PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Still Hoping to Bring Office to iPhone?

MacRumors
Apr 2, 2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/02/microsoft-still-hoping-to-bring-office-to-iphone/)

TechCrunch reports (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/01/is-office-finally-coming-to-the-iphone/) on comments made by Stephen Elop, President of Microsoft's Business Division, at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco that suggest that Microsoft is still exploring ways to bring its Office suite of applications to the iPhone.I’m here at the Web 2.0 Expo keynote, where Stephen Elop, President of Microsoft Business Division, hinted that we may be seeing Microsoft Office make its way to the iPhone some time soon. After his interviewer Tim O’Reilly caught him on the comment, Elop backtracked a bit, stating "not yet, keep watching". But it's clear that an iPhone version of Office is on his mind.Fortune reported a year ago that Microsoft's Mac Business Unit was exploring its options (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/25/microsoft-bu-and-tellme-exploring-iphone-sdk-options/) for iPhone applications, and it appears that something may still be in the works.

Article Link: Microsoft Still Hoping to Bring Office to iPhone? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/02/microsoft-still-hoping-to-bring-office-to-iphone/)

kjs862
Apr 2, 2009, 11:28 AM
This would be great! I hope Apple approves it.

Eso
Apr 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
Nice! Now to bring my HW assignments to print on campus, I can copy them to my iPhone through the USB, proofread and correct any errors during my commute, then print the final version when I arrive!

Oh yeah, you can't sync files over the USB. No bother, I'll just use AirSharing to get them on. Oh yeah, an MS Office app wouldn't be able to access AirSharing's files. Hrm, well I can just email them to myself, then email myself a second time if I need to!

Oh wait...

cthielen
Apr 2, 2009, 11:36 AM
comments made by Stephen Elop, President of Microsoft's Business Division, at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco that suggest that Microsoft is still exploring ways to bring its Office suite of applications to the iPhone.

I assume this means viewers or simple editors. I doubt anybody who want to do serious Office work on their iPhones. That said, Mail can already view PDFs and .doc (and I think .xls?) so ... I'm a bit lost here. Can someone explain the significance of this? Is it just Microsoft showing additional iPhone interest?

TunesRus90
Apr 2, 2009, 11:38 AM
While this is intriguing, I am not getting my hopes up. It would have to be pretty full-featured and/or really cheap for me to buy it. I guess Excel and Powerpoint might be nice, but I believe the iPhone can already read most if not all office-related files, and I just don't see that much of a market for mobile document composing beyond what can already be done with other (sometimes free) apps.

This would be great! I hope Apple approves it.
If it were to be created, I see no reason whatsoever for Apple to not approve it. They get 30% of the revenue, why not?

cthielen
Oh yeah, an MS Office app wouldn't be able to access AirSharing's files.

I forget which of the many file sharing apps on the iPhones has which features, but besides Bonjour you can always view a mini-website on your iPhone that has access to your files. I forget if AirSharing has this feature but I know one of the many other apps does and that's fairly universal - hell, I think it even works on Edge/3G (although your IP address is on some AT&T subnet).

dj420118
Apple should probably jump in and get iWork on the darn phone already. What is taking them so long!

Saladinos
Apr 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
Apple should probably jump in and get iWork on the darn phone already. What is taking them so long!

Who said that they haven't?

Office used to be a key strategic part of windows mobile. The ability to have apps on your mobile device that you're used to from your desktop machine. It is a testament to the utter failure of Microsoft's mobile strategy that Microsoft no longer believes keeping Office from the iPhone to be of net economic benefit to the company.

wrldwzrd89
Apr 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
I hate to be a party crasher, but... I'm against this. If Microsoft does make an iPhone version of Office I will stay away. My reasons are simple: Office on Mac OS (and on Windows) is bloated with features that most people never use, and it's extremely buggy as well.

TheSlush
Apr 2, 2009, 11:47 AM
Ah, irony.

Abstract
Apr 2, 2009, 11:50 AM
^^^ Ah come on. It was funny. :p

If it were to be created, I see no reason whatsoever for Apple to not approve it. They get 30% of the revenue, why not?
I agree with your reasoning, but it's Apple, so you never know. :o

They may be hoping to create their own iWorks app for the iPhone and sell it for more money than most other apps at the App store, say $30, and Microsoft's introduction of Office on the iPhone may cut into that profit considerably. I know that if I had a choice, I'd choose Office. Why would I need Pages on my iPhone? Or Numbers? ;) MS Word on the iPhone is the killer app, not anything else offered by MS's Office suite, or iWorks.

knightlie
Apr 2, 2009, 11:55 AM
I hate to be a party crasher, but... I'm against this. If Microsoft does make an iPhone version of Office I will stay away. My reasons are simple: Office on Mac OS (and on Windows) is bloated with features that most people never use, and it's extremely buggy as well.

