Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I originally posted this in the ATV/Home Theater section, but realized it's not so much an ATV/Home Theater issue, so I'm reposting here:

Previously, I've ripped my movies at 640x480 and set the ABR at 2300; video size to ensure playback on my iPods/iPhone, and bit rate to ensure it doesn't exceed 2500kbps (the supposed limit for the iPod.) I'm experimenting with the Universal setting; it's the standard setup, but with detelecine and decomb on. I've got this so far.

The Bourne Identity: 720x480 (640x480 loose anamorphic), 1767kbps
Ironman: 720x368 (868x368 loose anamorphic), 1399kbps

Both movies play in iTunes and on my iPhone just fine, and will transfer to my 6th gen iPod classic (160GB) and 3rd gen iPod nano, but won't won't play on either of them. When I select a movie, it goes to a black screen, and reverts to the Movie menu a few seconds later.

What might be causing this? What can I do to make them work properly? I'd love to use the Universal setting; the quality is excellent and file sizes are small.

--------------------------------------------------

When I first posted this, someone responded and said he/she could only get videos to play if they were strict anamorphic. I re-encoded the movies...

Bourne Identity: 720x480 (640x480 strict anamorphic), 2727kbps
Ironman: 718x360 (851x360 strict anamorphic), 1554kbps

... I still have the same problem: they'll transfer to the iPods, but won't play. Play just fine on my iPhone.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
When I make a movie for my iPhone/iPod Touch I use the iPhone/iPod Touch preset. It seems to work well for them, but I really don't use my other iPod's for movies. Perhaps someone else will know a format that works well on all iPod models.

dmiller

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2008
have you tried the Apple Universal setting in Handbrake with 5G support checked??

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I haven't, since it's a classic (6th-generation,) but I will give it a whirl.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
...actually the 5th Gen (and 5.5) were the iPod "Video" models, they didn't start calling it a "classic" until the 6th Gen...

Yes, I know, but it's still part of the same line that became the iPod 'classic', so the suffix is still sufficient to identify the model. Especially later this year when/if a new iPod nano is released - that would be a 5G as well, so just tossing "5G" around wouldn't be right, would it?

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
Yes, I know, but it's still part of the same line that became the iPod 'classic', so the suffix is still sufficient to identify the model. Especially later this year when/if a new iPod nano is released - that would be a 5G as well, so just tossing "5G" around wouldn't be right, would it?

Most people I talk with identify the HDD-based iPods (everything up to the current 120GB classic) as simply "iPod." The nano, naturally, gets referred to as a nano. Most people have no idea there were different models of the HDD iPod; it's not uncommon for a friend to tell me he has one of the first iPods released, and then he will pull out a 4th- or 5th-generation iPod.

Nomenclature aside, my understanding was the 5G iPod (video) checkbox in Handbrake was because it handled videos slightly differently than other iPods (lower bitrates, I think.) The box will only affect videos played on a 5G iPod, and nothing else, so I'm not sure why checking it might help. But I'll give it a whirl.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
A possible cause is if your encoding includes Variable Bit Rate (VBR). Don't quote me on that but I read some time ago that this was a cause of videos not playing for people, myself included.
b.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
A possible cause is if your encoding includes Variable Bit Rate (VBR). Don't quote me on that but I read some time ago that this was a cause of videos not playing for people, myself included.
b.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I'm using Handbrake's Universal setting, which should allow it to play on anything. Latest test:

Bourne Identity: 720x480 (640x480 loose anamorphic,) 2103kbps, 5G box checked

Same thing: the video transfers to my iPod but won't play. Plays fine in iTunes. I don't get the "Some of the videos in your iTunes library were not copied to the iPod because they cannot be played on this iPod" warning.

The videos play just fine on my iPhone.

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm using Handbrake's Universal setting, which should allow it to play on anything. Latest test:

Bourne Identity: 720x480 (640x480 loose anamorphic,) 2103kbps, 5G box checked

Same thing: the video transfers to my iPod but won't play. Plays fine in iTunes. I don't get the "Some of the videos in your iTunes library were not copied to the iPod because they cannot be played on this iPod" warning.

The videos play just fine on my iPhone.

Is the TV out option checked in your video settings on the ipod? I seem to remember this happening to me once and I left the video out option on which causes the video on the ipod screen to not show up

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
No, other videos I've ripped play just fine. I ripped all those at 640xXXX, which I guess I might just have to settle for. I just thought, with 720x480/anamorphic, videos would look slightly better when I eventually get an ATV and HDTV.

Oh well...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.