Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laptopleftovers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I have two Aluminum Powerbook G4's, both in the same generation. One functions normally (G4 A); the other doesn't (G4 B). G4 B was purchased in "good working condition" on eBay, only needing an external monitor for use. The seller informed me that he wiped the HDD before sending it. Fine. No Biggy. However, after attempting to install my discs on G4 B (Powerbook G4 install discs) I couldn't navigate the installation because nothing appeared on the screen or external monitor.

However, when I linked both of them via Firewire, G4 B (the nonfunctional Powerbook) was able to operate G4 A (the ever-functioning Powerbook), which was linked to my external monitor.

My questions are: Does that Firewire test tell me that G4 B's Logic board is working okay? Also, if there is no OS on a Powerbook, does that prevent absolutely anything from displaying on the monitor (question mark, little globe, or warning symbol)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.