Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I know a lot of people on this MBP forum were asking about the adapter and whether it was reliable to buy from monoprice. I just got the adapter in today since ordering when it was first available. Shipping was fast with email notification.

Quick review: Cable feels solid, no filmsy-ness to it. Does NOT carry audio (monoprice says that's due to apple's wiring). It's a cheaper alternative to buying minidisplayport -> dvi AND dvi -> HDMI. Cable came out to 16 dollars after tax/shipping.

Package
img0115g.jpg

HDMI side of the cable
img0116sup.jpg

Another view
img0117w.jpg

Cable in Action (don't mind the clutter)
img0118ojb.jpg

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Thanks

Thanks for the update and pictures. I am also needing to get the adapter. I've been using MDP-DVI-HDMI. It seems to work just fine.

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
Cool!!

How is the picture quality on your Tv screen ?? is it crystal clear like on the MBP screen???

I have one, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I cant get the top menu bar to display, and only half of my dock. Irrespective of the resolution that I choose, and whichever TV I run it on...

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
is there a reason why apple cannot make a docking station like the rest of the world does? look at all those connections! :eek:

brrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
is there a reason why apple cannot make a docking station like the rest of the world does? look at all those connections! :eek:

haha! i have hell stuff:
printer, ipod dock, hard drive, eyetv, usb mouse, and a led lamp night light.

QUALITY IS CRYSTAL CLEAR. Just like apple's connector. no difference i can see.

brrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I have one, and I hooked it up to my TV, and I cant get the top menu bar to display, and only half of my dock. Irrespective of the resolution that I choose, and whichever TV I run it on...

you need to set the tv as the primary monitor, i believe.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Depending on the make or model you may need to adjust the TV modes to Dot by Dot (on my Sharp) or some other similar mode.

Also, some TVs require you set the TV output on the option tab of the display preference on your Mac to Overscan.

Cheers,

isaki87

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2008
Santa Monica, CA
Depending on the make or model you may need to adjust the TV modes to Dot by Dot (on my Sharp) or some other similar mode.

Also, some TVs require you set the TV output on the option tab of the display preference on your Mac to Overscan.

Cheers,
Thanks for the info guys, I don't know how I missed something as simple as that.

Nonetheless, this wire is awesome and it works just as good, if not better than the MDP dongles/connectors produced by Apple, at a fraction of the cost.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Me I just bought the DVI to HDMI and used the mini displayport to DVI adapter.

But this adapter looks nice!

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Why is there no sound?

Does anyone know whether the issue of no sound is a software one which Apple can update with a software or firmware release, or is it a hardware limitation of the current models of computers?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Does anyone know whether the issue of no sound is a software one which Apple can update with a software or firmware release, or is it a hardware limitation of the current models of computers?

I'm pretty sure Apple just doesn't pass the audio since they don't support HDMI or Blu-ray or anything else remotely modern. :mad:

Cheers,

yaroldb

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
I just ordered one from them. Let's hope its here next week. I can't wait to play with it.
:D

brrone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009

it's apple hardware. on their 24" led cinema display, audio is passed through usb. Even the display port (direct connection) doesn't put audio into the monitor.
s

Tsurisuto

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
it's apple hardware. on their 24" led cinema display, audio is passed through usb. Even the display port (direct connection) doesn't put audio into the monitor.
s

Thanks for the info. I thought the whole idea of Display Port was that it would be a successor to HDMI. I know Display Port connector supports Video AND Audio, so I wonder why Apple have chosen to cripple it on the Mac?

mumstead

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
I got mine yesterday. It works great. I also picked up a white HDMI cable from Monoprice for an extra $3.56. It looks and works great with the adapter. Just for the heck of it I also got a white CAT6 cable. I think it was $1.49. Now all my cables match when my MBP is wired up. Silly I know but it makes me happy.

AndrewLang

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks for the info. I thought the whole idea of Display Port was that it would be a successor to HDMI. I know Display Port connector supports Video AND Audio, so I wonder why Apple have chosen to cripple it on the Mac?

Actually the standard Displayport connection does support sound. I suspect that the reason that Apple decided to create their own connector for the displaypor technology was because Molex is charging 250k to tool the Displayport connector. Apple probably said to hell with Molex, we'll build our own connector and license it for free. Props to Apple for that, unfortunately it means that a whole new line of adapters needs to be created to support the new Apple products.

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland

because the MDP has no audio abilities so it's no sound forever

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
are you ****ing kidding me? I waited months and months for this. 3 weeks ago i got minidisplayport to dvi and dvi to hdmi. ****ing apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.