Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JadeTiger712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
I've had my laptop since around August and I have had issues from time to time when it wouldn't load a disk. But now neither DVDs or CDs will load onto my computer. It just spins and then ejects the disk.

In the past I found that if I replaced to disk multiple times it would eventually work, but now it doesn't.

Could my disk drive just be crap? I've tried to do a few things to get it to work including resetting PRAM and NVRAM.

Will I just need to get the drive replaced or is there something else I could try.

(The CDs and DVDs I have been using are not burned)

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Sounds like you need the drive replaced. You could try booting your install media, if it just spits that out as well you know for sure it's not a software issue.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I was just about to post the same thing, just that it's happening to my moms MacBook. My problem that here it takes them ages to do ANY kind of repair, so since we have no other computer I have no idea when I can take it in for a repair (it took them a MONTH to change the cracking wrist pad!).
So any ideas that I can try?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I was just about to post the same thing, just that it's happening to my moms MacBook. My problem that here it takes them ages to do ANY kind of repair, so since we have no other computer I have no idea when I can take it in for a repair (it took them a MONTH to change the cracking wrist pad!).

Contact Apple Care, or just get an external optical drive.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY

If they don't have the parts in stock ask to keep the computer in the meantime. That's what I always do.

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
If they don't have the parts in stock ask to keep the computer in the meantime. That's what I always do.

Do exactly what he says, take it to the nearest apple store, they will try to read some discs and then burn some and read them, and when that fails they will tell you that the optical drive needs to be replaced, then they will probably check if they have any in stock, if they do, then it's like a day for them to do it, if not, then kindly ask that they order the part, while you take your computer with you since it's your only computer, and that they call you when it gets there.

that's what I did. But I then decided to leave mine there since I was also experiencing some random freezes and other stuff.

JadeTiger712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Will getting the part cost me any money, or since my computer is still under warranty am I set with that?

wesrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
I took mine for this precise problem, and a few other issues, and they told me 7-10 days. They haven't done anything to it yet due to some unforeseen circumstance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.