Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
GM executive began quest for job as 11-year-old hot rod aficionado

By Royal Ford, Globe Staff *|* April 17, 2004

His were the lead-penciled machine dreams of so many boys of the 1950s, usually drawn when the teacher wasn't looking.

Hot rods with open fenders and snarling scoops, big wheels, outrageous tires affixed to tortuous trucks, sensuous sports cars, lines limned from magazines featuring exotic European machinery.

"I drew hot rods; I drew sports cars; I drew trucks," said Ed Welburn.

Yet today, holding all that in common with so many boys gone to middle-aged men, Welburn remains, at 53, distinct: the first African-American to be the head of design for a major automobile manufacturer. Welburn is only the sixth person to hold the title of design chief at General Motors Corp., a job he gained six months ago.

This is some needed good news after reading about Dru! ;)

http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2004/04/17/driven_by_design/

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
The History Channel did a small segment on him whae they covered the history of the automobile not long ago. I was really impressed with his talents, and it made me remember a kid I went to school with who at the age of 12 had the ability to pencil draw so well that his art looked like a photograph. He too drew cars, drag cars, hot rods etc. But the funny thing is he always insisted he didn't want to become a Graphic artist, or use his "talents" for his career.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.