PDA

View Full Version : 66mhz or 33mhz?

blue&whiteman
Apr 17, 2004, 11:16 AM
I went to my local mac dealer today and bought a sonnet ata 133 pci card.

I would love some feedback on whether I should put in in a 33mhz slot (all 3 of my 33mhz slots are free so whatever goes there will not be sharing the single 33mhz bus that all 3 slots use) or swap out my video and put the ata card in the 66mhz slot?

so the question in simpler terms is will I get better performance with 33mhz video 66mhz ata card or the other way around?

I want to be sure I choose the right combo.

Rincewind42
Apr 17, 2004, 12:00 PM
I went to my local mac dealer today and bought a sonnet ata 133 pci card.

I would love some feedback on whether I should put in in a 33mhz slot (all 3 of my 33mhz slots are free so whatever goes there will not be sharing the single 33mhz bus that all 3 slots use) or swap out my video and put the ata card in the 66mhz slot?

so the question in simpler terms is will I get better performance with 33mhz video 66mhz ata card or the other way around?

I want to be sure I choose the right combo.

Well, most hard drives (even those that do support ATA-133) can't actually achieve that transfer rate without being in a RAID setup. So unless you are going to do that you definitely shouldn't bother to swap with your video card. Beyond that, the theoretical limit on PCI-33 is 133MB/s (32-bits by 33Mhz) so it is a least a match for the bandwidth on ATA-133. You might get better performance on PCI-66, but I doubt that it will be worth the reduction in quality of your video setup.

blue&whiteman
Apr 17, 2004, 01:28 PM
Well, most hard drives (even those that do support ATA-133) can't actually achieve that transfer rate without being in a RAID setup. So unless you are going to do that you definitely shouldn't bother to swap with your video card. Beyond that, the theoretical limit on PCI-33 is 133MB/s (32-bits by 33Mhz) so it is a least a match for the bandwidth on ATA-133. You might get better performance on PCI-66, but I doubt that it will be worth the reduction in quality of your video setup.

thanks for the info. my 33mhz slots are 64 bit, not 32.

blue&whites have 1 66mhz 32 bit slot for graphics and 3 33mhz 64 bit slots.

I will keep the video card where it is then. the quartz extreme pci hack I use would really choke up in a 33mhz slot I think. runs quite well in the 66mhz slot.