Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
I have a Wi-Fi network set up in my home. Several of my neighbors have some as well. I know this because either they've told me or I could detect it. My question is...if someone is downloading using my network....would I be held accountable? I know there are lots of kids who download the music onto their iPods, and I dont want to have to pay for that. Should I look into getting a wired network instead of a wireless one? I heard wireless networks are not secure at all

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
just set a wep password

set a wep password
so people have to authenticate
and yep, if it's your connection, it's your problem.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Heart Break Kid said:
I have a Wi-Fi network set up in my home. Several of my neighbors have some as well. I know this because either they've told me or I could detect it. My question is...if someone is downloading using my network....would I be held accountable? I know there are lots of kids who download the music onto their iPods, and I dont want to have to pay for that. Should I look into getting a wired network instead of a wireless one? I heard wireless networks are not secure at all

I'm not a lawyer, but of course I'm going to give my opinion anyway. :D

If you've taken a reasonable amount of precaution to secure your wireless network from misuse by others, then I don't see how you could be held accountable. But if you haven't done anything... then who knows.

There've been a number of threads about securing your WiFi network. Nothing is 100% secure, but you can at least:

1) Turn off SSID (access point name) broadcast.
2) Change the SSID to something other than the default.
3) Use some level of WEP or, preferably, use WPA. (WEP can be broken, but it'll keep casual freeloaders off.)
4) If your access point will support it, turn on MAC (network card hardware address) filtering.
5) Turn down the broadcast power of your access point to the lowest level that'll still give you a reasonable signal everywhere.

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
But I'm not exactly sure on how to do some of the things mentioned. I'm not the youngest guy around. Should I just hire someone to set this up for me?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Heart Break Kid said:
But I'm not exactly sure on how to do some of the things mentioned. I'm not the youngest guy around. Should I just hire someone to set this up for me?

What access point are you using? I am sure someone here could show you the way.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Heart Break Kid said:
... I'm not the youngest guy around. ...

Well I'm not exactly old, but I'm gonna be 44 in August. :p So you don't really need to be a kid.

Like kingjr3 said - let us know which access point you've got. Someone on the forum likely has the exact same model. Also, let us know the operating systems (all of them) on the computers that'll be using the wireless access (wired doesn't really matter).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.