PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Woes

carbonmotion
Apr 17, 2004, 12:45 AM
My 15" Alu Book is being weird... on some very rare occasions, when i close the laptop, it wouldn't go in to sleep mode for about 15-25 seconds... the harddrive would tick for a while before the sleep light comes on. Is this normal?

MacRAND
Apr 17, 2004, 03:27 AM
My 15" Alu Book is being weird... on some very rare occasions, when i close the laptop, it wouldn't go in to sleep mode for about 15-25 seconds... the harddrive would tick for a while before the sleep light comes on. Is this normal?You should be within warranty, call AppleCare and ask. If there's a handy Apple Store, visit the Genius Bar.

The real danger is moving a laptop while the drive is spinning (gyroscope reaction) which could harm the drive.
Doesn't really sound that strange. Have you had a PoweBook or iBook before?

question fear
Apr 17, 2004, 12:55 PM
my ibook does this...i havent seen any negative side effects, although i do notice if i close it right after several activities (ichatting, safari, mail check) it takes an extra second or two.

carbonmotion
Apr 17, 2004, 01:05 PM
my ibook does this...i havent seen any negative side effects, although i do notice if i close it right after several activities (ichatting, safari, mail check) it takes an extra second or two.yeah thats exactly it, like if i close it in the middle of a dvd movie or after ive done alot of Quake 3 map testing ... it takes a few extra moments then the usual instanteous sheeebang

question fear
Apr 17, 2004, 10:46 PM
safety in numbers, right?

question fear
Apr 19, 2004, 10:05 PM
fyi i installed the last software update and did a restart for the first time in 2-3 months and my ibook is MUCH faster and sleeping instantaneously, so maybe something running in the background is slowing you down?