I'd never use it, but I can see how it would be useful for business users, even in just viewer form. But I can't see how they could cram the bloated and swollen useless-feature-fest that is Office onto the iPhone and have it usable. They should probably just make a suite of viewer apps, including perhaps a cut-down powerpoint player.

twoodcc
Apr 2, 2009, 11:56 AM
i think this would be great for the iphone. i hope it happens soon

Telp
Apr 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure I would buy, unless it was cheap enough, but the iPhone needs a real, good, office suite, by someone.

muledogus
Apr 2, 2009, 12:01 PM
As long as they make it bare enough to be quick.

Virgil-TB2
Apr 2, 2009, 12:02 PM
While this is intriguing, I am not getting my hopes up. It would have to be pretty full-featured and/or really cheap for me to buy it. ... No offence, but a "full-featured" Office is not going to happen for a phone and nor should it. A better design is to work out a basic editor that isn't too cluttered and can perform basic tasks easily. Even more important would be syncing revisions with the web or your other computers or both.

I'm hoping Apple will come out with a simplified version of Pages and Numbers for the iPhone which are better applications anyway. If I could keep the documents I'm currently working on on MobileMe, access them from the iPhone on the way to work and keep everything in sync, I'd be a happy camper.

The big killer for MS Office on the iPhone will (IMO) be price. There is no way that MS will make it free, and given the price of their current offerings it will likely be in the $50+ range at minimum.

Anyone willing to pay that, will probably also be foolish enough to be satisfied, but most won't bother unless their business is paying for it.

Just like regular Office. ;)

Shuttleworth
Apr 2, 2009, 12:06 PM

iWork.com perhaps? that would be well suited to the iPhone.

talkingfuture
Apr 2, 2009, 12:06 PM
This would be cool for checking documents on the move etc. Doubt you could do any productive work on it, but when you need to look something up it would be ideal.

MacVixen
Apr 2, 2009, 12:07 PM
I would like to see Office or iWorks for the phone. I wouldn't use it alot, but it would be convenient for various email attachments that I get at times.

And this is probably a way stupid question, but... I saw this link posted yesterday - it's not Microsoft official, but wouldn't this do the same thing?

http://www.quickoffice.com/

It says Coming to iPhone April 2009, and based on the prices for the other mobile phones, seems as though it would be about $30 which doesn't seem like a bad price.

stainlessliquid
Apr 2, 2009, 12:08 PM
Id rather them start with msn/hotmail support in Mail.

As far as business uses go I think outlook could be really big, a lot of people rely on the calendar function heavily for meetings and reminders.

BornAgainMac
Apr 2, 2009, 12:11 PM
Microsoft is always "hoping" for a lot of things. It would be nice if you can run MS-Access applications on the iPhone or even the Mac.

jtgotsjets
Apr 2, 2009, 12:12 PM
I assume this means viewers or simple editors. I doubt anybody who want to do serious Office work on their iPhones. That said, Mail can already view PDFs and .doc (and I think .xls?) so ... I'm a bit lost here. Can someone explain the significance of this? Is it just Microsoft showing additional iPhone interest?

I think it is more the fact that there is absolutely nothing available in this vein currently.

Which is really, totally absurd. I mean, yes you're right, I don't want to be laying out pages and writing novels on my pod, but hell, word processing is just about the most basic app there is. It's been almost a year and the best anyone has given us is a couple glorified notes applications that have fewer features than text edit. Throw us a damn bone here—anything will do.

macfan881
Apr 2, 2009, 12:14 PM
and watch knowing how ridiculsy priced office is for pc and mac watch the iphone app be 50 bucks.

jtgotsjets
Apr 2, 2009, 12:18 PM
As a side note to those discussing cost—if Google would just get GoogleDocs working on the iPhone, we'd be good.

JayLenochiniMac
Apr 2, 2009, 12:19 PM
http://www.quickoffice.com/

It says Coming to iPhone April 2009, and based on the prices for the other mobile phones, seems as though it would be about $30 which doesn't seem like a bad price.

Yes, they just screwed their existing customers by re-badging MobileFiles Pro (made to appear like a general file storage/reading/editing) to Quicksheet (which can only edit Excel files).

ivladster
Apr 2, 2009, 12:25 PM
apple will implement iWork before Office anyway, I think Microsoft should worry about their own Phones ;)

MacDaddy901
Apr 2, 2009, 12:25 PM
I think they need to be working on their own OS before developing for better ones. And I really don't get the need for Office/iWork on the iPhone. If I am going to be any doing any word processing, powerpoints, whatever... it's sure as hell not going to be on a phone. I'll leave that up to my pc. I just don't see a market here.

oTaRu
Apr 2, 2009, 12:34 PM
hope this is real... and this will be much better

thisrocks
Apr 2, 2009, 12:40 PM
Has anyone here ever used an um...what are they called again..oh yeah a PDA!!

Jeez, my HP PDA from way back in 2001 had a word editor on it which I could open up word docs with...what is it now, 2009...how much more advanced is hardware? A TRUCK LOAD.

Was word bloated back then? Yes...was the mobile version? No. Will it need to be now? No. Why does everyone get on M$'s back straight away, yeesh. A basic editor will be more than handy, and save people carrying a laptop for some small typos, and using the device as yet another document backup device will be more than handy.

