Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
hey guys i have had an issue with my macbook recently where i am connected to the router but my internet does not work, it works in other locations except fro my home. it works wirelessly and my iphone and other wireless devices are all fine its just the macbook, any ideas as i am lost on this one.

thanks for your time i really need to fix this
InfernoUk

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Create a new location in the Network preference pane and or power cycle the modem and router. I'm assuming it's something to do with your setup and configuration since you're able to gain access in other locations.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
those steps did not work sorry

also software update never works cable or wireless if thats related or helps

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Hmm...usually we can isolate a problem but in your case, we still don't know whether it's your MacBook or home network. MacBook will work on other networks but not home but at the same time other devices can gain access to your home network?

What is the IP your MacBook is stating?

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
where abouts would i find the ip? also the other networks use Proxies i enable through firefox etc, these however are disabled when at home but possibly the clash somwhere? update dosent work on that network either

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
note im on ethernet, ip is:

i think wireless is auto sign or something im not sure without details of where to find it

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Do me a favor and run Network Diagnosis from the Network preference pane (System Preferences>Network>Assist Me>Diagnosis). Note your results and post them.

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
when running them for the airport connection it resulted in 'cannot fix this problem'

as i said it connects to the router just fine but no further

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
yes but everything else works with the router, 5 other pcs/laptops and phones so it cant be the router??

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Do the following:

1. Turn AirPort off
2. Navigate to "Macintosh HD\Library\Preferences\SystemConfiguration
3. Click and drag the files: "com.apple.airport.preferences.plist" and "preferences.plist" to the trash. Make sure that you have removed both files completely.
4. Restart computer and try to connect using AirPort (make sure ethernet is not connected)

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
that didnt fix the wireless issue but it did fix the software update strangely

InfernoUk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
on the airport connection

Ping has started ...

ping: cannot resolve google.co.uk: Unknown host

on wired it was fine

edit: i have to go offline now ill check back tomorro and see if anyone else is abe to contribute i just dont understand this atall.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Weird how Software Update works...did you restart the computer after deleting the two .plist files? If not, restart and then connect with AirPort again and go to 199.181.132.250 in Safari, hopefully you'll load http://www.go.com (use the IP address)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.