Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I am debating on getting either a refurbished Macbook aluminum 2.4GHz or a brand new Macbook aluminum 2.0. I would really like to have the illuminated keyboard (not a necessity, but I think it would be practical and if during the next refresh they add the illuminated keyboard to the 2.0 and I have the one without it, I'd regret not getting the 2.4). The thing is, if I'm buying a notebook that costs this much, I want it to be perfect (no cosmetic defects like scratches, misaligned keys...). Basically, I really want the 2.4, but I'd rather buy the 2.0 if the 2.4 refurbished will have cosmetic flaws. I guess my question is, are refurbished Apple Macbooks basically new? Do they replace the keyboard, trackpad and body if there are any signs of use? What do you guys think I should get? I live in Canada, so the difference in price between the two is about $200CAN (about $160US).

:apple::D

coronel mustard

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2008
Standish, England
I would go for the refurb- chances are the laptop will be up to your standards. All refurbs have gone through tests etc to ensure that they work/look as a brand new laptop. Most refurbs actual have nothing wrong with them to begin with- if a customer returns a macbook to a store, apple can no longer sell this on as a brand new macbook even though there is nothing wrong with it. As a result the macbook gets placed in the refurb store.

I don't think apple will add the illuminated keyboard to the 2.0- they use that as hook to get people to upgrade to the 2.4

hamchapman

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I am currently typing this on my refurbished Aluminium 2.4 MacBook.

I was in exactly the same position as you just 3 weeks ago and decided that I would take the gamble that the refurb unit would be in near perfect or preferably perfect cosmetic condition. Turns out it's definitely perfect. No problems whatsoever and absolutely no marks or dents or scratches on it.

I couldn't be happier and you will LOVE the backlit keyboard, it's truly amazing!

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I am currently typing this on my refurbished Aluminium 2.4 MacBook.

I was in exactly the same position as you just 3 weeks ago and decided that I would take the gamble that the refurb unit would be in near perfect or preferably perfect cosmetic condition. Turns out it's definitely perfect. No problems whatsoever and absolutely no marks or dents or scratches on it.

I couldn't be happier and you will LOVE the backlit keyboard, it's truly amazing!

Thanks man! Just what I wanted to hear. I think I'll go for the refurbished. :)

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Anybody else have experience with the Apple refurbished Macbooks?

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
I'll be able to tell you in about an hour after I leave the office, I just got confirmation my was delivered today! :) BTW I upgraded my shipping on mine for 2 Day Delivery for $13, it was well worth it, considering I ordered it on Tuesday.

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I'll be able to tell you in about an hour after I leave the office, I just got confirmation my was delivered today! :) BTW I upgraded my shipping on mine for 2 Day Delivery for $13, it was well worth it, considering I ordered it on Tuesday.

Cool, yes please post after you open it. I'll be waiting! :D

TheScavenger

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2007
Kansas City, MO
I bought a refurbed Mac Mini from Apple a couple years ago. That thing was in perfect shape. All of the refurb systems have the same 1 year warranty that the new units have.

TylerDurden130

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Sorry it took me so long, I have been busy with my new Mac! I have to say I'm super impressed, if they would have put it in an original box, I wouldn't have guessed it was refurbished. It comes packed tightly and protected, with the documentation and cables, that appear to be new. I paid for the upgraded shipping, $13, ordered it on Tuesday and received it on Thrus. No issues or cosmetic damage. PLUS I saw today that the same computer is now $1299, $100 cheaper then I paid for it, I'm going to call customer care to see if they will give me store credit or anything.

I would say try the refurbished, from what I have heard and now experienced I would say its perfect.

Ruenzuo

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
Oh god, Im on the same situation, between a Macbook White and Refur Macbook Unibody. I also like my new Macbook in PERFECT CONDITION, every single angle, perfect. I also saw a lot, I mean every single video of Macbook Refurbished Unboxing... they're pretty sweet I must say, but I notice that the Refurbish one take a lot more to firstboot than a Brand New Macbook.

Anyone can prove me wrong?

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I just bought a 2.0GHz refurbished MacBook from Apple and I was almost convinced it was brand new. (except it doesn't come in the fancy box)

Ruenzuo

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2009
I just bought a 2.0GHz refurbished MacBook from Apple and I was almost convinced it was brand new. (except it doesn't come in the fancy box)

How about boot time and Software included? Plz answer dude, you could get a new client to apple and make Jobs a little more Billionari than he is now.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
Apple Certified Refurbished Products

this thread has got me thinking about purchasing a refurbished 2.4 unibody also. it's $300 off at the canadian online apple store, and only $50 more than buying a 2.0 unibody brand new. i think that the illuminated keyboard, larger HD and faster processor is defiantly worth an extra $50.

i had planned to wait for the immanent quiet speed bump to the macbooks that should be happening any week now, but since there is going to be no real change other than a speed bump, it might be more wise to grab this deal instead.

i guess i'm just concerned now if they would consider a few dead pixels on a panel eligible for refurbishment, also that the current model is Rev A while things like the loose battery cover might be fixed for Rev B that's coming out soon, and wondering if customers are also given the 15 day return policy on refurbished products as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.