PDA

View Full Version : Worms 3D - 3D ruining the whole Worms experience?

cb911
Apr 16, 2004, 07:30 AM
well i just got the Worms 3D demo and played a couple of games Vs CPU.

my first impression was that it's really hard to control the camera, especially becaues you've got a time limit and you can't view the whole landscape as quickly as in the 2D Worms games. but perhaps the camera just takes some getting used to.

another thing that's a big put-off is that it's much harder to judge distance. for example if you're in first person view and have to try a hit a worm that's far away, it's really hard to try and factor in the effect of the wind while accurately judging the distance.

perhaps if there was a 'side' view that stayed fixed, and you could move your worm without the camera moving?

another thing that complicates things is that there's 3D wind as well. you've got a cross-wind and a front to back wind.

well maybe i've just lost my co-ordination over the last few months, but i much prefer the 2D Worms, even though they're only memories to me now, i haven't played Worms in ages. i just remember Worms being a much more fun game.

Worms 3D (http://www.worms3d.com)

ExoticFish
Apr 16, 2004, 09:54 AM
i agree for the most part, it's a lot harder to judge angle and velocity in 3D space like that. perhaps that's why Worms 3D has not been very popular. :rolleyes:

i love the idea but i'm not sureit's worked out for the best. worms is awesome and i wouldn't mind a bit more of 3D but i don't think it'll change my friends and i from gathering around the Dreamcast and playing some 4 player 2D Worms action.

keysersoze
Apr 16, 2004, 11:05 AM
i agree for the most part, it's a lot harder to judge angle and velocity in 3D space like that. perhaps that's why Worms 3D has not been very popular. :rolleyes:

i love the idea but i'm not sureit's worked out for the best. worms is awesome and i wouldn't mind a bit more of 3D but i don't think it'll change my friends and i from gathering around the Dreamcast and playing some 4 player 2D Worms action.

I loved (and still love) Worms 2D. I saw one screenshot of Worms 3D and can promise everyone I will never play it. Yuck. :(

plizard
Apr 16, 2004, 02:56 PM
Give it a chance. For lack of any games, or a computer capable of playing any games (ibook G3 @700mhz), I have been playing this game a lot since the demo came out. True it is a lot harder. But you catch on, and then its a lot more fun. I am able to beat the single player mission almost every time I try it. Vs mode is great, I already pre-ordered it.

ExoticFish
Apr 16, 2004, 03:03 PM
my main problem with the game thus far is the camera movement... it's way to hard to get the camera where you want it and sometimes it's impossible.

srobert
Apr 16, 2004, 03:41 PM
When will they learn. One extra dimension does not always equals a better game.

I've seen some clever 2-D vertical scroller games made with 3-d tech. It's like 3D but you can't move the camera and all the action is taking place in one orientation. Maybe that's what worms-3d should have been.

cb911
Apr 16, 2004, 07:43 PM
i still love the 2D Worms games as well. in fact i might see if i can pick up a copy somewhere...

on the up side, Worms 3D is a very nice looking game, and runs really good on my PB, and probably a very good game for iBooks as well.

well i might play the demo a bit more, see if i can get the hang of it.

Rezet
Apr 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
yep game sux. I just got it for ps2 and already selling it.
You shoot the damn zooka or throw grenades and it's almost impossible to try and even estimate where they will land. Worms armageddon still are the best....

cb911
Apr 16, 2004, 10:21 PM
it's a real pity that it's such a hard game to play, considering that it runs really well on Macs (at least PBs, probably iBooks as well).

i really hope they can do something to fix it up, perhaps release a add-on that allows you to play in good old 2D mode, perhaps with some 3D backgrounds and effects, like a MegaMan game that is on GameCube.

well i just checked out the Team17 forums... someone there said that they aren't going to go back to 2D... :( i hope they mean no more 'full' 2D, they really should have 3D environments, or something like that.

i might make a thread on their forums and see if others feel the same about the game... but from just browsing i get a feeling that everyone there would love a Worms game no matter what. :rolleyes:

dfbills
Nov 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
I think the game is a lot of fun. It takes some adjustment to the 3d universe, but it is well worth it. Leap forward to the future and embrace 3d-

applekid
Nov 25, 2004, 08:50 AM
I got used to playing the Worms 3D demo. Sure, I enjoy the 2D Worms games much more, but Worms 3D wasn't that bad. It just took a little getting used to. I think people treated more as a FPS than a Worms game so probably underestimated their shots.

mouchoir
Nov 25, 2004, 09:30 AM
I thought the same thing when one of my flatmates bought it for the ps2, but after a couple of go's its just as fun. If anything it's just an extra challenge that adds to it. The essential simpilcity that made the original great is still present. Admittedly, the camera movement is made simple by the dual analog sticks on the ps2 controller I'm not sure how that would translate to a mouse.

I was very concerned when the GTA series moved from 2D to 3D. It was one of my favourite games, especially for its simplicity but I'm glad to say I was proved completely wrong on that one! Until then I hadn't found a 3D game that played beyond its graphics but the last 3 GTA's have raised the benchmark.

Littleodie914
Nov 25, 2004, 09:34 AM
When will they learn. One extra dimension does not always equals a better game....there are 3+1
:D