Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
hey, just wonderin what is the best method for learning how to make apps. i know everybodys asks the same thing, but im wondering the best way to go about it. i was looking for a book, but there doesnt seem to be any for total beginners.

ive done programming before, but i would consider myself a total beginner because i cant remember much of it.

quite eager to learn, should i get an objective C book or is there any iphone sdk books that are for total beginners?

i have done some tutorials online, video ones, i got some hello world apps going, but diddnt really understand what was going on so that i could go on from there.

hope someone can help or point me in some good direction.

thanks x

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
quite eager to learn, should i get an objective C book or is there any iphone sdk books that are for total beginners?
I don't think there is any book for iPhone development that assumes its readers are total beginners. They assume some knowledge of Objective-C. Therefore, start with an Objective-C book and then progress to an iPhone development book.

mav814

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2009
I don't think there is any book for iPhone development that assumes its readers are total beginners. They assume some knowledge of Objective-C. Therefore, start with an Objective-C book and then progress to an iPhone development book.

This is true and also some objective c books even assume you have knowledge in C or C++ (which of course is better to have anyway). So I would start with a C++ basic intro and just get the hang of it, not necessarily able to code programs, but know the fundamentals. That's what I've done and am now reading an objective c book and its clearer now. Hope this helps.

gusapple

macrumors 6502a
There is a book that I am using called "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" that covers introduction into Objective-C and then helps with iPhone programming. Although it says that it doesn't assume anything, it moves very fast. I would suggest that you start with a basic knowledge of programming language (EX: variables, loops, boolean , and such) then read. Make sure you read slowly too.
http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Developers-Library/dp/0321566157

blackmesa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2009
I started with this book.

Afterwards I continued with the documentation available from Apple+Google searches:)

yuanyuan

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
Although that book expects you to be familiar with Objective-C.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State

Hmm, must be an echo in here... in here...

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
This is true and also some objective c books even assume you have knowledge in C or C++ (which of course is better to have anyway). So I would start with a C++ basic intro and just get the hang of it...
Seriously, if he wants to learn how to develop for the iPhone learning C++ is not good advise. As Objective-C and C++ are both subsets of Ansi-C it will just be confusing to have to learn another language than the one he'll eventually use.

@Matt:
I suggest you get a beginner's book in C. This is as straightforward as they come.

I suggest starting with this book, then moving on to an Objective-C book before you delve into the iPhone/Cocoa-stuff...

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Seriously, if he wants to learn how to develop for the iPhone learning C++ is not good advise. As Objective-C and C++ are both subsets of Ansi-C it will just be confusing to have to learn another language than the one he'll eventually use.
If all he wants to do is develop for the iPhone, learning another language is, yes, confusing. But a good programmer will not balk at learning another language. It's something they'll have to do and shouldn't fear it. Otherwise, you end up with an "all I know is X but everyone recommends Y; why can't I develop for the iPhone/??? using X?" attitude that someday may hinder you. Having said that, I'm not suggesting also learning C++ at this point. It's better to stick with the basics and concentrate on progressive learning at this point. So, I'm guess I'm saying, "Yes, it's confusing, but for a different reason."

mattpreston11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
Thank you very much to those who replied.

Looks like an uphill struggle indeed, but i shall give it my best. have ordered the C book as recomended by NickFalk. Thank you very much.

If i grasp the concept of C quite well, would the step up to Objective C be easier? long way away yet though.

Thanks again.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
If all he wants to do is develop for the iPhone, learning another language is, yes, confusing. But a good programmer will not balk at learning another language...
I don't think we disagree all that much Dejo. But as Matt described himself as a "total beginner" wanting to learn have to make iPhone apps, C++ doesn't make sense.

It's like telling someone who wants to learn Portuguese that they should learn Spanish first...

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I don't think we disagree all that much Dejo. But as Matt described himself as a "total beginner" wanting to learn have to make iPhone apps, C++ doesn't make sense.

It's like telling someone who wants to learn Portuguese that they should learn Spanish first...

Perhaps it's the fact that I don't know neither Portuguese or Spanish, but how is learning C++ and learning Objective-C that much different?

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
Spanish and Portuguese have a lot in common and are part of the same group of languages. They are certainly two distinct languages however and while knowing Spanish might help when learning Portuguese it can also be hard for a beginner to remember which language that uses naranja and which language that uses laranja for orange. There is no point in learning Spanish first if your goal is to become fluent in Portuguese...

;)

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Spanish and Portuguese have a lot in common and are part of the same group of languages. They are certainly two distinct languages however and while knowing Spanish might help when learning Portuguese it can also be hard for a beginner to remember which language that uses naranja and which language that uses laranja for orange. There is no point in learning Spanish first if your goal is to become fluent in Portuguese...

;)
I like your example for few reasons. First, you are not expected to remember every method names and converse them like a real speaking language, hence there's Codesense. Second, I am sure Spanish speaking population outnumber Portuguese by at least 5:1 (random shot in a dark guess), and therefore it's much easier to learn Spanish than it is to learn Portuguese.

So for someone who wants to ultimately be good at iPhone programming(Portuguese), it is not such a bad idea to learn another more documented language first.

NickFalk

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2004
Actually I think it's closer to 2:1, but I think we've dragged this thread far enough away from its origins and should just agree to disagree. ;)

bitesize

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Stanford will be uploading all their lectures to iTunes, along with handouts on the course website, if you prefer learning in a lecture based environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.