Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erlend31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Hi!

If there's anyone here familiar with the program Toast Titanium? I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me what the function "Render Quality" in Toast Titanium (9) does when I encode apple lossless files (from FLACs). There are 3 choices (5 in toast 10) - fast, normal, best. Lossless is lossless right? Also I thought that apple lossless only had one compression level?

These files made by Toast seem a bit strange though. The bitrate is always listed as 705kbps in iTunes, although that can't be right, and the files will not play on my brand new Cowon O2, though apple lossless files made by XLD or iTunes present no problem. I've already converted about 25000 files with toast, so that was an unpleasent surprise..

I would appreciate any help or tip very much!
Thanks for reading. :)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Lossless is lossless right? Also I thought that apple lossless only had one compression level?

"compression level" is just the ratio of un-compressed size to compressed size. I think Toast tries harder to make the files smaller based on the number you select. It would always be lossless. I think it controls how long it looks for repeating bit patterns or something along those lines.

XLD does seen to do a better job if you need to import to iTunes. I've used Toast only to create audio CDs. I'm pretty sure XLD uses Quicktime to do the conversion. So XLD would be using the same software library as iTunes

Erlend31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks! That sounds logical. Either way, Toast does something different with the ALAC files (compared to iTunes/quicktime), so that my O2 can't play them.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
"compression level" is just the ratio of un-compressed size to compressed size. I think Toast tries harder to make the files smaller based on the number you select. It would always be lossless. I think it controls how long it looks for repeating bit patterns or something along those lines.

XLD does seen to do a better job if you need to import to iTunes. I've used Toast only to create audio CDs. I'm pretty sure XLD uses Quicktime to do the conversion. So XLD would be using the same software library as iTunes

Hi Iam so interesed in doing the best for convert flac to apple lossless, I was post some things about this, but now this post put my mind thinking again, beacuse I like use TOAST for do the job... and maybe xld make a better render... I was think that toast use the same render that xld ??? :confused::eek:

SO... HERE'S A TEST

XLD
---------------------------------

Flac to Apple Lossless using XLD
Process
  1. (just drag the flac's and xld convert)

Pros:
More fast, convert file to file and done (I dont care is if more fast but dont put tags to the album)
Cons:
Dont put tags to the albums that dont have it!

TOAST
---------------------------------

Flac to Apple Lossless using TOAST
Process
  1. Drag the flac's
  2. Put 0s seconds between tracks
  3. Save like a Image
  4. Mount the Image
  5. Open iTunes (iTunes get the track names album from internet WOW GREAT!)
  6. Import to apple lossless

Pros:
they get album tags of the album for use itunes, is like insert a CD and import with itunes
Cons:
More slow process (I dont care if give better results)
POOR RENDER THAT XLD WHEN CONVERT FLAC TO AUDIO IMAGE ??????? THATS MY NEW QUESTION????? :confused: this post make me thing in that!

I convert a same song with the 2 methods! and they bring me 2 different results on BIT RATE (see the attachments, please)
XLD: 880 bitrate, 32.3mb
Toast > iTunes: 882 bitrate, 32.4mb

WHY the different, which is better??? why different bit rate and different size mb?

if somebody say that XLD make better render, I think so make this:
Flac to WAV on XLD
WAV to Toast Image CD
Mount it
iTunes get track names and convert to apple lossless
Of that way TOAST dont make a render of Flac, beacuse is a WAV ??????

Please a hardcore expert comments of whats is better for convert my files without loose any quality of the original sources!!!!

thanks!!

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 97

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
Please a hardcore expert comments of whats is better for convert my files without loose any quality of the original sources!!!!

thanks!!

Both do the same job. Both will do a lossless conversion. So in both cases you will not lose any quality. What program you use is up to you. Personally, I use Max.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
Both do the same job. Both will do a lossless conversion. So in both cases you will not lose any quality. What program you use is up to you. Personally, I use Max.

it seem not be the same, see the attachments... different size mb and bit rate! why??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
it seem not be the same, see the attachments... different size mb and bit rate! why??

With lossless files bit rate is not an indicator of audio quality.

Lossless is just that. If one setting makes for a smaller file it is because the software, with that setting spent more time looking for and encoding patterns.

With lossless, no matter what the setting, you will get back the same exact bits that went in. All lossless files formats have identical audio quality.

Jolly Jimmy

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
ChrisA explained better than me. :)

But you really don't need to look any futher than the word Lossless.

umbilical

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
FL, USA
With lossless files bit rate is not an indicator of audio quality.

Lossless is just that. If one setting makes for a smaller file it is because the software, with that setting spent more time looking for and encoding patterns.

With lossless, no matter what the setting, you will get back the same exact bits that went in. All lossless files formats have identical audio quality.

great! so I stop my panic with use toast..., beacuse I was convert a lot files and I dont want repeat the process again.

but for curiosity, what use toast for convert to flac to audio cd??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.