The iPhone isn't some fragile piece of porcelain, it's a super advanced piece of hardware and supposedly the "BEST" phone out there...why do people treat it like a 486 with 256k ram..just because it can only run one app at a time, doesn't mean that the app has to be limited also.

Anuba
Apr 2, 2009, 12:46 PM
I had some pocket version of Office on a Compaq iPaq handheld Windows CE machine many years ago (2001 or thereabouts). Excel and Word documents were fully editable and it was surprisingly usable actually. Seeing as the iPhone has similar screen res to the old iPaq I don't see why they couldn't bring a fully functional Pocket Office to the iPhone rather than a simple viewer.

Virgil-TB2
Apr 2, 2009, 12:46 PM
... I agree with your reasoning, but it's Apple, so you never know. :o

They may be hoping to create their own iWorks app for the iPhone and sell it for more money than most other apps at the App store, say $30, and Microsoft's introduction of Office on the iPhone may cut into that profit considerably. I know that if I had a choice, I'd choose Office. Why would I need Pages on my iPhone? Or Numbers? ;) MS Word on the iPhone is the killer app, not anything else offered by MS's Office suite, or iWorks.No offence dude, but you're talking crazy talk here.

In the first place, when has Apple ever engaged in the kind of software pricing shenanigans you are accusing them of here? Never, that's when. Secondly, which of the two companies has the ridiculously overpriced Office suite? Microsoft, that's who.

Pages and Numbers knock MS Office to the floor in terms of quality and use for the most part and while "advanced" :rolleyes: business users may need some of the features in Office that iWorks doesn't have yet, in a mobile product that deals only with feature sub-sets, that point is moot.

A Pages app for the iPhone that opened and edited Word documents would be far more popular than Word on the iPhone. Guaranteed.

timmodugdale
Apr 2, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'd rather wait for iLife and iWork than Microsoft Office. I can already view .docs on my iphone. I certainly wouldn't want to edit a doc on an iphone and I can't print the silly doc, so I'm not sure what use cases they are working with.

DMann
Apr 2, 2009, 01:01 PM

It is utterly surprising how lethargic Word '08 opens and operates, even on a fast machine. I often save Word files to PDF before reading them, so that I can scroll pages without massive slowdowns due to font optimization, etc. I'll be greatly looking forward to a Cocoa version of Word for both the Mac and iPhone, circa 2021.

I'd rather wait for iLife and iWork than Microsoft Office. I can already view .docs on my iphone. I certainly wouldn't want to edit a doc on an iphone and I can't print the silly doc, so I'm not sure what use cases they are working with.

Quite true - being able to view a document without having to open an application is ideal. Editing a document via a lethargic app such as Word would seem to be quite cumbersome and counter productive.

shneady
Apr 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Now, they can all justify themselves getting iPhones. :p

Billy can finally make his wifey and kids happy now by getting them iPhones too. The moment they've all been waiting for... :D

You know Ballmer wants one too ;)

-S

cswiger1
Apr 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
I dont have an iPhone so I don't know much about it's abilities; but doesn't the 3.0 OS have some sort of support for 3rd party hardware? meaning, couldn't it conceivably print off documents from a blue tooth or wireless printer given the right app?

canucksfan88
Apr 2, 2009, 01:34 PM
reminds me of the good ol days ....development of the Macintosh anyone? :cool:

Eso
Apr 2, 2009, 01:38 PM
I don't see why they couldn't bring a fully functional Pocket Office to the iPhone rather than a simple viewer.

Don't you? Here's one: the sandbox file structure for apps.

You can't edit documents from your email. You can't edit documents from your file sharing apps. You have to sync photos through iTunes, files through your file storage app (or WiFi), and documents through your Pocket Office app. Furthermore, apps usually require an associated desktop sync client to sync to your iPhone while that particular app is running.

You can't attach documents to an email in the mail app. You have to mail photos from the photo app, documents from the Pocket Office app, files from your file sharing app; you can't mail attachments from other emails at all. Instead of Apple having one app (mail) that can attach files from other apps, every individual app must include email support itself.

The only work-around would be to have an all-in-one app, i.e. a Pocket Office app that includes both a mail and file storage app - which is just absurd.

I'll post an example in a bit with some mock-ups

I certainly wouldn't want to edit a doc on an iphone and I can't print the silly doc, so I'm not sure what use cases they are working with.

What is so bad about being able to fix a typo, or edit line spacing, or a date, or a formula, or a...

Have you ever heard of a "networked printer"? It's this wonderful thing where a device connected to a network (hint: through WiFi) can print to any printer on that network. They even have WiFi printers now. Imagine: getting an email with attachment and printing it right from your iPhone instead of going to your desktop, logging into your email, downloading, opening, and printing it.

