Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Here's a thread I made in the MacNN Forum that was largely ignored. It concerns GLOD:

Bondi Blue System Configuration:
- 233 MHz G3
- 512 MB RAM
- 40 GB HD 7200 rpm

Okay, so I upgraded my Bondi Blue's iMac hardware, as you can see. It's been suffering from the GLOD problem for a while on and off. Now it seems to have gotten horribly bad after the hardware upgrade (possibly because of the 7200 rpm HD). Anyways, before any problems occurred, I installed Panther and OS 9.2.2. Panther was running fine. But, whenever I boot up the computer, the CRT flickers (doing a resolution change, I believe) and obviously the screen turns off with the green light still on. I can boot into OS 9 just fine because I have no screen flickers then. But OS X is problematic. I was wondering if this is fixable. Because when I start-up Panther from the CD, it doesn't flicker even though it goes through a similar boot up sequence. Perhaps there is a workaround?

(I had originally posted this question in the old GLOD thread that has over 6,000 views, but I guess it got ignored)

BTW, what kind of CRT do I have to buy if I want to use an external monitor with my iMac? I'm not willing to pay up $300 for a repair (that may not be a permanent fix) on a machine I invested about $300 already for the above upgrades.

Thanks.

Hopefully the MacRumors people are more helpful.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Needed a bump. It's getting ignored and slaughtered by the rush of posts. We really need a separate troubleshooting section...

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Sounds like the refresh rate is off when you boot

Can you get to the desktop in Panther? If so open the display preferences and up your refresh rate. Since your monitor is a little older I'd try 70Hz. Though upping it won't hurt anything, it'll just turn the monitor off then wait 10 seconds and return it to the original setting. Also you might need to check "Show resolutions this monitor can't display".

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Does anybody know what kind of external monitor/adapter works with the Bondi Blue iMac using the internal monitor port?

jane doe

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
That iMac will not accept an external monitor without a lot of modification. It might be worth it to have it repaired right.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I remember reading all I need is an adapter to connect the video port to an external monitor.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I think this is the adapter: This Adapter?

The plan is to leave the iMac case open, connect that adapter to the video port that would normally connect to the internal CRT's cable and attach a new monitor to the other end. Now to find an old CRT monitor, and I'm set... Correct me if I'm wrong about the monitor cable type. I can't find the exact tech specs for it.

JackRipper

macrumors regular
May 14, 2002
South Carolina
applekid said:
I think this is the adapter: This Adapter?

The plan is to leave the iMac case open, connect that adapter to the video port that would normally connect to the internal CRT's cable and attach a new monitor to the other end. Now to find an old CRT monitor, and I'm set... Correct me if I'm wrong about the monitor cable type. I can't find the exact tech specs for it.

That looks right to me. I did something similar to my Bondi iMac. I had an old Apple monitor though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.