Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Found an ipod touch and i'm trying to return it to it's owner.
I tried to connect it to my mbp but it's password protected so i can't access the adress list to see if the owner has added any persons i can contact on it

Any suggestions on how i can find out who the owner is ?

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Best you can do, call Apple, see if they can find out who it is registered to by the serial number. (Visible on the back; although there is no guarantee that it was registered...)

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Update: they didn't want to give out any information like that and i was just advised to contact the local police.

I pretty much see that as a last resort, as they'll just throw it in a box and see if someone comes to collect it.

Any other tips ?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I figured Apple wouldn't be real helpful. Perhaps they could be kind and contact the person themselves rather than give out information. Might be asking too much of them though, they're not notoriously helpful with anything in my experience.

I think the cops would be useless as well.

Where did you find it? Any chance of putting up a notice that you found a "small device" between 26 March and 1 April and to contact you? That way they can say the date and time they lost it and what it is that they lost. This may give you a better idea if the person contacting you is its rightful owner.

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I'll put up a sign and see if that works, was hoping there was a more effective way though

The Ipod is listed with a first name as well, which makes it slightly easier to identify the owner

messedkid

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2007
Oshawa, ON
nice to see there are still some decent honest people out there

Ditto. I don't know alot of people who, if they would have found an iPod Touch, let alone any form of electronic device, would try to return it to its previous owner.

Kudos Tom. :) You get an A++ in my books.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Calling won't do. Bring it to genius bar. They might email the registered contact if they are smart.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I'd put up a poster near where you found it. "Found - iPod belonging to Joe".

If "Joe" contacts you and can describe the iPod (e.g. "2nd gen iPod touch, 8 gig") then arrange a meeting in a public place, and if he's able to unlock the access code, then you're all set.

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Problem is that since the ipod is locked with the passcode, i can't get access to the ipod on the computer to see any of the songs or similar information. The only thing that happens when i connect it is that i get a message that i have to enter the passcode to get access to it in itunes.

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I'd put up a poster near where you found it. "Found - iPod belonging to Joe".

If "Joe" contacts you and can describe the iPod (e.g. "2nd gen iPod touch, 8 gig") then arrange a meeting in a public place, and if he's able to unlock the access code, then you're all set.

It was found in a street

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Problem is that since the ipod is locked with the passcode, i can't get access to the ipod on the computer to see any of the songs or similar information. The only thing that happens when i connect it is that i get a message that i have to enter the passcode to get access to it in itunes.

that is what they call security measures for such a thing like this were they left the iPod in the street :rolleyes:

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I don't see the harm in contacting the police and handing it to them. If the owner filed a complaint then he is sure to get it back. Plus, what do you lose by handing it to the cops?

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I don't see the harm in contacting the police and handing it to them. If the owner filed a complaint then he is sure to get it back. Plus, what do you lose by handing it to the cops?

Because if he turns it into the police, it's not very likely the iPod will return to its rightful owner, and that's what the OP is interested in ensuring. Cops have more crap to deal with than iPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.