PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PowerBook G4

dontwalkhand
Apr 4, 2009, 03:03 PM
This upcoming Friday, I get my paycheck, and a friend is going to sell me is 12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1GB of RAM 80GB HDD for $200. Is this a good deal?

clyde2801
Apr 4, 2009, 04:54 PM
It's a hell of a deal. I got an identical one two weeks ago for $400, and I'm tickled to death with it.

darngooddesign
Apr 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
Thats a great deal.

Wild-Bill
Apr 4, 2009, 04:58 PM
OMG that's a GREAT deal! I think they've been going for about 500, so you got lucky. I'm typing from mine now as we speak. Had it since Nov 2005, and still waiting for Apple to release a real replacement to it. The Air is not a replacement for the 12" Powerbook. Love my 12" Powerbook.

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 05:00 PM
Man, I wish I had your luck. :p

That's a great deal for a great machine. Buy it and enjoy. :)

Jurwin
Apr 4, 2009, 05:18 PM
It's a great deal. That ancient piece of technology would make a great paperweight! I know mine does. For a bit more you could have gotten an intel macbook.

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 05:20 PM
It's a great deal. That ancient piece of technology would make a great paperweight! I know mine does. For a bit more you could have gotten an intel macbook.

Define "a bit more". $400 more isn't "a bit" in my book.

Jurwin
Apr 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
Define "a bit more". $400 more isn't "a bit" in my book.

An intel macbook can be had for 500$, much better deal imho.

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 05:38 PM
An intel macbook can be had for 500$, much better deal imho.

Maybe. And for most people, I'm sure it is. But it all really depends on your needs in a computer. Some people can't justify spending that much when they can have a machine that fits their needs for less.

Look, I'm not turning this into an argument. I realize you dislike PPC computers. You can have your own opinions, obviously. But it's completely unprofessional and childish to bash others' opinions because they differ from your own.

erratikmind
Apr 4, 2009, 05:41 PM
That's one heck of a deal you got yourself there. Congrats and enjoy your new toy. :D

Jurwin
Apr 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe. And for most people, I'm sure it is. But it all really depends on your needs in a computer. Some people can't justify spending that much when they can have a machine that fits their needs for less.

Look, I'm not turning this into an argument. I realize you dislike PPC computers. You can have your own opinions, obviously. But it's completely unprofessional and childish to bash others' opinions because they differ from your own.

Lol you're a funny girl. When did I bash other people's opinions?

clyde2801
Apr 4, 2009, 09:57 PM
And if apple put an intel chip in the 12" form factor, I'd buy it in a minute. I would not be able to give apple my money quickly enough. But they won't-and since I like the form of the 12" better than the 13"-I'll make do with the g4 powerbook for turfing around the house.

I have a powerbook, a unibody macbook pro, and an imac. Each has their own uses, strengths and weaknesses. The PB is great for light weight stuff, I admit that it would be almost painful to encode videos on; that's why I have 4 gigs of ram in my MBP.

On the positive side, at least Jurwin is showing a little more tact than he was previously. I mean, irritating is WAY better than flat out obnoxious...:D

dontwalkhand
Apr 4, 2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to buy the PowerBook.

I already have an Intel iMac, so if I need Windows, or something that is Intel only, I can always go on my iMac for that. :) No plans to encode video or anything of the sort on the PowerBook, just going to use it for school, and my "around the house" computer.

I can't wait to get it, he is going to drop it off this Friday.

SkyBell
Apr 4, 2009, 10:20 PM
And if apple put an intel chip in the 12" form factor, I'd buy it in a minute. I would not be able to give apple my money quickly enough.

