PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook/Project PowerBook G4

TylerDurden130
Apr 1, 2009, 11:19 AM
First time posterÖ A quick background. I have been out of touch with technology for the past 2 years, no cell phone, no computer ectÖ traveling the world on a motorcycle. So I have been lurking on this site for about 2 months, reading reading reading on what to get. I have bought an iPhone and absolutely love it. Yesterday I ordered a refurbished MacBook 2.4 2GB and it should arrive tomorrow (waiting really sucks). Also, realizing technology has changed so much, I also ordered an Airport Express, I currently have an old Airport Extreme space saucer, itís a ďgĒ, so that is why I bought the ďnĒ Express. Iím pretty pumped to get both of these! I plan on buying more RAM, but have heard of some issues with the new MacBooks, any advise on where to get it? Crucialís website? Anything else that is essential to have? Before leaving I had cable internet, but my building has recently switched to DSL, which I have no experience with. The highest speed they offer is 3 download, I noticed AT&T has higher speeds, but my stupid building has a contract with this local company so Iím stuck. Will the Express be sufficient to run this? Do I need the Express or can I use the old Extreme? I assume no since its an ďGĒ and the speed coming out of DSL would be much faster?

Also, so now I have a Powerbook G4 getting no use, itís a 1ghz with I believe 512 of RAM, Iím thinking of making it a little project of mine, since it works fine but just behind its time. Will this be able to connect using the new Express? Any suggestions on what to do with it? Iím thinking about getting a 1tb external HD and dedicating this machine to downloads and ripping DVDís. I would also like to make it into an AppleTV, having it constantly hooked up to my tv and stereo system to stream movies and music, but Iím not sure how to do this. Iím not married to these ideaís so throw out what you think I should do with it, Iím up to buying additional hardware, I just donít want it to sit unused.