Of course, while there is no technical reason you can't print from the iPhone, obviously we don't have that capability yet.

kornyboy
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

This would be interesting. I bet it won't make it through Apple though. iWork will be coming soon.

micko2004
Yeah this sounds great and I am sure I will be using it if and when released, but surely they should be looking at working with Apple in getting Entourage to sync to iCal and then onto iPhone correctly first? :mad:

nick9191
Apr 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
Why? Surely Microsoft is just killing its own sales by improving the business side of the iPhone.

cswiger1
Apr 2, 2009, 01:43 PM
Have you ever heard of a "networked printer"? It's this wonderful thing where a device connected to a network (hint: through WiFi) can print to any printer on that network. They even have WiFi printers now. Imagine: getting an email with attachment and printing it right from your iPhone instead of going to your desktop, logging into your email, downloading, opening, and printing it.

Of course, while there is no technical reason you can't print from the iPhone, obviously we don't have that capability yet.

that clarified some stuff.

ok, my unfounded judgement:

MS Office for iPhone? ...meh

iWork? even better

organerito
Apr 2, 2009, 01:45 PM

Microsoft Office is the real deal. Perhaps, it is not the best in mac. There is not better program than Excell, for example. When you are a professional or are writing a doctoral dissertation most of the other suites are just toys. An office suite for the iphone is going to be a lot simpler, but it has to communicate very well with Microsoft Office. Otherwise, it will be useless. I think an office suite is one of the most important apps that is missing to the iphone.

cswiger1
Apr 2, 2009, 01:49 PM
Microsoft Office is the real deal. Perhaps, it is not the best in mac. There is not better program than Excell, for example. When you are a professional or are writing a doctoral dissertation most of the other suites are just toys. An office suite for the iphone is going to be a lot simpler, but it has to communicate very well with Microsoft Office. Otherwise, it will be useless. I think an office suite is one of the most important apps that is missing to the iphone.

haha ...writing a dissertation on a phone?

I see your point about excell though (engineer)

Marx55
Apr 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
Just allow computerless PowerPoint presentations using NATIVE PowerPoint files created on the Mac and that will rock! The iPhone and iPod touch become the ultimate presentation remote. Like this:

Impatica ShowMate
http://www.impatica.com/showmate

1. Make the presentation on the Mac.
2. Move the NATIVE file to the iPhone or iPod touch.
3. Use only the iPhone or iPod touch for full blown PowerPoint presentations (no conversion required) with transitions, animations, etc.

DMann
Apr 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
Why? Surely Microsoft is just killing its own sales by improving the business side of the iPhone.

MS makes $350 million/year through Mactopia. They would benefit greatly from porting Office to the iPhone, especially since they do not yet sport a Zune phone.

organerito
Apr 2, 2009, 01:54 PM
haha ...writing a dissertation on a phone?

I see your point about excell though (engineer)

I never said the dissertation would be written on an iphone. I meant that you will problably need microsoft office if you write a dissertation. The iphone app would be a lot simpler and could help for typos and stuff like that. Of, course you need that real program, but an iphone app can help.:cool:

spuchee
Apr 2, 2009, 01:58 PM
I would like to see Office or iWorks for the phone. I wouldn't use it alot, but it would be convenient for various email attachments that I get at times.

Both Quickoffice and Dataviz will be releasing their respective office suites for the iPhone (perhaps in stages), so this void will be filled soon enough.

Based on Quickoffice's press release below, their office suite (Word and Excel, plus file management) will be available shortly for $20, at least initially. IMHO that's not too bad of a start.

http://www.quickoffice.com/news/quickoffice-press-releases/2009-press-releases/press-release-april-1-2009/

Yes, they just screwed their existing customers by re-badging MobileFiles Pro (made to appear like a general file storage/reading/editing) to Quicksheet (which can only edit Excel files).

I've used Quickoffice's apps before and after their name changes (admittedly quite confusing), and there's been no deletion of features. Quicksheet handles both Excel editing and file management, just like its predecessor.

Their website is helpful in clarifying what each app does. :)

bdkennedy1
Apr 2, 2009, 02:02 PM
God forbid, but the program is such a cow it will probably never happen anyway.

organerito
Apr 2, 2009, 02:05 PM
Both Quickoffice and Dataviz will be releasing their respective office suites for the iPhone, so this void will be filled soon enough.

Based on Quickoffice's press release below, their office suite (Word and Excel, plus file management) will be available shortly for $20, at least initially. IMHO that's not too bad of a start.

http://www.quickoffice.com/news/quickoffice-press-releases/2009-press-releases/press-release-april-1-2009/

I've used Quickoffice's apps before and after their name changes (admittedly quite confusing), and there's been no deletion of features. Quicksheet handles both Excel editing and file management, just like its predecessor. Their website helps to clear up some of the confusion. :)

Thanks for the news! It says it will support doc (office 2003) files. I guess docx (office 2007) will come later.

Anuba
Apr 2, 2009, 02:24 PM
Don't you? Here's one: the sandbox file structure for apps.
All I said was that MS had Office working on a similar sized screen almost 10 years ago. Since the iPhone can run circles around an antiquated iPaq, the resources are there as far as the hardware goes. As for restrictions and limitations for third party developers, I'm sure there's a ton of those but Microsoft has a little more leverage than someone who makes a pull-my-finger app.

JayLenochiniMac
Apr 2, 2009, 02:34 PM
I've used Quickoffice's apps before and after their name changes (admittedly quite confusing), and there's been no deletion of features. Quicksheet handles both Excel editing and file management, just like its predecessor.

