PDA

View Full Version : Really stupid question...connecting eMac to internet

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 01:36 PM
I bought a cheap wireless adapter on eBay (dumb idea, I know, but I've done it before for my PC and it worked) And I'm having a little trouble connecting.

Basically, the program it runs through asks me to input my IP address. Well, I looked it up on my iBook, but when I put that address in, it says something to the tune of "This IP address is already in use."

So...am I doing something wrong? Or is this thing just crap like I expected? :o

dukebound85
Apr 4, 2009, 01:37 PM
whats the model

i will say that i have had a really hard time with usb wirelless adapters with macs for some reason

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 01:44 PM
whats the model

i will say that i have had a really hard time with usb wirelless adapters with macs for some reason

I'm not really sure. I don't have the packaging it came with anymore, I think, and anyway it's kind of one of those generic adapters.

cube
Apr 4, 2009, 01:46 PM
Well, if the iBook is using that IP address in the network, you'd use something slightly different. Normally changing the last number to something that is not used in your network would do the trick.

Of course, the easiest would be that your router had a DHCP server, and this adapter could be configured to use DHCP. Same for your other computers.

But if you need to connect between your different computers/printers/etc., and the router does not have a DHCP reservation facility so that you can configure fixed IPs on the router according to MAC address, you have to go with true fixed addresses like you have now.

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 01:51 PM
Well, if the iBook is using that IP address in the network, you'd use something slightly different. Normally changing the last number to something that is not used in your network would do the trick.

Well, I did manage to finally get it to accept an IP by doing that. However, even though it says both in the program that runs the adapter, and in OS X's network settings that it's connected and working, I still get the "page load error" instantly in Firefox.

EDIT: Crap,never mind. I just realized my iBook connects using DHCP, and I had it set to connect manually through my eMac. Changed the settings to connect using DHCP, now it works.

Thank you for your help, I wouldn't have figured that out otherwise. :o