PDA

View Full Version : mac g5 new master

cman44
Apr 6, 2009, 03:33 AM
i just installed a new 2nd, (750 gb) hard drive into my g5 because my first 250gb is nearly full. I'm trying to launch logic but the file is way to big. It wont let me install this program from my new, second hard drive because the message i get is that it supposed to launch from the primary or running hard drive. Can anyone tell me how i can make my second hard drive my new primary hard drive? I got the .dmg for my leapord osx. but not the originals anymore. can anybody help me with this. i'm pretty sure it's simple, i just don't know how to do this.

Matt Dean
Apr 6, 2009, 06:24 AM
Get "Super Duper" it's a free cloning software. Clone your original drive to the new drive. When finished, simply choose that drive to start up with.

Word of caution, though. You will have to re-authorize plug-ins and some programs, Due to the new drive ID.

fatespawn
Apr 6, 2009, 08:16 AM
Word of caution, though. You will have to re-authorize plug-ins and some programs, Due to the new drive ID.

Really? I've never witnessed this. Which programs?

POLOgt
Apr 6, 2009, 10:29 AM
I just use time machine, if you have Leopard on your G5 and an external HD.
It is the easiest way that,

Even using Time Machine backup to move to a larger HD,
I had a problem with MatLab licensing and had to get it renewed, but nothing else kicked back... most of it is hacked though :confused:

Fomaphone
Apr 6, 2009, 10:33 AM
you can do a clean os X install on the new hd, then use migration assistant to move all of your apps and files to the new HD.

Matt Dean
Apr 6, 2009, 03:35 PM
Really? I've never witnessed this. Which programs?

I had a problem with my Waves plug-ins as well as a few Virtual Instruments. Of course, anything that uses a dongle was fine.

Actually, I had several things = to my surprise = that needed re-authorizing when I switched my hard drive.

Lucibelle
Apr 6, 2009, 04:21 PM
i just installed a new 2nd, (750 gb) hard drive into my g5 because my first 250gb is nearly full. I'm trying to launch logic but the file is way to big. It wont let me install this program from my new, second hard drive because the message i get is that it supposed to launch from the primary or running hard drive. Can anyone tell me how i can make my second hard drive my new primary hard drive? I got the .dmg for my leapord osx. but not the originals anymore. can anybody help me with this. i'm pretty sure it's simple, i just don't know how to do this.

Am I understand this right? You've been running Logic and running/saving your songs on the same drive? That's a lot of work for one drive to do. Why not just move your old songs onto your new drive, (back them all up first) run Logic from the drive you've been using, and start saving your songs onto the new drive. You should also see a nice increase in performance by doing this as well.

cman44
Apr 7, 2009, 03:16 PM
Get "Super Duper" it's a free cloning software. Clone your original drive to the new drive. When finished, simply choose that drive to start up with.

how exactly do i choose the new drive to start up with?