Yes, true, there's been no deletion of features. However, rather than retiring MobileFiles Pro to the general public for the time being and giving MobileFiles Pro customers free upgrade to Quickoffice once it debuts, they decided simply to convert it to Quicksheet and force them to shell out additional $$$ if they want the full suite.

BTW
Apr 2, 2009, 02:35 PM

No doubt. That should have been one of the original apps. iPhone 3.0 SDK might have been the hold-up though.

andrew050703
Apr 2, 2009, 02:39 PM
But do two things not quite fit with this rumour?

1. M$ giving Apple their source code

2. M$ giving 30% revenue to Apple

Anyone else?

synth3tik
Apr 2, 2009, 02:47 PM
I couldn't think of anything more horrible then having to sit through a power point on the iPhone...

asphyxiafeeling
Apr 2, 2009, 02:47 PM
no thanks.

what would the price be? at least $40 or something?

somebody should just try and port one of the open source suites.

Aumz
Apr 2, 2009, 02:59 PM
I would happily pay upto £30 for this functionon the iPhone would then complete the iPhone for me and I would not be tempted by any other device.

DavidLeblond
Apr 2, 2009, 03:12 PM
But do two things not quite fit with this rumour?

1. M$ giving Apple their source code

2. M$ giving 30% revenue to Apple

Anyone else?

#1 certainly doesn't fit with this rumor, since it was never said they were doing that. Where did it say that MS was going to give Apple their source code? That doesn't even make sense.

andrew050703
Apr 2, 2009, 03:15 PM
#1 certainly doesn't fit with this rumor, since it was never said they were doing that. Where did it say that MS was going to give Apple their source code? That doesn't even make sense.

Don't developers have to submit their source code so Apple can check for nasties? Thought that was a condition for App Store submission?

DavidLeblond
Apr 2, 2009, 03:18 PM
Don't developers have to submit their source code so Apple can check for nasties? Thought that was a condition for App Store submission?

Nope. I certainly never have.

andrew050703
Apr 2, 2009, 03:19 PM
Nope. I certainly never have.

Oh. don't know where I got that from then

my bad

spuchee
Apr 2, 2009, 03:42 PM
Yes, true, there's been no deletion of features. However, rather than retiring MobileFiles Pro to the general public for the time being and giving MobileFiles Pro customers free upgrade to Quickoffice once it debuts, they decided simply to convert it to Quicksheet and force them to shell out additional $$$ if they want the full suite.

That's certainly understandable. However, when I bought MobileFiles Pro for $10, I didn't expect (nor did the developer imply) that the app will eventually turn into a full office suite for free.

IMHO adding a major new feature such as a Word editor would justify the separate price. But of course, it'd be great if previous customers could get a discount. :)

gceo
Apr 2, 2009, 04:18 PM
Seriously. I run an office full of Macs, and we all switched to http://www.neooffice.com/ years ago. When will people figure out that their software is bloated, slow, expensive, cumbersome, dated, insecure, and troublesome. Did I mention expensive?

I'm not going back to the days of crashing constantly.

Good riddance M$..... for good.

Eso
Apr 2, 2009, 04:45 PM
I'll post an example in a bit with some mock-ups

Suppose I have an upcoming presentation to deliver with my group. I get an email with the latest copy of the powerpoint which I am supposed to review, add my slides to, and email back. I'll assume my slides are done and saved in another file.

1.) I get the email from my group with the powerpoint attached and I open it with Mobile PP.

2.) I always check the first slide as my name is probably spelled wrong (it commonly is).

3.) It is, so I edit the text box and fix the mistake.

4.) I copy/paste my slides into the presentation, then move them into the correct order within the presentation.

5.) Save the file and email the updated version to the rest of the group.

This is a pretty realistic situation, but it will be a long time coming to the iPhone, if ever. Nearly two years in and there's a paltry spreadsheet editor? A word editor is "coming soon"? Powerpoint - not on the horizon? Even if a mobile office app is eventually released, it will be fairly useless as it can't access documents from other file storage apps, can't download documents from a web server, and can't edit documents received via email.

Stately
Apr 2, 2009, 04:52 PM
Wow, I can't believe that there are actually negatives for this. Why be a nay sayer to everything? I for one am ecstatic that office is finally coming to the i phone. I guess people will find anything to complain about. These are steps that are being taken, to make our lives more complete. How can you be upset at that? Keep moving Apple. Can't wait for more UMPC's. :cool:

EagerDragon
Apr 2, 2009, 04:54 PM
MS Office is so bloated that they will need to do MAJOR surgery to fit it in an iPhone.

Me, I would not buy it even if slim as I do not want to write office documents and power point presentations using a screen as small as the one on the iPhone.

Maybe on a tablet, but not on an iPhone, at least not for me.

motulist
Apr 2, 2009, 05:38 PM
MS Office is so bloated that they will need to do MAJOR surgery to fit it in an iPhone.