Totally agreed. I would sell everything I have if I had to to pay for that. :D

clyde2801
Apr 5, 2009, 04:37 PM
Totally agreed. I would sell everything I have if I had to to pay for that. :D

<reads cassie's reply>
<reads motto on cassie's avatar and signature page>
<reads cassie's reply>
<looks confused>

SkyBell
Apr 5, 2009, 08:58 PM
<reads cassie's reply>
<reads motto on cassie's avatar and signature page>
<reads cassie's reply>
<looks confused>

Just because I prefer PPC doesn't mean I won't use Intel. ;)

Hrududu
Apr 5, 2009, 09:02 PM
Awesome price. I actually just got a 1.5GHz 12" on ebay yesterday to replace my 867MHz one becuase I love the size so much. I spent $375 after shipping, so I'd say for $200 its worth it even if its rough.

Eddyisgreat
Apr 5, 2009, 09:15 PM
Good price as long as the condition is right.

MultiFinder17
Apr 5, 2009, 10:45 PM
Awesome deal :D

You're gonna love your little 12" PowerBook; I also have the 1.5GHz with the RAM maxed out, and it's a little champ. I fully plan on keeping the little bugger around as long as I possibly can :)

ddeadserious
Apr 6, 2009, 12:36 AM
Awesome deal, I found one for my girlfriends sister for college and I drool over it everytime I see it. Just an awesome form factor to it. Hopefully my transition from my MBP to unibody MB will quench that thirst a little bit,

clyde2801
Apr 6, 2009, 06:09 AM
Awesome deal, I found one for my girlfriends sister for college and I drool over it everytime I see it. Just an awesome form factor to it. Hopefully my transition from my MBP to unibody MB will quench that thirst a little bit,

The mb has a nice form factor, good portability, but not the same as the 12" pb. Have you tried the screen on the MB; will it work for you? Apple has continued in it's time honored tradition in putting lower quality screens in its consumer level laptops...

It's better than the white macbook screen, IMO. And it can be so bright with the LED's that if you turn it up all the way, it will give you a tan. I found the contrast, viewing angle and ability to display blacks and dark colors woefully deficient, through calibrating it can very much help.

ddeadserious
Apr 6, 2009, 09:10 AM
The mb has a nice form factor, good portability, but not the same as the 12" pb. Have you tried the screen on the MB; will it work for you? Apple has continued in it's time honored tradition in putting lower quality screens in its consumer level laptops...

It's better than the white macbook screen, IMO. And it can be so bright with the LED's that if you turn it up all the way, it will give you a tan. I found the contrast, viewing angle and ability to display blacks and dark colors woefully deficient, through calibrating it can very much help.
I have only played with the unibody macbook in the store once or twice. I bought my MBP 3 years ago for graphic design, but have since changed majors, and I'm really no longer a "power-user". Hopefully the display doesn't bother me, but I haven't sold my MBP yet, so if I don't like the MB, I'll just resell it.

Thank you for heads up, appreciate it, and I'll be sure to calibrate it when I get it.

/thread hijack

clyde2801
Apr 6, 2009, 11:18 AM
I have only played with the unibody macbook in the store once or twice. I bought my MBP 3 years ago for graphic design, but have since changed majors, and I'm really no longer a "power-user". Hopefully the display doesn't bother me, but I haven't sold my MBP yet, so if I don't like the MB, I'll just resell it.

Thank you for heads up, appreciate it, and I'll be sure to calibrate it when I get it.

/thread hijack

When you do, find out what model screen you've got, and download a setting from the mb thread for it. It will save you an a$$load of time.

dontwalkhand
Apr 6, 2009, 01:10 PM

yeah I can't wait for the PowerBook. I will post pics when I get it on friday or saturday.

Wild-Bill
Apr 9, 2009, 10:04 AM
Nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING, can replace the 12" Powerbook. Not yet anyway.

Neither the Macbook nor the MBA is a suitable replacement. And like I've stated before on other threads, and like it's been stated in this thread, if Apple ever eventually comes to its senses and releases a laptop with the same form factor as my beloved 12" Powerbook, with updated goodies inside, there would be no stopping me from buying one immediately.

One of Apple's worst blunders was discontinuing that laptop. It's a great form factor. For some unknown reason, Steve Jobs thinks that everyone needs a widescreen glossy screen. They DON'T. :mad:

Good luck with your new (to you) 12" Powerbook!