Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ydidi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
How do I clear the entire macbook as if I just received it new? I still have the two installation discs it came with.

Thanks in advance.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Using Disc Utility on the OS DVD, you format the drive.

If you REALLY want to wipe it, you can choose a 5 or 7 pass formatting, but that will take quite some time. Then, after formatting, install the OS, and done.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
You don't have to format the drive if you don't need to. Just stick in disc 1, restart you mac, and hold the "C" key. This will boot off of the cd and you will be able to install a fresh copy of OS X.

ydidi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
You don't have to format the drive if you don't need to. Just stick in disc 1, restart you mac, and hold the "C" key. This will boot off of the cd and you will be able to install a fresh copy of OS X.

And will everything be cleared completely? Like, new? I want all my files gone. iTunes music, pictures, videos, documents.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
That's right, it's easier than I thought. Just insert the disc 1, and choose to install OS X, and choose Erase and Install.

Yes all of your files will be gone. If you plan on selling it, it's technically possible that files can be recovered, although highly unlikely someone will do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.