PDA

View Full Version : G5 not booting, long dull beep at startup

veralynn
Apr 3, 2009, 08:31 PM
My power mac G5 does not boot fully. I took it to the apple store the genius bar guy tested my ram so I know it's not the ram. The hard drive is still intact.
He told me it might be the logic board and it was about a $1500 fix. He was never able to boot it up.
It's about 5 years old. I brought it home and it sat for a couple of weeks. I plugged it in and thought I'd give it one last try. I tried a few times with no luck. I zapped the pram and then rebooted and it started up! I was able to back up most of the stuff I wanted. It locked up and now I can't get it to start up again. Now it starts, I hear a long (1full second) dull beep and it goes no further. The fan also periodically starts spinning so fast it sounds like it's gonna take off.
Does this sound like it can be fixed? Is there anything I can do? I won't invest that kind of money on a 30-90 day warranty PLEASE HELP!!!!Or, do I need to go get a new system?

CaptainChunk
Apr 4, 2009, 09:12 AM
Well, the first thing I would do is run the Apple Hardware Test (it's usually on one of the OS X install disc that came with the machine) or if you bought AppleCare, run the Techtool Deluxe disc that came in its box.

If there is indeed something wrong with the logic board, there are other resources aside from Apple, like www.welovemacs.com. Depending on the model of your G5, a new board usually ranges from $600-800.

California
Apr 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
I have found that there are software gliches on the PM G5s as well as faulty hard drives tend to trick the system. Try using the OEM system disc for start up and then check it out.

Lucibelle
Apr 4, 2009, 04:59 PM
According to this (http://www.welovemacs.com/whdoallthbme.html), one beep means it is not detecting the RAM. That doesn't necessarily mean that the RAM is bad. Did you put more RAM in recently? The reason I ask is because I just read recently how some of the PPCs can support more than one type of RAM, but NOT at the same time. They must all be the same.

Have you tried replacing the lithium battery and resetting the PMU?