PDA

View Full Version : iMac G4/Operating System Questions

Keniff
Apr 2, 2009, 09:11 AM
Hey,

I have an old iMac G4 sitting in a box, to be honest it's probably not worth anything, I've seen them online for about $100/75! :eek:
So I'm looking to maybe give it away to somebody that just wants the internet and iTunes, etc.

I want to do a fresh installation of the operating system, so it's nice and clean for the next owner, but I don't have the disks for it, anymore!

So....

1 - At the moment, it has OS X 10.3.9 on it, can I put Leopard 10.5.4 on it?

2 - If not what OS can I put on it, and how do I clean it up without the disks?

Thanks in advance.

K.

(here a picture of it, just to jog any memories) :)

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3734/imacg4.jpg

yellow
Apr 2, 2009, 10:04 AM
You really need to get some system discs to sell with it.

You don't list the specs, so it's hard to tell you what to put on it. In my opinion, Tiger should be the upper limit of OS on it, with Panther probably running smoother (less bloat and overhead than Tiger).

At this point, you should be able to get a retail version of Panther pretty inexpensively to include with it.

jackoverfull
Apr 2, 2009, 10:12 AM
My father's main mac is still a similar computer.:)

So I'm looking to maybe give it away to somebody that just wants the internet and iTunes, etc.
For browsing, listening music and maybe videos (if you doesn't have problems seeing them on an lcd panel) is still good, also because the speakers are of very good quality (although the g3's were better). Provided it isn't the integrated-only speaker model, of course.

1 - At the moment, it has OS X 10.3.9 on it, can I put Leopard 10.5.4 on it? It depends on the model and on the installed ram. If you have 384 mb of ram or more you can definitely install tiger, with 512+ and a 1 ghz processor i'd probably go with leopard (although tiger will still suffice for almost everything).

Keniff
Apr 2, 2009, 10:31 AM
Thankyou people, for your prompt reply, I'm very grateful for your help.

K.