PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on putting a router on my iMac that will work on my old eMacwork

rockrat71
Apr 4, 2009, 09:56 PM
My primary computer is an a iMac with the following specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM memory. It runs OS 10.4.11 It is hooked up to a cable modem.

I am looking for a way for my old eMac (not exactly sure of its specs but it's a decent computer running OS 10.3.???) to be hooked up to the internet as well so other family members can be on the computer at the same time. I've been told I need a router but am overwhelmed searching the internet for what kind of router to by and how it works exactly. I don't know anyone else who is on a Mac to ask for advice. :confused:

Can anyone recommend a mac friendly router that I can hook up to my iMac that will also allow my eMac to access the internet? Sorry for my rambling. Thanks for your help!

txnoob
Apr 4, 2009, 10:50 PM
First, routers are not PC/Mac specific. Many might suggest the Apple Airport, but any router will do. Here's a cheap one at Newegg.com that has great reviews. I bought it and works well with my PCs and Macs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833704002

Without knowing the specs of your eMac, and the one adapter I know that works on my eMac requires 10.4.6 or higher, the best would be to get factory airport off card off Ebay or move the eMac close to the router and plug it in via Ethernet and then have your iMac connect wirelessly.

It's not as hard as it sounds.

rockrat71
Apr 5, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your help! I know my eMac only has 10.3 so I'll need to find a router that works with that OS.

Hopefully I can figure this out! :)

hughvane
Apr 5, 2009, 05:29 PM
I know my eMac only has 10.3 so I'll need to find a router that works with that OS.

My situation - if it'll help yours. I use my G4 eMac as my primary computer, but I also have a G3 iMac and a G3 b/w tower. The eMac is on Tiger, the others are on Panther (and Classic). All three are connected via ethernet, and I can use them simultaneously if need be (unlikely). The OS on the machines has little to do with the ethernet.

The essential component is an inexpensive ethernet switch or hub, which is then connected to a router. Example of ethernet hubs are found here http://search1.superwarehouse.com/search?w=ethernet+hub (see D-Link and Linksys).

Connect your various Macs via ethernet cables to the hub, and then via another ethernet cable to your router - and you're away! It truly is simple.

You can, as suggested by txnoob, use wireless in order to obviate all the cables, and to facilitate use of your computers in different parts of your home.

rockrat71
Apr 6, 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks so much for the ethernet info.