PDA

View Full Version : bent metal on iPod

Dogdog
Apr 16, 2004, 01:05 PM
I haven't dropped it or mishandled it in any way, but for some reason yetserday I noticed the metal on the right side of my iPod is slightly bent. You can't notice it at first, but when you run your finger down the side you can feel the seam between the metal and the plastic, for only the top half. Is this covered under warranty? I can't imagine how it happened, as it's never been dropped.

StarmanDeluxe
Apr 17, 2004, 01:43 PM
Funny. Mine is the same way, same side, and while mine has been dropped, I noticed the problem the day I purchased it. Doesn't seem to affect performance, so I haven't taken action.

mkrishnan
Apr 17, 2004, 03:32 PM
Funny. Mine is the same way, same wide, and while mine has been dropped, I noticed the problem the day I purchased it. Doesn't seem to affect performance, so I haven't taken action.

I wonder if this has something to do with the locking tabs that hold the plastic and metal together (see here http://www.ipodbattery.com/ipodinstall.htm)? On mine, you can slightly feel a waviness in the metal on and off the locking tabs (I think)....

Mal
Apr 17, 2004, 04:07 PM
I had the exact same problem with mine. I took it into the Apple Store in Ginza while I was there :D and the guy just took it back in the back, popped it back in place, and brought it back out within 5 minutes, at no charge. Apparently it has something to do with the take-apart procedure, and it basically just starts to come apart. He said if it became a recurring problem that Apple would replace it for me, though I would have more problem than most since I had an engraved backing. I don't remember how much he said that would cost, or if it would be free. I guess it probably depends on the warranty.

JW