I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a brand new code base, not a port of the existing desktop Office code. In other words, they're probably going to write a whole new program that has the same look as MS Office, is fully compatible with all MS Office formated documents, and has many (but not nearly all) of the same features.

TRAG
Apr 2, 2009, 05:38 PM
Why would Apple let MS Office come to the iPhone when Pages isn't even on it yet?

Anuba
Apr 2, 2009, 06:01 PM
Why would Apple let MS Office come to the iPhone when Pages isn't even on it yet?
Because Apple really really really really really wants to sell the iPhone to enterprises and it hasn't done as well there as they hoped it would. On apple.com, "iPhone in Enterprise" is the #2 sales pitch right after 3G capability, and they make a big deal out of the Exchange compatibility. So no matter how much they're ridiculing Microsoft in ads, Apple would still bend over backwards to have Office on the iPhone in some way or other, and probably loosen a few restrictions too.

Working with Excel sheets on a handheld PC was actually very handy and nowhere near as fiddly as you would imagine. It could be good on the iPhone too.

Not sure why everyone's trying to make it out to be all about PowerPoint. Who the hell cares about PowerPoint, it's the one Office application I haven't used one single time since Office was first introduced.

chameleon81
Apr 2, 2009, 06:08 PM

Can you given an example please?

wrldwzrd89
Apr 2, 2009, 06:26 PM
Can you given an example please?
I would, but I haven't used Office:Mac since the Office X days... and any example I gave wouldn't be relevant anymore.

sschwar4
Apr 2, 2009, 06:29 PM
Hopefully it won't come from the Mac BU!

There is still a big gap between Office for Mac and PC, for instance missing macros.

JayLenochiniMac
Apr 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
That's certainly understandable. However, when I bought MobileFiles Pro for $10, I didn't expect (nor did the developer imply) that the app will eventually turn into a full office suite for free.

IMHO adding a major new feature such as a Word editor would justify the separate price. But of course, it'd be great if previous customers could get a discount. :)

At the time I bought MobileFiles Pro, the website said they were working on adding Word editing support so given that MobileFiles Pro was the top of the line app they had, I naturally assumed they would update it when it became available. Of course I didn't know they were going to release a step up version of their "Pro" app or I would have bought MobileFiles 2.0 for much cheaper. The MobileFiles Pro name implies nothing about being a dedicated spreadsheet app in addition to other features.

There's no way for them to give discounts nor offer a special upgrade price for MobileFiles Pro users, as all apps must be bought through the App store, so IMO the reasonable thing for them to do is offer Quicksheet separately from MobileFiles Pro (and discontinue it for new users) and offer an automatic upgrade to Quickoffice to their existing MobileFiles Pro users once it becomes available.

kas23
Apr 2, 2009, 07:33 PM
I couldn't think of anything more horrible then having to sit through a power point on the iPhone...

However, there's that 3rd party projector device out there that plugs into the bottom and serves as an ultra portable projector. So, basically, you could carry around the projector and your iPhone (which has PP on it) all in your pocket. That would be awesome.

kas23
Apr 2, 2009, 07:38 PM
Suppose I have an upcoming presentation to deliver with my group. I get an email with the latest copy of the powerpoint which I am supposed to review, add my slides to, and email back. I'll assume my slides are done and saved in another file.

1.) I get the email from my group with the powerpoint attached and I open it with Mobile PP.

2.) I always check the first slide as my name is probably spelled wrong (it commonly is).

3.) It is, so I edit the text box and fix the mistake.

4.) I copy/paste my slides into the presentation, then move them into the correct order within the presentation.

5.) Save the file and email the updated version to the rest of the group.

This is a pretty realistic situation, but it will be a long time coming to the iPhone, if ever. Nearly two years in and there's a paltry spreadsheet editor? A word editor is "coming soon"? Powerpoint - not on the horizon? Even if a mobile office app is eventually released, it will be fairly useless as it can't access documents from other file storage apps, can't download documents from a web server, and can't edit documents received via email.

This is an awesome mock up!

I understand what you are saying about a potential mobile office app not being able to access documents from other file storage apps. I think this is now (since 3.0) the biggest drawback of the iPhone. The iPhone needs a common document/file area that all apps can access (like the Photos app).

sushi
Apr 2, 2009, 08:04 PM
MS Office on the iPhone/touch. Sweet! :)

This is an awesome mock up!
Realistic scenario.

I would like to be able to use my iPhone/touch to show a PowerPoint presentation via the dock connector. Currently I can do it if I export my PowerPoint presentation to slides. I would much rather be able to have a full featured PowerPoint viewer, and editor.

The iPhone needs a common document/file area that all apps can access (like the Photos app).
I think we will see this in the not too distant future.

DELLsFan
Apr 2, 2009, 09:40 PM
No thanks! The iPhone is great for casual productivity (like checking and composing email or maybe occasionally reviewing documents or sheets already created).

The hardcore office work is better left to the laptop or desktop systems, IMO. Lest we forget, it's a smart PHONE, folks. :eek:

MacFly123
Apr 2, 2009, 10:17 PM

AMEN! They need to get it done before Office comes for sure.

