PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever replace the hard drive on an emac...

g30ffr3y
Apr 16, 2004, 03:36 PM
my girlfriend plans on getting one tonight [emac]... but only the combo drive... the 40 gig drive is awful small so i figured i could put in a bigger one for her... im not completely technically inept... but i just wanted to see if anyone had done this and if it was tough or what the deal was... thanks...

blue&whiteman
Apr 16, 2004, 04:08 PM
my girlfriend plans on getting one tonight [emac]... but only the combo drive... the 40 gig drive is awful small so i figured i could put in a bigger one for her... im not completely technically inept... but i just wanted to see if anyone had done this and if it was tough or what the deal was... thanks...

just do a bto and upgrade to the 80GB. its only 50$ more.

Sun Baked
Apr 16, 2004, 04:10 PM
It's a PIA and will void the warranty, the procedure for replacing the drive on the eMac make the one in the iMac look easy.

BTO the drive of use an external until the warranty runs out.

g30ffr3y
Apr 16, 2004, 04:10 PM
we have an apple store locally that she would just assume go buy it from... ive been looking up some stuff online and it doesnt look impossible to do... i just dont know if there are weird proprietary screws i wont be able to get out...

7on
Apr 16, 2004, 04:14 PM
Apple doesn't use proprietary screws I know of. Usually philips or Torx T-8.

http://www.wilko.com/emac/

jxyama
Apr 16, 2004, 05:15 PM
you may have to buy some thermal paste... at least, such was the case for LCD iMacs. otherwise, the machine would overheat...

assuming you won't be moving not-so-portable eMac that often, what would be wrong with an external?

IndyGopher
Apr 16, 2004, 05:18 PM
There are some hex screws to get the case off, but the inside is populated with phillps screws. The problem with the eMac is that the hard drive is mounted in a place (under the CRT) that requires taking it all the way apart (the computer, not the CRT) and is, indeed a massive pain in the butt. I can't tell you not to do it, but the convenience of picking one up at the Apple Store is not worth the combination of effort, expense, and loss of your warranty. If you need to send the machine for warranty, you would have to take the whole thing apart again, put the original back in it, and hope that they still cover the machine.. not worth it. If it were a machine with a dead drive, that would be another situation.

jxyama
Apr 16, 2004, 05:24 PM
oh, one more thing... CRT can hold quite a bit of charge, even when disconnected, for quite some time. so much that it could, at worst, kill you.

be careful...

g30ffr3y
Apr 17, 2004, 02:25 PM
because the retail employees are freaking morons!!!

yesterday my gf called the apple store and asked if the new emacs were in...
they told her that only the combo drive came in...

yesterday i called the apple store independently a few hours after my gf called the apple store and asked if the new emacs were in...
they told me that only the combo drive came in...

yesterday night my gf and i went to the apple store
we were approached by a rep and my gf told him she was interested in the new emac with the combo drive

he says something to the effect of "thats a great machine... with an 8x dvd burner"

realizing that we were talking about two different computers
i speak up and ask if the superdrives had arrived...

he says that he doesnt know... asks my gf if she is a student... she is
but doesnt have her ID... he directs her to pull up some info online
from her student account on a demo imac...

then he tries to sell us one of the old emacs for the whopping savings of... $100.00... um NO... just go fetch the computer... [only said that in my head... dont worry]

the apple rep comes back and tells us that they dont have any of the new emacs... [which is funny since two people told us that they did]

my gf tells him that she called and they said that the combo drives were in...
the apple rep tells us that they arent... FINE...

he takes down my gf's # and what she wants and tells us that someone should call by tuesday... but that we definately have to answer the phone becaus they wont leave a message...

dumb ass...

i end up taking my gf out to dinner... she was a little sad that she didnt get her first [new] mac...

once we get back to my place we go onto apple.com and order her a BTO superdrive emac already built with an 80gig hard drive, upgraded to 512ram, apple care, .mac, the free printer and... for me... Logic Pro 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :D :D :D :p :p :p

basically... i wont be taking apart any emacs... but thanks for telling me not to electrocute myself... i was a little afraid to get that far into her computer anyhow...

solvs
Apr 17, 2004, 04:47 PM
You did use the education discount right? You get the same things, only cheaper. Software too. Although in the stores, only hardware is discounted and it sounded like the sales guy wasn't very helpful, so you probably made the right choice ordering online.

If you didn't use the education dicount online, cancel your order and re-order using the education link on their store website.

And use the savings to buy Applecare. It's cheaper with the discount as well.

g30ffr3y
Apr 17, 2004, 08:01 PM
You did use the education discount right? You get the same things, only cheaper. Software too. Although in the stores, only hardware is discounted and it sounded like the sales guy wasn't very helpful, so you probably made the right choice ordering online.

If you didn't use the education dicount online, cancel your order and re-order using the education link on their store website.

And use the savings to buy Applecare. It's cheaper with the discount as well.

she did use her educational discount :)
i recommended the apple care which she did indeed take...
how do i get my .mac referral credit... anyone know???

and dont tell apple... but she got me Logic Pro 6 for half price [only 499.99]
on her educational discount for my birthday [may 22]... :cool:

shes getting a mini ipod [april 30... but it wont arrive til well after that im sure... 3-5 weeks... eek...] so i only feel like a total schmuck... :rolleyes: