper to buy a macbook pro (here in the UK at least).

No matter how good the nVidia chipset is, the decision to make dedicated gfx a hi-end feature in the imacs flies in the face of the fact that most PC users cite poor gfx options in the midrange as the major deterrant against buying a mac (whether they're video enthusiasts, gamers or not, most ppl expect at least mid-range components for such high prices).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.