PDA

View Full Version : USB 2.0/Firewire PCI Card, not enough power?

Impreza
Apr 18, 2004, 12:31 AM
I bought a card from *cough* eBay *cough*. It was labeled compatible with OS X. I installed it into my 1.25 DP PowerMac. The USB ports worked, not sure if it runs at USB 2.0 speeds though. However, whenever I started up my computer or restarted my system, a dialogue box would pop up saying something about there's not enough power and it's going to disable the USB hub (I assumed it was the card). It still works, I'm just wondering if it'll be a potential future problem. Also, the firewire ports on the card don't work. I'm sure this card would work fine and dandy on a PC, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a PCI firewire/USB 2.0 card that works for the MDD DP 1.25 PowerMacs.

It's been a while since I've asked a question here. The last time I asked something here was a year ago when I was making my switch to Macs for school. The people here were helpful and since then, I never looked back. =)

So summary of questions:
-"Insufficient power, disabling USB hub" message from USB/firewire card a problem later?
-Which specific PCI cards with firewire/USB would work for sure with MDD DP PowerMacs? "Any" isn't an answer with this question. ^_^;

Sun Baked
Apr 18, 2004, 10:45 AM
If the hubs, devices, and/or card are reporting the wrong information to the OS -- then the OS tends to disable them when they would draw too much power.

If you unpowered device that needs a lot of power into a low power port, the OS deactivates the device.

If you go the the Apple System Profiler/Devices and Volumes you should be able to see what the System in reading.

Sweetfeld28
Apr 18, 2004, 11:54 AM
Is this card a generic card or is is a manufactured card by a company such as OrangeMicro? If it is from a company like OrangeMicro, i would check the companies website, and see if they have downloadable drivers for it. Good Luck.