Maybe Apple could do some sort of digital copy or discount, like when you buy iWork it comes with the iPhone version, or you get a discount on the iPhone version. They could do the same thing with some of the iLife apps :D

I understand what you are saying about a potential mobile office app not being able to access documents from other file storage apps. I think this is now (since 3.0) the biggest drawback of the iPhone. The iPhone needs a common document/file area that all apps can access (like the Photos app).

I agree. I think now after 3.0 the biggest things that Apple needs to tackle in 4.0 will be basically making the iPhone more desktop like, AKA, file system and access, new UI for home screens and app organization etc. I really think that those are the kinds of things we will see next on the checklist when 4.0 comes probably next year around this time.

TuffLuffJimmy
Apr 2, 2009, 10:19 PM
They just need to make a file system. That would be killer! Then it would be easy to make an office suite. We need iWork mobile and Office mobile already! How can this be considered a business phone without any office suite???

JayLenochiniMac
Apr 2, 2009, 11:38 PM
People arguing that hardcore office work is better left to the laptop/desktop are missing the point. It's for minor and quick editing on the go. No more "oh geez I don't have my laptop with me."

mdntcallr
Apr 3, 2009, 12:38 AM
i guess this is mildly interesting, but i gotta say it isn't a high priority for me to edit docs on my phone, that is what i have a desktop and laptop for.

but.. who knows what could come in the future. i just dont relish the idea of doing it on a non-physical keyboard or on such a tiny screen. but who knows sometimes when you are on a deadline and without any other options... it would be a last resort.

TuffLuffJimmy
Apr 3, 2009, 12:56 AM
i guess this is mildly interesting, but i gotta say it isn't a high priority for me to edit docs on my phone, that is what i have a desktop and laptop for.

but.. who knows what could come in the future. i just dont relish the idea of doing it on a non-physical keyboard or on such a tiny screen. but who knows sometimes when you are on a deadline and without any other options... it would be a last resort.

It's really for minor correction or reviewing when you don't have access to your laptop.

Pikemann Urge
Apr 3, 2009, 12:57 AM
I'm hoping Apple will come out with a simplified version of Pages and Numbers for the iPhone which are better applications anyway.

As a side note to those discussing cost—if Google would just get GoogleDocs working on the iPhone, we'd be good.
QFT.

However, the real issue is not whether MS Office is on the iPhone or not per se. That's a red herring and nobody has to buy it. The real issue is, just like the sad world of computers, MS file standards will be assumed or expected.

Sorry, no deal. PDF, RTF, XML, yeah, sure, that's cool. But getting people sucked in to proprietary file formats? AGAIN? It's hard enough shaking off the PowerPoint/Word flu that's been with us for two decades.

What's worse than Office on the iPhone? Flash on the iPhone (low likelihood of that happening though). Keep that in perspective.

DMann
Apr 3, 2009, 02:02 AM
It's really for minor correction or reviewing when you don't have access to your laptop.

It will be called QuickOffice, and the whole suite will cost approx. $20 at the App Store. I'll likely wait for rev h before purchasing.

hugociss
Apr 3, 2009, 03:43 AM
if microsoft is going to make office for iphone and ipod touch. Apple, you really need to get iWork on the iphone. Maybe some basic slide show options and some cool ways to type on iPhone/iPod Touch Pages.

oh wait.... maybe Apple has already developed it, they are just waiting to include it in the iPhone 3.0 OS... We will find out sooner or later!

and by the way, how about iMovie for iPhone? 3.0 OS comes with video capture.... suspicious? Yes, I really want to be surprised by 3.0... Come on Apple! im sure u can do it!

organerito
Apr 3, 2009, 05:49 AM
Microsoft office for desktop is the standard. Live with that. Unless someone makes a better application than excel or word, that's is never going to change.

Just because some people don't need to write anything, it doesn't mean that other people don't need either an office suite for iphone. I don't care if the suite comes from Microsoft, Apple or Quickoffice, but it has to accept microsoft office formats. Otherwise, it is useless.

michael.lauden
Apr 3, 2009, 10:27 AM
i can't see myself purchasing office for an iPhone... the only thing i see is presentation capabilities.

benjamoon
Apr 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't want office on the iphone for the following reasons.

1. I bet it will be freaking expensive!
2. I'm certain that editing a spread sheet or a PowerPoint presentation on an iphone would just be SOOO easy...
3. How would one integrate toolbars on the iphone with reasonable sized buttons?

I only see use in editing with a word processor and couldn't apple just adjust Notes so you have the same text customization options as a word processor.

BohoTrash
Apr 3, 2009, 05:15 PM
Oh I think this would be sweet, the icing on the cake for me, so to speak. I think the iPhone is a pretty sound piece of kit anyway and only set to get better this summer. The only thing I've been yearning for is some kind of basic text editor or simplified word-processing app that is compatible with Word. At the moment I use an app called File Aid to transfer documents from my Mac to Phone via USB but this is for read/storage purposes only. It would be cool to be able to make minor edits to my work on the move and sync it with Word on the Mac afterwards.

