Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I'm thinking of signing up for Amazon S3 for remote backups. Does anyone here use it at all? What is the service like?

Any information about them is appreciated.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I use jungledisk for backing up my photos ... it uses S3 for the backend. SE is cheap (about $1/month for the amount I've uploaded so far) and reliable.

Are you thinking of using a third party application for backups or rolling your own? S3 seems to have a pretty well developed API. I thought about writing my own application for the hell of it, but the amount of time needed to produce something reliable put me off that idea quickly)

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I use jungledisk for backing up my photos ... it uses S3 for the backend. SE is cheap (about $1/month for the amount I've uploaded so far) and reliable.

Are you thinking of using a third party application for backups or rolling your own? S3 seems to have a pretty well developed API. I thought about writing my own application for the hell of it, but the amount of time needed to produce something reliable put me off that idea quickly)

Initially I was just going to use Cyberduck and manually backup my data but in the long term I was planning on integrating it into my website.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I've used S3 on a few projects, it worked really well as a cheaper method of serving up images. For backup purposes, it might not be ideal, as anything you upload is going to publicly visible.

If you're in search of a secure backup solution, why not just get a Time Capsule or Drobo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.