Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
hi guys...

i just bought a 250gig western digital HD from circuit city last night... i havent opened it yet... but im reading that maybe my quicksilver 2002 933mhz powermac may not support the drive size??? what will happen if i try to install it... i want the drive... i got a good deal on it and im sure that it will one day reside in a g5...

any help or advice is appreciated... thanks

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Well one thing i know is that G5 only has SATA drives, so i guess you may have to use a PATA-SATA converter?

And the 250gig size issue? I know XP requires "48-bit LBA" to detect > 137gb. I think OSX has a diff limit tho.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Mav451 said:
Well one thing i know is that G5 only has SATA drives, so i guess you may have to use a PATA-SATA converter?

And the 250gig size issue? I know XP requires "48-bit LBA" to detect > 137gb. I think OSX has a diff limit tho.

unless he has the PATA version. You don't need a G5 unless you have SATA drives. The quicksilver though will not support anything over 137GB. So either put in 120GB internal and get a huge external drive or buy a ata-100-133 card, sonnet and acard sell them and then you can slap in a 400GB drive or any size that you want.

Tyler

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
well i thought i was doomed... i searched threads and the net and everything pointed to getting an ATA133 pci card... but then i thought about getting a firewire enclosure... it would be a little cheaper... but then i thought about my maxtor firewire HD...

so i took apart my firewire HD and swapped the 60gig that was in there for the 250gig...

but it wouldnt power the drive for some reason and wouldnt show up on my desktop... damn...

so instead of fussing around with that i figured... why not just slap it in the quicksilver and see what happens... so i did and... i get an error that ive started up mac os with a disk that mac os cant recognize... blah blah blah... so i change some jumpers... same thing...

so i pull up disk utility... and the drive is there... well... 232.76 of it at least... which i guess is what 250 actually is... i do an erase and set it up with journaling... omitting the useless os9 drivers... rename the bad boy "mass storage" and viola!!!

ive just transfered 42.76gigs of music to it which im listening to right now...

i guess the moral of the story is... dont buy stuff you dont need til you try to just get it to work!!!

woohoo!!! :D

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
i'm pretty sure that the drive wil work with the motherbaord controller but it will only be able to use like 137 GB of it unless you get a PCI ATA controlle. So did it allow you to use the whole thing instead of a fraction of it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.