PDA

View Full Version : Collecting "similar" images based on appearance??

m021478
Apr 4, 2009, 01:45 AM
Can anyone recommend a Mac application that can aid in identifying "similar" images (from a specified group of many images) based on visual appearance??

In the past, I've used Microsoft's Expression Media Pro (formerly iView Media Pro) to assist me in gathering 'like' images which are similar in visual appearance to one another. This proved to be a tremendous aid over the years in situations where I found myself trying to collect images that were 'virtual' duplicates of one another, but could not be collected by so-called 'duplicate finder' apps because they didn't share the same metadata, resource fork, date created/modified, size, name, etc...

An example of how this might happen:

"Open" an image into Photoshop
"Edit Menu > Duplicate...",
"Save As" with a different name...

(in this example, some of the original metadata would be retained, but other identifiable info would be lost).

Another example would be if you

"Open" an image into Photoshop
"Select All"
"Copy"
"New Document" (which inherently uses the copied dimensions and resolution on the clipboard from the previous step)
"Paste"
"Flatten"
"Save As"

Here is a screenshot of Expression Media Pro's "Show Similar" dialog box:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/54787/Screenshots/Picture%20143.png

Without going off on too much of a tangent, I've lost complete faith in iVew Media Pro (which used to be my Digital Asset Management app of choice) ever since Microsoft bought it and turned it into Expression Media Pro...it's been way too buggy and has become all but unusable for me and my day-to-day needs...

It would be a tremendous help if someone could help me out here by recommending a Mac app to find and gather images based on their appearance...

Thanks!