PDA

View Full Version : PB alu 15" SD - Things looking patchy?

Fauldzy
Apr 18, 2004, 07:05 PM
Hi, as a newbie to macrumors i'ld just like to say a big 'ello' to everyone! Now to my patchy situation... I recently purchased the above mentioned PB about 2 months ago now. I am sooooo careful with my expensive, new toy and I tend to be a bit anal when it comes to the slightest details.

Browsing through this forum has led me to worry a little... but just recently I am quite sure that I have started to notice darker patches on my LCD!!! OH NO, or it just me?

Two other members of my family have sat infront of my solid colour filled LCD & have managed to point out the exact areas on my screen that I believe to appear discoloured. This is not looking good. (haha get it?) erm OK mayb not..

Here (http://ee.1asphost.com/Fauldzy/LCD_forum/lcd.htm) I have done my best to take pictures of my problem. You may have to study each picture as I do not believe it is apparently obvious.

A long post I know and I am sorry, but I really feel I need the opinions of you, the experts! Your opinions count as most of you, no doubt, live and breathe Apple. So what is your verdict here, any cause for concern? Is this patchy LCD 'normal' ?

Hope you can help - cheers - Chris. :confused: <-- BIG time

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry.. Also I failed to mention I am from the UK - just outside London. The PB is an import - native Californian! How does this affect me in terms of warranty?

musicpyrite
Apr 18, 2004, 07:40 PM
I do notice the patches, maby you should take it to an Apple store, and hav
e them check it out. If you don't live near a store, send it to Apple; you should be still under warranty.

Anyways, welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your new 15' beauty. ;)

russgra
Apr 18, 2004, 07:53 PM
I have the same problem with my 15"PB Combo, a big dark patch near the bottom right.

I also developed the dredded 'white spots' after about 3 months. If you also develop the white spots you can have the screen replaced (which is what I will do when I find the time).

See
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86632

PowerMacMan
Apr 18, 2004, 08:09 PM
My PC LAPTOP experienced this too... So it's not just Apple... However they aren't huch patches, just near the top, no bigger than one inch squared.... Sorry for the mentioning of me having a PC, I know, but I'm waiting for the NEW PowerMacs!

latergator116
Apr 18, 2004, 08:28 PM
I can definately see some dark patches (I dont't know why, but looking at that screen made me a little dizzy. I bet if you changed your screen background to a non-solid image, it would be less noticeable.

Nonetheless, you may have a uneven/faulty backlight. I would recomend calling apple and see if they can fix it for you. Good luck.

Fauldzy
Apr 18, 2004, 08:52 PM
Agreed, I could change my background IF I wanted to hide my problem! Thing is I spent a small fortune on this thing... I kinda expect the quality, naturally, especially from the likes of Apple.

My main concern is that I do quite a lot on the graphics side (photoshop etc) so I feel having an all over equally proportionate coloured screen is important for this reason alone....
:mad:

latergator116
Apr 18, 2004, 09:52 PM
I can totally understand how you feel. If I were you, I would sent it in and get it reapired. They are aleays very quick with the repairs and don't usually take more than four days.

Fauldzy
Apr 19, 2004, 02:03 PM
Hey, thanks for listening. Yes I think I will investigate into getting my problem looked at/repaired. Im glad you have managed to recognise the patches and it is not just me!

Im more pee'd off now at the fact I was too impatient. Had I known two months down the line an upgraded PB was going to appear AND at a lower price, I would have most certainly waited!

Frustrated is the word!

bah!

:eek:

iGav
Apr 21, 2004, 06:52 AM
Ring AppleCare and get them to ship you a box and get it repaired. That's pretty serious uneveness in the lighting of the screen. The good thing is that the Apple staff can access the internet so if you give them your URL when you call them, they'll be able to see it for themselves. I did a similar thing when I experienced the dreaded screen interference and I put a QuickTime movie on my site so they could see exactly what was wrong as the problem was quite difficult to describe.

My TiBook developed a problem similar to yours last year and it gradually deteriorated. So I had Apple replace the screen. :)

If you plan on keeping it for more than a year, I really do suggest you buy AppleCare Extended Warranty... invaluable on a PowerBook ;)

sinser
Apr 21, 2004, 12:19 PM
You should take a look and eventually post at:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@80.RMD2afrAkLM.1@.599c3e3f

As you see we are a lot of people with this problem.

aricher
Apr 21, 2004, 12:49 PM
I had 2 dark thumb-sized patches on the very top of the display (PB 17) - about 1 inch in from the sides. I took it into the Apple Store, the genius sent it in, it came back wth a new screen in 3 days - needless to say, I love AppleCare. Send it in - they'll hook you up.