BohoTrash
Apr 3, 2009, 05:26 PM
I only see use in editing with a word processor and couldn't apple just adjust Notes so you have the same text customization options as a word processor.

Yay, just good old Text Edit would do for me for minor on-the-fly editing.

sesante2000
Apr 4, 2009, 11:42 AM
It will be the App Stores only $399 dollar app. :p

sohelpme
Apr 7, 2009, 02:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/02/microsoft-still-hoping-to-bring-office-to-iphone/)

TechCrunch reports (http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/04/01/is-office-finally-coming-to-the-iphone/) on comments made by Stephen Elop, President of Microsoft's Business Division, at the Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco that suggest that Microsoft is still exploring ways to bring its Office suite of applications to the iPhone.Fortune reported a year ago that Microsoft's Mac Business Unit was exploring its options (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/25/microsoft-bu-and-tellme-exploring-iphone-sdk-options/) for iPhone applications, and it appears that something may still be in the works.

Article Link: Microsoft Still Hoping to Bring Office to iPhone? (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/04/02/microsoft-still-hoping-to-bring-office-to-iphone/)

This seems more like a standard MS F.U.D. press release. Freeze the market with a wishy-washy "we're going to do something, just you wait and see, it'll be great" in an effort to hold back others from creating good word and excel document editors. They want Enterprise buyers to hold off buying iPhones for their employee's, waiting to see what Microsoft might decide to release, but in the meantime, look at this great WinMobile device, with MS Word and Excel. And it's kind of got a touch interface, if you squint real hard.

Lancelot9201
Apr 8, 2009, 11:52 PM
If anyone finds this bloat ware of a product on my iphone please send me to the nearest rehab center as I"m on crack & don't know what I'm doing.
I'm waiting for open office to come to the iphone no matter how long it takes.

Lancelot9201
Apr 9, 2009, 12:01 AM
Microsoft office for desktop is the standard. Live with that. Unless someone makes a better application than excel or word, that's is never going to change.

Just because some people don't need to write anything, it doesn't mean that other people don't need either an office suite for iphone. I don't care if the suite comes from Microsoft, Apple or Quickoffice, but it has to accept microsoft office formats. Otherwise, it is useless.

I have "Open Office"( which is free) on every one of my personal & office pc's / notebooks & haven't found any reason to waste my money on MS Office. If I did, it sure wouldn't be their recent office 2007 & 2008 as they're the only products that's worse than Vista.. I'd never use anything newer than Office 2003 as it's the only MS office product that does what it should without all the bugs & bloat.

iDuckApc
Apr 10, 2009, 05:13 PM
In my view Office:iPhone (:D nice pun on Office:Mac) should be distrubuted the same way as Office Mobile is freely, MS only need to update their apps to add a download iPhone app option as they currently allows Windows Mobile (:confused:) to get it for free via there apps, after viewing the Quickoffice website I am hapy to just use that as there screenshot proves iWork support (and that they also like Coldplay). After watching the 3.0 keynote presentation from Apple it seems they have already hinted iWork for iPhone by setting up Note sync, maybe they're preparing for iWork Mobile. Office:Phone could sync up to Office Live Workspaces to get their docs xls ppts ect. meanwhile iWork Mobile could sync up to, you uessed it, iWork.com and iDisk, then again Office:Mac doesn't have Office Live Workspaces... yet (hint hint microslow). Apple also seem to be testing new homescreen ideas with their spotlight screen maybe they want and iWork app that had its own homescreen with Office/iWork apps on it (ambisious me there (bad spelling me there)) All in all an Office:iPhone app would be great as a basic edit tool, if not $20 (im a brit so i dont like using the dollar sign but seeing as they have no current GBP £ (:D) price yet i'll stick with the U$D). Oh, how about an OpenOffice app please.

iDuckApc
Apr 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
In my view Office:iPhone (:D nice pun on Office:Mac) should be distrubuted the same way as Office Mobile is freely, MS only need to update their apps to add a download iPhone app option as they currently allows Windows Mobile (:confused:) to get it for free via there apps, after viewing the Quickoffice website I am hapy to just use that as there screenshot proves iWork support (and that they also like Coldplay). After watching the 3.0 keynote presentation from Apple it seems they have already hinted iWork for iPhone by setting up Note sync, maybe they're preparing for iWork Mobile. Office:Phone could sync up to Office Live Workspaces to get their docs xls ppts ect. meanwhile iWork Mobile could sync up to, you uessed it, iWork.com and iDisk, then again Office:Mac doesn't have Office Live Workspaces... yet (hint hint microslow). Apple also seem to be testing new homescreen ideas with their spotlight screen maybe they want and iWork app that had its own homescreen with Office/iWork apps on it (ambisious me there (bad spelling me there)) All in all an Office:iPhone app would be great as a basic edit tool, if not $20 (im a brit so i dont like using the dollar sign but seeing as they have no current GBP £ (:D) price yet i'll stick with the U$D). Oh, how about an OpenOffice app please.
I tend to wirte essays on the shortest of things:rolleyes:

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 09:55 PM
we dont need microsoft tainting apple stay away microsoft