Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Hey Mac Buddies,
Hoping to find an Applescript or some kind of program that will take a folder full of jpegs and allow me to rename them all then add an ascending number e.g. it may name them all: Island Holiday Apr09_01, Island Holiday Apr09_02, Island Holiday Apr09_03 etc. etc.
About the only thing I have found on line is a reference to a Program called 'R-Name' at:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14404
which sounds perfect, but is no longer available.

I want to change the ACTUAL FILE NAMES, and so I don't want to use iPhoto. When I edit my photos I like the actual file to be edited or renamed etc, so my burnt to disk backups reflect all these changes.

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Hopefully in your hands !:rolleyes:

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Can this not be done using automator? I have not used it but it seems to be on the right lines.

ajpl

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
If you have them, both Bridge and Lightroom have very powerful renaming abilitities which can also use the camera EXIF data to name files using the date taken if you want.
I set a preset up so all I do is select files add name/desription and let LR/Br do the rest so I get 2009-04-02 Bonnie + Clyde shootout 001.CR2
You can have whatever date style you like, where you like or even not at all. All up to you.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Automator can do this

look over at Automator World there is a batch renaming automator workflow on there, somewhere, works great for files or photographs ;)

can't find it for you unfortunatly i'm at work :eek:

Col

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Problem Solved ! Thank You To All !!!

Hey Mac-Buddies !

I was spoilt for choice with solutions and tried a couple, finally loving the 'Name Mangler' Program. I will definitely send this programmer a donation for this great little prog... Thank you Pomeroy, it is now sitting in my dock too ;)

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help a novice-type like me What a great community :D

Col

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.