Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S-Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
So from what I understand, the MBP has a "Mini-Jack" with optical audio out. (Fiber-Optic I presume?)
I even saw a red light in the hole today when I unplugged my headphones.

I'm wanting to hook up a 5.1 sound system to it. What cable(s) do I need to do so?
I looked on apples website and found nothing. I also searched MRoogle but to no avail.

Options?

Thanks!

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
What you need is a mini toslink (mbp) to toslink (reciever, like logitech z-5500)

Here it is from Monoprice :
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902&p_id=1557&seq=1&format=2#description

I ordered one about three years ago from them as well as a variety of other cables and the quality/price is unbeatable. If you browse around the site there are a variety of lengths available.

15571.jpg

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Unfortunately if 5.1 is your goal you won't be able to run this from your macbook pro out of the box.

This would be the back of the subwoofer for the product you ordered :

altec_05l.JPG

On the left side are the three analog inputs, which would be fine if you had a 5.1 channel card, but because the mbp only supports analog stereo, and this system doesn't have optical inputs, you'll only be able to utilize these for stereo.

Your other option, while I would suggest springing for a higher end surround system, would be to get something like the Creative X-Fi usb card, which will give you the necissary outputs. I don't know if it works on OS X , however.

S-Man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2009
Houston
Thanks for all your help eddy,
Looks like I'll either make due with this POS thing I ordered, or send it back and get one with an optical input...I'll see.
I really appreciate the help though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.